Rudolph Day Food Bank Idea...

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
It occurred to me on my way back to work today - as I passed our local food bank office and saw the line of people waiting outside - that it might work well to plan to drop off donations on each Rudolph Day of the year.

I know that people are in need year round and I could definitely challenge myself to allocate some of our grocery budget each month to items to be donated. We have this sort of thing as part of our Christmas Countdown plan, of course, but thought I'd share the idea in case others were inspired by it.

If you don't know where your local food bank is or it isn't easy to drop off to (out of the way, etc.) there are frequently year round programs at grocery stores that make this easy. For example, Meijer has special shopping bags you can fill with groceries as you check out and there is a bin they go in and then they take care of getting them to the food bank.

In the past, I've taken advantage of really good sales combined with coupons to buy things for donating. Once there were coupons that made boxes of pasta free and I was able to get 20 of them and drop them off. I normally don't buy that many coupon items - just enough for our family - but for donating I will bend that rule :)

Just a thought for the group! :)

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
That's a great idea! It's always easy to remember the food bank at Christmas, but I confess I rarely donate during the rest of the year.

Also, with coupons and rebates, it's easy to donate food items at little cost even for those of us on tight budgets.

Thanks for the reminder :)

kringle

Premiere Member
Sep 9, 2011
I love this idea! We will be doing this at our house from now on. Thank you for the inspiration!

Chris

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
What a great idea! I know at the holidays we think about RAOK and advent helping others but forget sometimes during the year.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
This is a fantastic idea. I will have to look around for a place to donate.

snowlvr

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Western North Carolina
Awesome idea! We have a grocery cart used to collect food for our local food pantry at church and can drop off anytime-this will help me remember to actually do it!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
AJ you always have great ideas! will add that in my Rudy day journal

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
awesome idea...I might have to give myself a mental reminder of that.

angelpugs

MHH Member
Oct 2, 2009
north adams ma.
I do that here and once a month our postal persons pickup can food which you leave at your mailbox,and i always include yam,cranberry sauce and can of pumpkin.

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
Im not sure that we have food banks here. I know we have things at Christmas but Im not sure about the rest of the year. I will find out!

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
You are a beautiful person Aunt Jamelle. Thank you for sharing this. So many people forget about the shelters until it's the holidays although they need food year round.

I would also like for everyone to keep in mind that most areas also have Veterans Homes which are sadly under funded. These men need socks, shoes, slippers, coats, clothing, toiletries, and so much more. These locations are generally in the worst part of town because of the limited funding they have. They also love small pillows which helps those in wheelchairs.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Our local food bank use to be in a church here in town, then when the church was closing down it moved to another small towns church and thought I heard that they also stopped it. Will have to check it. Like others we normally do that at Christmas and Allens bus donates canned food around November. Instead of paying for a ticket you take in canned goods.

We don't have a place close around here for Veterans either.

I will have to dig around and see exactly what is in the area.

We have brought the fleece throws before and given to our fire department so they have them on hand.

I guess nursing homes could also use lap covers. Or pillows for wheel chairs--like Ellen said. They could also use socks and such. Some have no family to provide for them.

I have at different times gave school supplies to teachers who normally buys stuff from their own money to help in their room.

GREAT ideal AJ to do something monthly.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
A monthly donation for Rudolph Day is a wonderful idea.
My eldest son is an active volunteer at our food bank here, I send fresh veggies from the garden as well (plant a row, give a row).

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
I love this idea!! We're new to this area but I will find out where to donate. Adding to the Rudolph Day section of my Notebook!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Good job AJ.
My family donate to a charity every Christmas but I have not thought about doing it every month. Sometimes the local library has a basket that you can put tinned goods in, but I do not know if we have food banks here. Will have to keep an ear out.