Sigh! I want Christmas!

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

charliebrownxmas

Retire Member
Jan 6, 2008
It happens to me every year: During the onset of spring, I go absolutely nuts wanting Christmas. I don't enjoy the whole spring into summer thing, with the allergies and the heat and the possibility of hurricanes. So I spend my time pining away for Christmas, poring over Christmas magazines and websites. I just spent an hour at the Country Living website, looking at their Christmas photos and hints.

Anyone else out there going through this? And what do you do to gratify your needs?

C

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I'm not a big summer person. I don't do well in heat, and my skin burns after about 20 minutes even with SPF 30, so I too long for Christmas during those hot and humid months. Consider them an opportunity to get a jump on things. I do a lot of crafting over the summer and planning in anticipation. Then, there's more time to enjoy the crisp cool weather when it arrives.

Dreamer

Retire Member
Oct 29, 2007
Lawton, Oklahoma
I go through it in summer as well, I hate the summer heat and it snd the sun hate me. Usually I craft more, start going through my christmas books and planning away. In July I set up a little 2 foot Christmas Tree and celebrate "Christmas in July" with small presents for DH, DS and I under it.

chilli

Premiere Member
Dec 27, 2007
Austria - Europe
My first fall/winter/christmas feelings always come up during summer (mostly in August)...
At the moment I want to have spring and nice/warm weather. But with the first heatwave I wish for winter

Chilli
(who bought some christmas fabrics today...)

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I think about Christmas all year long but usually when summer hits I start pinning for the fall and for Christmas. Oct - Jan are my favorite time of the year.
For the most part I enjoy spring and summer but heat and humidity hit then forget it. I start counting down the days until fall and all the fun fall acitivies.

jackfrosty

Santa's Elves
You would love it here then! We just got a whole bunch of snow! I've been putting myself into an early December mindframe to avoid disappointment over the spring setback! It's been kind of fun-but I don't dare tell anyone around here I've been enjoying the winter-everyone is so sick of it!HeeHee! :bigsnow:

santashelper

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
NS,CAN.
The only thing I like about winter is Christmas! So since it is still very much winter here, with no real end in sight. All I can think of is Christmas!

It is too long to decorate for fall or start making treat bags for Halloween. We don't really do anything for Spring or Summer that needs planning. At least I can plan and work on things for Christmas.

I just spent most of my morning going over Two Peas and looking for ideas for Christmas gift tags.

I so want summer to hurry and come so I can have some warmth and know that fall and Christmas are getting closer!!

Darcy

Retire Member
Jan 1, 2008
I read Christmas books and listen to Christmas music to help me with my longings. I especially like to read a Christmas book before I go to bed. ::eek:rnament:

This year we are selling our home and moving to a new one. I can't WAIT to look at prospective homes with the questions:

Where will I put the Christmas trees
How can I decorate the front door and entryway?
Where can I store all my Christmas stuff.

My realtor hasn't seen my Christmas tree tattoo yet, but I figure it's only a matter of time....

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Well I want summer but since it doesn't seem to be anywhere near.... I'll take Christmas!...

snowqueen

Premiere Member
Nov 1, 2007
Vermont
I hate mud season!!! It is coming on us soon. It is the only time I wish for warmer weather and greener days, otherwise I think of Christmas all the time. I love it and plan for it all year. I've been looking for some new sites to get ideas for gifts and stuff and I'll probably be doing that from now until fall.

chilli

Premiere Member
Dec 27, 2007
Austria - Europe
Yesterday I saw an "older" christmas episode of "Home Improvement" with Tim Allen in TV. It is always sooo funny!!!
Unfortunately I noticed it too late so I could not record it.

Chilli

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
One of my favorite things in the world to do is sit on my back porch, watching the kids in the pool, with my laptop and my Gooseberry Patch books, dreaming and schemeing my Christmas plans! This year, it's hitting a little earlier than usual, I think because our spring has been so cold, wet and STORMY!! I am without a vehicle today (my brakes went out yesterday-yikes!) so today I've decided to work on Christmas! Whoo hoo! I may actually squeeze in two Rudy Days this month!

MamaCat

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Texas
I am so glad to hear I'm not the only one who "pines" for Christmas when it's so hot outside! LOL! This past weekend I was out on our patio working on a little painting project, sweating like a hog, & all the sudden Christmas stuff kept swirling around in my head! I thought, "why is it everytime I get out here in the heat, or even when I'm in the pool, I start thinking of Christmas?

I absolutely long for Christmas just about every day. I live in FL for almost 2 years now so the longing for cooler weather is longer than most of you. Sometimes it is sooo HOT here that I have to take a colder than normal shower (I love really HOT showers) just to cool off.

Last night at my son's baseball practice I was sweating when I was just sitting in my chair. I came home and immediately took a cold shower. Otherwise I get such a gross feeling that makes me cringe right now just thinking about it...ugghh.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
I love this group! Can you imagine the kind of looks we would get if we started talking like this around "normal" people? It is definitely their loss!

Lately, I have been thinking about past Christmases. I have been trying to figure out how things work (or don't work for me). In the past, I have often tried to change the nature of "time" in December, by trying to squeeze 18-hours a day of "Christmas stuff" into a normal 24-hour day. I have done this by trying to squeeze all the required things for a "normal" day into 20 or 30 minutes of frantic "catch-up action." Of course, "sleep" was squeezed down to 2 or 3 hours a night, or whatever time was "left over" each day.

The results were -- (1) the house fell apart and became messy and horrible to be in. (2) I got really tired and cranky and (3) lots of important things got missed because there "just wasn't time" to do them.

Since I don't like summer, I can concentrate on #1 during summer. It really bothers me and everyone else when the house falls apart. "Clutter" is just waiting to burst out and explode all over everything during times of stress. Getting rid of big trash bags full of clutter is a summer treat for me. I turn my prissy "I don't like" attitude on my clutter, smack it silly, and throw it into the big black trash bag. Then i take it outside, hurl its ugly self into a big trash can, run inside, jump into the shower, and grab the remote control. (After I get out of the shower.) (We got multiple TV remotes, so my husband can have one at all times, and so can I. Our own TVs though. My personal secret for decades-long happy marriage! One TV per spouse.)

ANYTHING I can do during the summer helps me to "not spoil" Christmas. Cleaning out the guest room/office (my lifetime job). Going through dishes and serving pieces. Straightening out paperwork. Etc. etc. etc. It's probably nutty, but it works for me. Whenever I am able to think about what I DO love (the time from Halloween through New Years) -- instead of what I DO NOT love (horrible heat, humidity, grey polluted skies and mosquitoes) -- I function much better. I actually hum tuneless, annoying little songs under my breath while I work. Nobody knows whether they are Christmas songs, or not.
:bigsnow:

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
:rotflol: way to go sparklenana!!! :applause: I agree... we can at least take care of decluttering ahead of time!