September 2016 decluttering

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Now that the hot températures are almost finished it'll be time to start decluttering anew.

I plan to deep clean in the basement this Fall so I will be decluttering as I go. I also noticed I could probably declutter more paperwork and jewelry (all fake). When I'll change winter for summer clothes in the closet I will declutter as I go.

Any plans for your September decluttering?

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I have finished spring cleaning the fining room. Got some un used stuff out the door.. Actually I gave it to my mum who will be having a garage sale.
Next will be our lounge room

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
Yep! As part of the HHP I have been right through the paper work in most of the house- I still have a little to go. Have got rid of 5 bags of junk so far- shredded papers, brochures, magazines etc. Also got rid of some old towels and sheets. Got new sheets and towels- so moved the dog/ cleaning towels out the door and have designated the towels that I replaced as dog/ cleaning towels.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
We have bulk trash pick up next week where they pick up household items. We have a few things that will be going out for trash that day.

There is a local resale event coming up later this month where I will be selling the clothes and toys my kids out grew. Good way to clear stuff out and make a few bucks. What ever doesn't get sold will be donated to charity.

Lolwlias

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cadyville, NY
I am always amazed how I let papers build up on my desk. I cleaned it off when my vacation started & I cannot let it build back up.
I've been removing items I have not worn in years from my closet, taking them to the donation bins & will continue to do so.
I am also "shopping" from the freezer. I will not go to the store until items I already have in there have been used up. (Except for milk, of course.)

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
I have a few things I can box up and donate...need to tackle the paper piles too

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Today I deep clean my loungeroom. There is really not alot in this room as we really just use it to watch TV. I am sure that there will be a few things that I can get rid of.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I got rid of lots of paper from decluttering the papers from our desk/bill writing area. I will be decluttering the gift wrap area. I hope to spend 15 minutes a day this week on going through things in our basement.

Eaglesax

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Middle Georgia
Been working a spare bedroom and closets. Expecting some company this fall so had some early motivation. Spare Bedroom #2 on schedule for next week.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Sorted through my CD's and have managed to get rid of a few. Really I could toss them all because I have my music on an IPOD, but want to keep them just in case.
Re organsied a few things and put some wool in a cupboard in the loungeroom so I can just grab it when I need it.
Looking good in there now.

Skippy1707

Retire Member
Sep 5, 2016
Wales
Hello All,
Is there room for a little newbie? My name is Sam and I am about to start a good declutter tomorrow...I have been working all weekend and have 3 days off coming up and I plan to use them well. I had Friday off and have deep cleaned and decluttered the bathroom and our back porch....I think tomorrow I will start on my daughters bedroom whilst she is at school. I can then move on to my sons although they have both cleaned their room lately but I will need to make some space with Christmas approaching. I did a good declutter just after christmas and donated to a charity that helps people reset up their homes, whether there has been a disaster like a fire or in case its people needing things for their first homes, or families escaping horrid situations....So I think its safe to say I got rid of a fair bit
http://[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/welshbird/media/12716224_10153401801993807_6326467222163928539_o.jpg.html][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v469/welshbird/12716224_10153401801993807_6326467222163928539_o.jpg

Im looking forward to decluttering more too and making some breathing space!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
We are glad to have you with us Sam. Wow! you are doing good!

Skippy1707

Retire Member
Sep 5, 2016
Wales
luludou - I was very impressed the amount of stuff I got rid of.

My only slight hiccup is that my husband has a slight hoarding issues of random things - jack daniels paraphernalia and VW magazines! but I do have a slight issues with paperwork that I really must sit and sort out so these next few days I will be trying extra hard.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
The 1st year I was on here I decluttered alot. now it's just small things here and there. Of course I still have THE ATTIC (insert scary music). Now I look at each room and figure out what I'd like to see in each and work towards that goal. I also have so much less clothes that I don't wear in my closets. DH also likes to keep things, but we are slowly working on that. It is so much more fun to have a place for each thing and each thing in its place.

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
Started on the massive job that is my wardrobe today.... it will be a work in progress for at least 2 weeks... I have lots of space but lots of stuff as well. Today's effort is 2 big bags of clothes to donate, a bag of rubbish and some stuff that found its way into my wardrobe put back in the right places.

Skippy1707

Retire Member
Sep 5, 2016
Wales
Well its 11am and I have just had breakfast (I know - really?) but I am now fuelled and ready to tackle the porch and then I have a mountain of clothes upstairs to put away and by mountain I mean I have collected all the washing I have done and dried and put it on my bed and I now cannot see my bed......so this is being sorted out and put away because thats a big hurdle for me. Also another load of washing is getting put in!

If I have time though once Im done checking the forums and doing those jobs - I will tackle cleaning my daughters bedroom!

Skippy1707

Retire Member
Sep 5, 2016
Wales
Well today has been fairly productive...

I had every intention of getting the garden cut but it is so hot here in Wales - realistically its about 24 degrees but for the welsh that is practically tropical and most people are hiding or burning as we speak - I am a burner though so I decided to tackle the hallway/ porch

These are the before pictures!

and thankfully.....after about half an hour of cleaning, sweeping, moving, rehoming etc..... I can now say
  • everything from the stairs has been moved that didn't need to be there.
  • I have sorted through the paperwork that was splattered everywhere
  • I have rung the local community centre about First Aid course and a Paediatric First Aid course after finding the leaflet in said paperwork
  • The bag of dog food has now been decanted to a box and is now in the back porch tidily put away and stored.
  • I have brushed the stairs
  • I have old style beaten the doormat.
  • Swept the floor
  • All the clothes/socks/coats are away or by the washing machine now
  • All the rubbish is out
And this is the finished result!

It feels so much better to have cleared it - especially since its the first thing people see of my house and sets the initial impression!
Tomorrow the husband is off so we are taking a load of old wood and an old tumble drier to the tip - so I am now on a roll and off out to
* clear out my greenhouse to convert it to a sandblasting booth for the winter.
* laying a tarp out to dry
* cutting the grass.

The rest of tomorrow though I think I will spend tackling the living room and the under stair cupboard that comes with it. - should be fun!

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hey all, you're doing great! Welcome, Sam! You're on a roll.

I sorted through the gift wrap area and surprisingly, it wasn't all that bad. It just needed some organizing. It's back to school here so we went through the school supply bin and all the pencil cases getting rid of things.

We have a critter making its home between our walls. Attic entry is through our bedroom closet which means everything on the shelves gets removed. I went through that and discovered items we haven't needed so they are put aside.