Sept. 20 Close to Home Week

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

nursemomtothree

Retire Member
Aug 18, 2008
Tennessee
I used today to finish up my master bedroom. Hopefully I can get on here tomorrow to post my list for this week.

I hope everyone is seeing progress! A little bit is better than nothing.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
This is going to be a busy week for me.

Decluttering the kids rooms - this is a nightmare. DD keeps everything - what a packrat. DS is pretty good about letting stuff go. I think I will do it when they are at school. They are off Thursday and Friday, so I will get it done on Wednesday and hope they don't notice!!

Seasonal Spruce -Up - will have to get DH involved with this and decide what needs to be done.

Have a few stocking stuffers and a list of ideas - good enough for now.

Halloween costumes - kids are still deciding

Christmas cards - need to pull out container that has cards and supplies and get started. Wasn't going to do cards this year, but changed my mind.

Have a good week everyone,

Melanie

Cindasnow

Retire Member
Nov 6, 2007
I am already behind. I was all gungho to get started on the houseworks plan this year but it started in what has turned out to be the busiest few weeks of my year. But now the school bookfair is finished and hopefully I can get on track. My girls rooms are not that bad as we rearranged everything this summer and gave them their own rooms. The only main part left to declutter is the closet in my youngest room. This was my closet and I have not finished switching us. So this week I hope to:
-straighten up girls rooms
-shampoo girls floors
-clean out dd3 closet
-pick up main living areas ( wildly out of control since I did nothing at home last week)
- spend 30 minutes a day in my bedroom
-clean off desk
- then spend 15 minutes a day in craft room
For Christmas I am going to take stock of where I am at and what I have. I am also going to start a database on computer of who to send cards to and print labels closer to time. Begin making Christmas Cards. This week I want to make 5 cards.
I am also going to try and catch up on the reading assignments I have missed. I really want this to work. I just have to get that original motivation back.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Our Seasonal Spruce-Up List is on the list of assignments for this week. The BIG Project that I would LOVE to do for this year ----- is to hire an electrician. There are a number of fixtures which do not work any more. Including --- the back porch light and a light over the kitchen sink. I would LOVE to have an outside outlet installed -- but I don't know how much that would cost. I will have to spend some time with our finances --- seeing if this will be possible this year.

I will walk around the house and see if there are any other projects which should be done this year.

It is also time to begin working on Christmas cards. It would be great to organize that this week.

Our children are all grown and living with their spouses and children. So we do not have Kids Rooms for this week. So the Master Bedroom is my target -- and tomorrow is the Big Day!

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I seem to be juggling several weeks at once. Last year I printed out tiny lists of what I had to do each week and kept it in my wallet. Need to do that again. Getting slowed down with the kids rooms. DH is still on vacation and still has power tools and saws strewn about their rooms and hallways trying to finish them. Meanwhile, still searching for reasonably priced Euro-Shams and the ever elusive Christmas cards, among other things. I'm going downtown tomorrow and hope to knock several of these things off my list. Still getting OneNote up to speed with my notes from last year. Did pretty much get to the bottom of all the school papers that have come home in the last couple weeks.

nursemomtothree

Retire Member
Aug 18, 2008
Tennessee
The week is coming to a close. How has everyone done?

Since today is Rudy day, I might just throw in Christmas with the Kranks in the DVD player. The problem with that is....I will want to stop and watch instead of it just being background noise. Maybe I just need Christmas music.

I'm not sure that I'm staying with the weeks any more...I just had to clean out the pantry on Wed. It was driving me crazy, and took me an hour, so that shows how bad it was. I feel better though, and DH noticed how nice it was when he got back from his trip. I also got the master closet decluttered. I know that technically it goes with wardrobe week, but I couldn't help it. At least I'm still getting things done, that makes me feel better.

I hope everyone has a productive day!

rockin_granola

Retire Member
Dec 27, 2007
Go Colts!
www.rockingranola.com
Well, I'm doing okay this week, considering I just started the plan last week (but, look! I'm doing better than 2008 when I got going after Halloween LOL)

Toy DeClutter - I followed the advice on the Houseworks article and moved the big plastic things (a playstore and a grocery cart) to the garage temporarily and boxed up some toys to rotate back in later. Then I decluttered a lot of toys they no longer play with and some books, too. The girls' bedroom, my sons, and our Loft/Playroom look awesome and I'm feeling kind of proud of myself for what I was able to accomplish is just 15 minutes here and there this week. I'll take today to add some finishing touches like wash their curtains and bedspreads and then I think I'm all set there. Awesome feeling!

Spruce Up List - went through the exercise and really got the list paired down from "wishes" to what we can actually accomplish and AFFORD to do this year. It was a little painful to be so realistic, but I figure that is better than being frustrated and sad later on when we just cannot do it all. We've got a good 2 dozen or so items and I posted the list on the fridge. We've even got a few things crossed off the list so far. Hoping to get a few more tackled this weekend.

Halloween - kids are still deciding but I told them they had until the end of the day today so I have time to get costumes made by the 10th. I think they are narrowing it down LOL

Christmas Cards - I, too, decided I wasn't going to send cards this year and then changed my mind. So, I'm a little behind the plan on this one but will spend the weekend going through my address list and then dividing it into 1/5's I got a 50 free prints from shutterfly coupon code I'm thinking maybe I'll use to print a nice recent picture of the kids to include, too. Hopefully I can do mostly homemade cards this year so that the main expense will only be the postage (the expense was the main reason I was thinking of not sending cards this year ...)

Advent - the kids always get a Playmobil advent calendar and those arrived last week. I put them in one box with my Advent/Christmas devotional book and then made a note on my calendar where I put the box :)

Stocking Stuffers - this is my big task for today: brainstorming ideas and things that I can make and do, too.

Hope everyone had a great week "Close to Home"

Best Wishes!

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
My big job for the week was geting the kids to declutter their rooms. Well, they did them yesterday and I am so impressed. My daughter is a pack rat and will never get rid of anything. She got rid of all sorts of stuff - finally!! DS actually did not have much to do in his room, so he was helping his sister.

So happy!!

Melanie