Six Book Reading Challenge

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

CanadianJingles

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
**ETA: The 2010 Six Book Challenge List is below in Post #7. New Year. New List***

This 2009 book challenge was posted early in the year, but I can't find the old thread. Maybe it was lost when the board had issues. I haven't finished it yet, but I'll post how I'm doing in case anyone else is still doing this or is interested in trying this. The idea is to read books that fit with six categories.

Here's mine....

1. A book with a "fictional character" in its title:
DONE! I read Misery (Stephen King). It really is a play on words, both in a state of being unhappy and the main character, Paul Sheldon's fictional character in his bestselling books. Also read Hannibal (Thomas Harris), which is about Hannibal Lecter.

2. A book with a "time of day" in its title. Example might include: Twilight

3. A book with a "relative" in its title:
DONE! I read My Sister's Keeper (Jodi Picoult) -- an interesting and emotionally challenging novel about genetic planning and repeated use of a child as spare parts for an older sick sibling.

4. A book with a "a holiday" in its title. Example might include: The Christmas Clock
IN PROGRESS! Right now, I'm rereading The Christmas Train (David Baldacci). It's about a man travelling across the US by train at Christmas to find himself.

5. A book with a "building" in its title. Example might include: Little House on the Prairie

6. A book with a "movie based on it" in its title. Example might include: A Christmas Carol
DONE! I read Stardust (Neil Gaiman) which was later made into a movie. It's a fun and easy read.

:)

Last edited:

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
I believe I posted it but with everything that's went on in this year I haven't got it done.

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
I have read quite a few books this year. I will have to look some of the titles up but thought I'd post the list of the one's I can remember.

1. A book with a "fictional character" in its title:

2. A book with a "time of day" in its title. Done: Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris

3. A book with a "relative" in its title:

4. A book with a "a holiday" in its title.

5. A book with a "building" in its title. Done: Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder

6. A book with a "movie based on it" in its title. Done: Mrs. Miracle by Debbie Macomber

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Six books that fit the criteria....seems really doable...Is it always the same six criteria...or will it be something NEW for 2010????....I think this would be a great thread to carry on through 2010....anyone have any ideas for starting it for 2010....January is just around the corner...I LOVE FRESH STARTS...lol

CanadianJingles

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
I don't mind coming up with a new six for a 2010 book challenge. I'll work on it tonight if people want a new six. I haven't been able to finish that six. A new six would be good.

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Great...I look forward to seeing what you come up with for 2010!!!!

CanadianJingles

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
2010 Six Book Challenge

Okay, I had time and I was curious how I could change it up.

Books can be fiction or non-fiction. I don't think it matters. (The examples I have given aren't all books I've read so don't take them as recommendations to read. The writer in me won't let me give examples without listing author's surnames with them.)

1. A book with a first name in the title. Example: Anne of Green Gables (Montgomery)

2. A book with a day of the week in its title. Example: Tuesdays with Morrie (Albom).

3. A book with a number in its title: Example: Three Cups of Tea (Mortenson)

4. A book with a a holiday in its title. Example: Hating Valentines Day (Rushby)<-- (this is one I do want to track down. Supposed to be similar to A Christmas Carol, but with a Vday spin.)

5. A book with a room in its title. Example: The Summer Kitchen (Weinreb)

6. A book with a colour in its title: Example: True Blue (Baldacci)

Last edited:

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Oh Boy.....my mind is already in motion....thinking about the possiblities....I'm going to copy and stick your list for 2010....so it doesn't get lost.

scn

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Northeast PA
. A book with a "fictional character" in its title: Ghost: Danielle Steele

2. A book with a "time of day" in its title: Silent Nite : Mary Higgins Clark

3. A book with a "relative" in its title: Homecoming: Belva Plain
didn't have one with it in the title but thebook is about family getting together

4. A book with a "a holiday" in its title. Deck the Halls: Mary Higgins Clark & Carol Higgins Clark

5. A book with a "building" in its title. The House: Danielle Steele

6. A book with a "movie based on it" in its title. *****: Jackie Collins

Like the new challenge Hope with the new job I can get them in I did buy a xmas one but didn'tget to it so I'll use it for the holiday one Dashing Through the Snow by Mary Higgins Clark & Carol Higgins Clark

CanadianJingles

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Nicely done, scn.

I only hit 4 for 6. I'm not sure what I'll read on the new challenge. Hopefully I have better success. :)

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
My updated list:

1. A book with a "fictional character" in its title: Gabriel's Angel by Nora Roberts

2. A book with a "time of day" in its title. Done: Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris

3. A book with a "relative" in its title: Life Lesson's for Women by Stephanie Marston, Jack Canfield, Mark Victor Hanson...we're all sisters

4. A book with a "a holiday" in its title. All I want for Christmas by Nora Roberts

5. A book with a "building" in its title. Done: Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder

6. A book with a "movie based on it" in its title. Done: Mrs. Miracle by Debbie Macomber

appleton

MHH Member
Nov 7, 2007
Let's see if I've read any books that met the 2009 challenge...
1. A book with a "fictional character" in its title: Drowning Ruth by Christina Schwarz
2. A book with a "time of day" in its title: On A Snowy Night by Debbie Macomber
3. A book with a "relative" in its title: Soleman Sisters Wise Up by Melissa Senate
4. A book with a "a holiday" in its title: Christmas Letters by Debbie Macomber
5. A book with a "building" in its title: Dokota Home by Debbie Macomber
6. A book with a "movie based on it" in its title: Skipping Christmas by John Grisham

Its funny how many are Christmas books, but at least ya'll won't think it strange since we all love CHRISTMAS! I'll check my stack of books & see which ones fit the 2010 challenge... sounds like a lot of fun!