Shipping presents...

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Wondered if anyone wants to share tips and tricks for the process of shipping presents?

Do you use one carrier/method vs. another for a particular reason?

Tips on ways to securely package/wrap different types of things so they arrive intact?

Fun things you do to make the packages festive?

Please share!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I try to save sturdy boxes that are larger in size for sending packages each year. I also save "filler" type material from each time I receive something I've ordered - peanuts, brown paper, the air bag filled kind, etc. and keep it all in up to two large black trash bags upstairs in a storage area.

I always reinforce the bottoms and sides of boxes I use with extra packing tape!!!

To make the boxes prettier I cut pieces of Christmas themed stationary to size and write return address and address of recipient on that before applying to box so that each label is completely covered with packing tape.

I've always wanted to "line" the inside of the boxes with pretty wrapping paper but haven't taken the time as of yet.

Instead of trying to send gift baskets I am going to try doing gift boxes instead. I've seen really cute flat style boxes - with lids - that you can line with pretty paper and then fill with themed items. So this year I am shipping a couple movie night boxes and a couple of baking boxes - I'll fiddle with the contents so they all lie flat and fit snug into the boxes - maybe using colored tissue to fill in gaps.

I also can share a couple of thoughts on shipping cookies - I've found that wrapping 2-3 cookies in bundles - tightly wrapped in plastic wrap works well. The layers of plastic wrap - I do two - help to cushion the cookies and keep them fresher. I just write the type of cookie on peel and stick Christmas gift tags and put one on each bundle. Then I fill the tin or box with bundles adding extra tissue to fill in any gaps so all is very snug. I also put a flour tortilla shell in the bottom of each tin to help keep cookies soft.

Then when I package the cookie container in a larger box of presents to be shipped I try to make sure it is completely surrounded with packing material - not right up against the side of the box or against other things.

Lastly, we invested in a folding cart that collapses - you press and lever and swing up one piece that you can push a little flat bed with - this is a real life saver when taking several large packages into the post office from my car!

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I haven't had to send packages since friends and family live near us. I will keep your tips in mind if I ever have to send a package. Your gift recipients must look forward to getting a package from you! :)

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I don't decorate my shipping boxes per say. I do tend to wrap my gifts in paper or at least tissue if it's not a fancy Christmas type box. I send a lot of care packages to my daughter and they are usually themed. I seem to be getting more and more packages myself with the air bag filled things and I keep them to use for my own packages. Those things come in so handy since you can pop what you don't need and some are filled less than other so I can always adjust as needed. I like your idea about using stationary for the address. I belong to some swap groups now and since I was purging my crafting/paper area I found some old decorative stationary. That will be a good thing to use it on...It's not like I print many letters these days.

I like the collapsible cart idea as well. Off topic, but I'm using mine tomorrow to haul stuff out of my brothers hospital room and into the car. Kills my shoulder to walk that far from the car with all this stuff. I've been known to use my IKEA bag to carry packages out to the car and into the post office before.

I've also noticed in the past year that Wal-mart ships a box within a box now for breakable items. I think that can be pretty full proof with the air pockets layered between the boxes. Problem is the USPS charges by size as well now, so using big boxes just to use them isn't a good idea. I liked it when weight was the deciding factor, now it's so expensive to ship anything.

My niece is getting ready to leave on a mission in a couple months so I'll be back in the care package business again. I look forward to sending out fun things. Maybe I'll include some cookies in her packages as well. It's been years since I've shipped cookies to anyone.

Reactions: AuntJamelle

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I ship quite a bit each Christmas - unfortunately! Lots of presents go to a friend and her girls in CO - we've been dear friends for 20+ years and they are not in the best position financially so I try to spoil them every year!

Then I send to a friend in Nashville, family in Chattanooga, family in CA and more family in Indianapolis. Lots of boxes!!!

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I ship quite a bit each Christmas - unfortunately! Lots of presents go to a friend and her girls in CO - we've been dear friends for 20+ years and they are not in the best position financially so I try to spoil them every year!

Then I send to a friend in Nashville, family in Chattanooga, family in CA and more family in Indianapolis. Lots of boxes!!!
Wow---that is alot!!! What state is Nashville in? Tenn.? I work at Nashville IL and went to high school there.