Rudy Day June 2020

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Good morning and welcome to June. I thought that I would post a few ideas early in the month so that we can enjoy Rudy Day for a bit longer. While most of you are out and about enjoying the warmer weather it is Winter here in Australia and we are hunkering down. I hope you like some of the ideas that I have found for this Rudy Day.

Book, Debbie Macomber Alaskan Holiday. I have read this and totally enjoyed it. She writes great stories and I find once I pick up one of her books it is hard for me to put it down.

upload_2020-6-10_10-10-21.jpeg

An uplifting tale of finding unexpected love in the Alaskan wilderness from bestselling author, Debbie Macomber. Before beginning her new job as sous chef at one of Seattle's finest restaurants, Josie Stewart takes on a six-month position cooking at a lodge in an Alaskan lake town. It's only temporary--or so she thinks, as she becomes a valued part of the local community, falling in love with the people who call the Klutina Lake home.But one man, in particular, stands out among the rest of Josie's new friends: an intriguing swordsmith whose very existence forces her to question whether her heart wants to return to Washington at all.

This pie recipe is one that I made twice last year. The first time was for CIJ just to see if my family would like it. We did and it made it's way to the Christmas rotation. It is a frozen pie and we found it very refreshing on the hot Summer days around Christmas.

upload_2020-6-10_10-10-8.jpeg

Fluffy Peppermint Pie
Author: recipe and photo by http://www.bettycrocker.com/
Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups chocolate wafer cookie crumbs
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1/4 cup butter or margarine melted
  • 30 large marshmallows
  • 1 can 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
  • 2 cups whipping heavy cream
  • 3 drops red food color
  • 2 teaspoons peppermint extract
  • 1/4 cup crushed hard peppermint candies
Instructions
  • 1) Mix cookie crumbs, sugar and butter. Press evenly in bottom and up side of ungreased pie plate, 9×1 1/2 inches.
  • 2) Place marshmallows and milk in large microwavable bowl. Microwave uncovered on High about 3 minutes, stirring once, until marshmallows are melted. Refrigerate about 25 minutes or until mixture mounds slightly when dropped from a spoon.
  • 3) Beat whipping cream, food color and peppermint extract in chilled medium bowl with electric mixer on high speed until stiff. Stir marshmallow mixture until blended; fold into whipped cream. Fold in crushed candies. Mound mixture into crust. Cover and freeze about 5 hours o r until frozen. Cover and freeze any remaining pie.

For some crafts, I really enjoyed the youtube channel using items from the Dollar store. You have different items to us but I am keen to look for some of these supplies once the stores open up again.

These small boxes are made by a coworker and I have received one the past few years. They are made using square Christmas cards and she fills them with little tiny bags full of M&M's or Skittles.
https://www.youtube.com/redirect?stzid=Ugy0eFxmSHN61p22t2J4AaABAg&q=https://www.ehow.com/13713661/how-to-make-a-small-paper-box&event=comments&redir_token=2VQ-8dBQWzxYUuV_dziWGz3U6rJ8MTU5MTgzNTc2NEAxNTkxNzQ5MzY0

One of my favourite movies from Christmas over the past few years is "Love the Coopers". I hope that you also enjoy it. If it is not available to you please share with us what movie you ended up watching instead.

The last item I am posting had nothing to do with Christmas but thought you would be interested in a few Australian items. The first one is the Australian version of Better Homes and Gardens and the second is a weekly catalogue for a major supermarket. The catalogue is home delivered every week.
https://www.bhg.com.au/
https://www.coles.com.au/catalogues-and-specials
https://www.coles.com.au/catalogues-and-specials
I hope that the links work for you and that you enjoy my contributions....have a happy Rudy Day XOXO

Last edited:

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I am looking forward to do going through the links.:)

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I have your pie recipe in my Christmas notebook. I'm going to put needed items on the shopping list. It would be very refreshing right now. No need to wait in my house. I'm off to browse Cole's recipes. Will work on the other items this week. Thanks

GrammaDeb

Premiere Member
Jan 4, 2014
Nevada
Thank you Katrina. I have the book - I love it! I'll have to re-read it this month. The pie looks yummy, perfect for Rudy Day. I look forward to going through the links. I think dsil has The Coopers with his Christmas movies - I'll have to check. I'm ready for some Rudy Day cheer.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
I have the book too, really enjoyed it and plan to read it again. I'm looking forward to the Coles link - we used to get a lot of products from Australia when we lived on Saipan. I watch UK supermarket hauls all the time - Tesco, Sainburys, and Lidl - love to see what is available in other countries.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Thank you Katrina!

I enjoyed the Cole'ss catalog and the box making particularly.

GrammaDeb

Premiere Member
Jan 4, 2014
Nevada
I just finished watching the videos - I really enjoyed them. Fun things to make. Thank you for sharing!

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I'll have to check out that book. I don't think I've read it and I love Debbie Macomber.

I love that snowflake wreath. I'll have to give it a try. They'd be perfect for my windows at school.

I'm amazed at the Coles catalogs. That is a serious grocery ad.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Happy Rudy Day to you all.
I hope that you get the chance to sit and enjoy a little bit of Christmas today. I am sitting, dreaming and doing a little bit of prep.
In 6 short months we will be celebrating!!!

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
It was so busy here that I forgot it was the 25th! I just took some time to enjoy the videos and links. My library has the e-book version of Alaskan Holiday. I'll check it out to read this week.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
I had so much fun looking over the links and videos! Thanks so much! :)