Soup, Stews and the like...Recipes!

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Have taken a look around and it doesn't look like we have had a sticky thread yet for soup type recipes!

Not sure how to make it a sticky or if that is necessary but wanted to get one started!

Bring on the soup love! :)

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Mexican Shrimp Bisque

I'll start things off with one of my favorite - but unique - recipes. I've served this at parties for groups of my girlfriends with great success. The recipe makes enough for two but it can easily be doubled, tripled, etc. as desired. If I double I still only use 1 lb of shrimp to keep costs down and it works fine.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/mexican-shrimp-bisque

Mexican Shrimp Bisque

1 Large Onion, Chopped
2 T Olive Oil
4 garlic cloves
2 T all purpose flour
2 cups water + 4 tsp chicken bouillon (or sub chicken stock!)
1 cup heavy cream
2 T chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 lb uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 cup sour cream
Avocado slices for garnish

Directions
1. In a small saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in flour until blended. Stir in the water, cream, bouillon and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
2. Cut shrimp into bite-size pieces if desired; add shrimp to soup. Simmer 5-10 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink. Place sour cream in a small bowl; gradually stir in 1/2 cup hot soup. Return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Heat through (do not boil). Top with cilantro and avocado if desired. Yield: 6 servings.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
We're nearly to the end of soup season 2023 in the Pacific Northwest, yet I just tried a new soup recipe. Many here probably already make it, but it's new to me so I thought I'd share. Like many recipes, it gets even better leftover!

I made Pasta e Fagioli from this recipe: Olive Garden Pasta E Fagioli Recipe - Food.com
It's a copycat recipe and very, very good! At the suggestion of a friend, I only made 1/2 the recipe (there's only two of us).

I did cook the pasta separately and added it at serving time.

I do also make a couple of cold soups that are great in the summertime!

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
We're nearly to the end of soup season 2023 in the Pacific Northwest, yet I just tried a new soup recipe. Many here probably already make it, but it's new to me so I thought I'd share. Like many recipes, it gets even better leftover!

I made Pasta e Fagioli from this recipe: Olive Garden Pasta E Fagioli Recipe - Food.com
It's a copycat recipe and very, very good! At the suggestion of a friend, I only made 1/2 the recipe (there's only two of us).

I did cook the pasta separately and added it at serving time.

I do also make a couple of cold soups that are great in the summertime!
I have made this using that recipe too. Love it and it does freeze well (without the noodles)

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
we are just heading into soup season so will be interested in following along.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
One of my favorites is actually a recipe from when my DMom was in school. It was adapted from her Home Ec class, a recipe for tomato celery soup. I"m sure that back in the day they made their own from scratch, but this is a shortcut recipe, dressing up a commercially canned soup.

In a sauce pan, melt 1 tbsp of butter and sautee 1/4 to 1/2 cup of chopped onion until translucent but not brown. Add 1 can of condensed tomato soup, 1 can of water, 1/4 to 1/2 cup chopped celery, 1 tbsp lemon juice, 1 tsp sugar, 1 tsp dried parsley, and pepper to taste. Bring it to a boil, stirring often. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
2 of our favorites that freeze well.

I do all the prep work the day before on this one to keep my back happy. I don’t add the pesto- not my husbands favorite thing. I also sauté all my veggies first.

I do all chicken stock on this one instead of adding water. We actually like this better than olive gardens.