September 2016 decluttering

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
Got rid of another 2 big bags of unwanted clothes today. Some were designer pieces- not a thing wrong with them, I just dont want them anymore. They have been dropped to a recycled designer store- whatever I get for them will be donated to the local children's hospital- you have a choice you can take the money less commission or donate the whole amount it sold for to a selection of charities- with the donated sales they do not take a commission.
Re-organised one section so now it works better for me. And a bag of rubbish out! Ive still got lots more to do but Im starting to see progress.

Reactions: Minta

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I sorted out all the baby clothes and items today. I'd accumulated a lot of boy items over the years, and since it is clear now we aren't going to ever have a boy, I posted it all up on our local buy and sell. Whatever I don't sell by the weekend I'll donate on Monday.

Also clearing out all the DVDs and things we've accumulate over the years. I find with Netflix and such available now, I never put in my DVDs

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Hi guys -- I'm back on the forums for the season on the HHP threads and I'll be jumping back on this one too! Super motivated!! You guys are doing great and I keep finding myself saying: Yeah, I gotta do that too!

I got a LOT out of the house last year but I'm excited because this season I'm going to Marie Kondo each section of the plan. Last year when the season hit I was just starting the Marie Kondo method and I did clothes, books and then the Paper category took forever! Lordy! And then I was off of it for Spring and Summer because just had no time. Now I'm ready to ramp up again in the Miscellaneous section -- which is: everything else. (I think you were all familiar with Marie Kondo's The Magical Art of Tidy -- the one from Japan? We talked about it last year. Great book.)
She has 5 categories to be done in order:
1. Clothes
2. Books
3. Paper
4. Miscellaneous -- that is everything else broken into subcategories. - *Insert that scary music again here.*
5. Sentimental/Photos.
(Or maybe it was 6 categories and Photos was #5). Anyhow -- I'm entering #4. Just in time for HHP! And I've only just this week realized how perfect that will be. I can do them both at once! Excellent!

Yesterday was crafting supplies. Still working on it but almost done! Hard to get rid of crafting supplies when you have kids.

Skippy -- Interested in the organization that gives to people who have lost their homes to fire and such. Is it national? I give to a womens shelter but right now they are overstocked and in pretty good shape so looking for another cause.

SweetPumpkinPie & FrostyShimmer -- What did you do with your DVDs and CDs? I have stacks of those but not sure what to do with them. My computers no longer have disk drives to burn them. Those are painful to part with though I never use them and I've been putting those off. Have all DS's old Wii games too -- for those I'm waiting on a 2-for-1 trade in at GameStop.

Wow -- I"m sure being chatty! ;)

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
I just decluttered my fridge door! Got rid of about 10 bottles/jars! Need to tackle the inside of the fridge but need to eat the leftovers first this week! Once they're gone I can clean and toss before putting more in :cool:

Skippy1707

Retire Member
Sep 5, 2016
Wales
Cindylou - sorry I completely forgot to answer.....I am in the UK so I dont know where you are based?

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Filled 2 bags of shredded papers. Got another pair of shoes to give to dniece also.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
K and I have got the declutter bug and we have been busy. She is finally going to have a room soon, so K wanted to go through all the boxes of her stuff - she has a lot!

The trunk of J's car is full and he will drop everything off at the thrift store this week.

I am wanting to go through my Christmas totes - maybe this weekend.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Skippy - I'm in the US, Pacific Northwest. I like that idea though and will look for a similar charity. Right now my default is Salvation Army which is also very good organization.

Today I'm going through camping gear and decor -- both currently in piles in my closet. Wish me luck!

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
Emptying out and re-organizing a closet today....hope to unload lots of stuff...will update later.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
threw out a votive candle holder, and put in the donation bag a shirt

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Was able to sell a lot of the kids toys that they have outgrown and have 2 trash bags full of clothes for donations.

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
Since I got new cabinets in my kitchen, I have pulled out a lot of crap! I have a ton of stuff to give to DS2 and MJ. I don't know how all this stuff fit in my old cabinets and not my new ones. I even have a little more cabinet space. I did lose some drawer space, but I love these new cabinets! I just wish my sink pipes would get fixed!!! My bedroom will be next. Here we go!