Soup/Casserole of the Week Club- Week of January 18th

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
This recipe sounds perferct for a stick to your ribs dish. A perfect side dish for a cold winter night or for a family breakfast. It is Southern Grits Casserole courtesy of Ahorsesoul.

Southern Grits Casserole

1 cup quick grits
4 cups water
1 teaspoon salt

Cook together until the grits are done. (I always use stone ground yellow grits from the Old Mill of Guilford in NC. I don’t like the quick grits or even the white grits.)

½ cup butter
1 cup Cheddar Cheese, shredded

Add these to the grits and stir until blended. Cool slightly and add 2 beaten eggs. Pour this into a 2 quart casserole. Cover with 1 ¼ cups crumbled fried bacon.

Beat 4 eggs with ½ cup cream and 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce and a dash of hot sauce. Pour over the top of the bacon and grits.

Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes.

I’ve used sausage instead of bacon. Added onions and green peppers and/or green chilies to this recipe.

Enjoy!

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
luludou- grits are a small white substance (I'm not sure if they are considered a grain). They are made from corn or hominy. They are popular in Southern kitchens. They are versatile- can be eaten sweet with milk, and sugar or savory- like in our recipe this week.

Here is a link that explains:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grits

Hope this helps!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Thanks Annie. Maybe they have it in specialty stores because they don't have those at the grocery store.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL