Sneak Peek - Christmas in July

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Did you know in less than one month we will be celebrating Christmas in July together? I can promise you that Ginger has a lot up her sleeve! You will want to stick around for the month long celebration she has planned for us all.

Right now I need your help for some special Christmas in July posts. Do you have a single go to tip that you use EVERY single year? Is it a unique hostess gift? A wrapping short cut? A decorating tip that makes your life easier? I'm looking for those special holiday tips that others might be able to learn from and use year to year!

You have one? Great! Send me a PM and tell me what it is. There just might be a little prize for one of you who takes the time to share your tip (or tips!) with me.

Can't wait to hear the tips from your fellow MHHer's? Well, you'll have to wait just a little while but I assure you, it will be worth it! I'll be posting your helpful hints during our Christmas in July celebration. Here's your chance to be a key part of Christmas in July!

Don't forget to send it in a PM! Thanks!

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
I can't wait....we are going to have some fun....and hopefully get some prep work done for Christmas too!!!

:merrychristmas:

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I will have to think on this one, honestly I don't think I have a "go to" that I always rely on. I will be interested to see what others have.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
Kim - I sent you a PM. Let me know if you don't receive it. I can't wait for CiJ!!!

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Colleen - I got it!!! Thanks so much.

We need more tips! Don't be shy - share with us!

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
I still need hints, tips, tradtions - whatever you'd like to share! I'll be sprinkling them throughout our Christmas in July celebration! And, every PM I receive will be entered into a random drawing for a fun gift that will be sent to you. Submit as many as you'd like - the more the merrier!

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
This is a great idea.....I'm wondering if some "category" suggestions might help people think of tips to send you......like:

A money saving tip

A tip for handling holiday parties in a smaller setting

A tip for dealing with Christmas breakfast

A tip for magic elf fun (maybe planning or setting it up?)

A tip about wrapping gifts or storing them

Perhaps thinking about them in this manner will spark some thought....also....don't fall into the trap of thinking your tip is not "worthy" or that its too simple etc.....you would be amazed at very simple things that others have not thought of.....so please feel free to contribute!!!

:merrychristmas:

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Giving this a bump.....I hope we get lots of tips....I can use all the help I can get...LOL

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Something I am trying this year for the first time is to have two totes for people. When I buy items I seperate them into either the gift tote or the stocking tote. I can then easily see what I have for each person, and if I need to concentrate on fillers etc. I will then take the stocking filler tote down when I have a few minutes and wrap the items and put them back in the tote. On Christmas Eve I can then just tip the wrapped/unwrapped fillers into the stockings. So far it is working a treat and it is actually neater in my closet then having plastic bags full of stuff that was unorganized.

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Got them, Cathymac! Thanks so much! Keep them coming, everyone! I can't wait to start posting them in July!

ChristmasRose

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Almost at the end of my rope
As a church musician, Christmas is my busiest time of year. After a bowl of chili, we open our gifts at around 5:30 on Christmas Eve. Then I usually chant the Psalm and play my harp (not at the same time!) at the late service on Christmas Eve. I'm wound up when I get home around 12:30 AM, so I usually make a strata of some sort before I go to bed. We have a noon-ish Christmas Brunch. Then we usually just hang around the house, working on jig-saw puzzles or playing Scrabble. This year, I'm going to suggest that we (5 adults) go to a movie in the afternoon. We've never done that before, but I see a tradition-in-the-making.

ChristmasRose

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Almost at the end of my rope
I forgot to mention that we draw names for stockings after dinner on Thanksgiving. My son is a mentally handicapped adult, and it's his job to print the names on slips of paper, and put them in a bowl to draw from. He takes this job very seriously, and it takes him a long time to print the 5 names, but he looks forward to it, and never forgets.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
ChristmasRose...what a great job your son must do. I love to hear of all the different traditions that others have to celebrate the season. The movies are a great idea but everything is closed here on Christmas Day. We do a movie night on Christmas Eve and then on New Years Eve we get Chinese takeaway and watch a movie then. It is something we all look forward to.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
on New Years Eve we get Chinese takeaway and watch a movie then. It is something we all look forward to.

Katrina - DH and I usually watch a movie on New Year's eve as well... but we celebrate with the boys at NOON...with a countdown and everything. I usually make a round cake decorated like a clock with the hands showing a few minutes to 12:00. The neighbors probably think we're crazy using noise makers and cheering during the day, but the little ones can't make it until midnight.

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Colleen - I LOVE your idea of celebrating at noon with your little ones. What a neat thing to do. The clock cake sounds perfect for this type of celebration!

Just a reminder to PM me your Christmas tips so they can be posted throughout the month of July! We are getting some really good tips but there is still time to add yours!!!

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Got it, Lucie. Thanks so much!!!

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
We are less than a week away from the official start of CIJ but there has already been a lot of prep work - we are sharing recipes, talking about decorating and journaling and gearing up for a fabulous and exciting month!

I just wanted to remind everyone that I am still collecting tips for the month. Share 1 or 100. For each tip you share, via PM, I will put your name into a random drawing for some great Christmas books!

Join in the fun!!!

Last edited:

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
We are really looking forward to CIJ. I have a whole list of things that I want to achieve through the month. It is really the kick I need to move things up a notch. I figure the more organizing/cleaning/preparation I do now the easier it will be come December. I am going to sit down with the kids and ask them to give me a start list of things they may want for Christmas and I might try and do a little more shopping on line this year.
I am also going to start filling the freezer with meals so that over the Christmas/summer period I have pre-cooked meals to make life easier.

We will be having a family meal on July 25th which we are all looking forward to. I just have to finalise a menu for that day and then we are right.

:tree: