Rudolph Day Book Club -A Christmas Carol

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
This month our challenge was to read A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens.

This is one of my favourite all time Christmas stories. I love that it is enjoyable on all levels In school we had to read this in grade 5. I think it would be a good Christmas story to read with a child who feels they've outgrown picture books.

There are so many different versions of this story now that it is nice to go back to the original. I love the way Charles Dickens weaves his story with so much wit. The quality of writing was so much different back then.

Just a few questions to get the conversation rolling....

1. What is your favourite version of A Christmas Carol on screen? (i.e. Muppet's Christmas Carol, Scrooged, etc.)
2. A favourite quote or scene?
3. What lessons can we learn?
4. Any ideas or traditions that you would like to incorporate into your own Christmas?

1. What is your favourite version of A Christmas Carol on screen? (i.e. Muppet's Christmas Carol, Scrooged, etc.)
Mickey's Christmas Carol......and the old movie with Allistair Sims
"If they would rather die," said Scrooge, "they had better do it and decrease the surplus population."
Plus the whole opening paragraph with "Marley was dead to begin with." Everytime I hear that opening it feels Christmasy.

"God Bless us every one." Taken at face value the character Scrooge seems pretty extreme, but don't we all sometimes forget to help others? His nephew is also a good example for us. Despite the many rejections he receives from his uncle he persists....and cheerily! It also touches on the consequences of valuing money above all.
4. Any ideas or traditions that you would like to incorporate into your own Christmas?
I loved the way foods and odors were described in this book. You could practically see and taste everything. My goal is to take more time to really enjoy the details of the season...the smell of the cookies baking, the shimmer of the crystallized sugar on top, etc.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
FrostyShimmer - your thoughts on this book were so nice! The book is a wonderful classic.

I would love to see it set in modern day times as a movie or TV show. The tiny "upper class" in America - which has become so much richer lately! And the many working families, without health insurance for their children...... So many people suffering financial hardship. The classic story fits every generation, I guess.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
1. What is your favourite version of A Christmas Carol on screen?

I would have to say that for me it is The Muppet's Christmas Carol. I adore the muppets and I think Micheal Caine did an excellent job at playing Scrooge!

It is hard to pick a favorite scene, but I very much enjoy the opening scene with the ghost.

"You could be a dollop of mustard!"

I appreciate the way the Cratchitt family pulls together, despite their financial status, and show each other love and respect, etc. It's a good example to follow, regardless of what may be in our pocketbooks. Life is uncertain, money can be there today and gone tomorrow, but having a close knit family/friend network to lean on is so valuable!

I would like to focus on enjoying "Christmas Present" more! Just like FrostyShimmer was describing! I plan and think and dream and plan for Christmas for so long...and then the actual season, the actual day of it seems to rush by so quickly...it can be disapointing.

So I want to try and do better on that this year and each to year to come...