Spring cleaning and decorating

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

santashelper

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
NS,CAN.
Well, Easter is all but over.

It still feels like winter here, but I am starting to get the itch to do some cleaning, organizing and redecorating.

My dilemma is I don't know how to decorate for Spring and summer!

I LOVE my fall decor. And my Christmas decor is definitely a second, but I don't just want to decorate for the holidays, but also for the seasons.

How do you decorate for Spring and Summer?

wadeallie

Premiere Member
Nov 26, 2007
Central Vermont
bun2 I have a large computer desk with a top that's approx. 4 ft long. That is my major decorating spot. For spring and summer, I put down a floral print fabric and my Santas, angels, and my Jim Shore nativity sit up there. In prior years I have used silk ivy to weave in and out and I tuck in silk flowers. I also have a valance over my blinds in the livingroom and I place the silk ivy there also.
Plus, my kitchen curtains have wide ribbon for the ties and for spring the ribbon is pastel flowers on a light green background and for summer, the ribbon is a nautical print.
I hope this helps...

I am going to put a spring looking wreath on my front door, change the dining room table to look more spring by using a mint green colored runner. I use candles that match and that is pretty much all I do because I love the way my home looks now. If and when summmer ever gets here I am going to do the back porch in a nautical theme since we live by a small lake. No help here santashelper but maybe someone else will have some ideas.

coffeenut

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 10, 2007
Spartan Country-mi
For Spring I put out my cream colored milk pitcher with artificial white and yellow flowers. No tablecloth. Next to my entertainment center I have lavendar, yellow, and white artificial flowers in a vase. On a corner shelf in a small tealight holder I have some small lavender silk flowers. On my coffee table I have some yellow tealights with a lavendar 3 wick candle and lavender beads intertwined among the candle and tea lights. On my entertainment center I have all of my white figurines. On top of my micorwave I have a white candle garden with assorted stones around it. On my round decorator table I have a pale yellow tablecloth with a vase of flowers, my bunnies and a small stuffed chicken.
In my Kitchen I have light green candle holders. I love to use the lavendar and pale yellow for Spring I will keep it up until May. Right now I also have some of my bunny water globes. :flower:
For summer I go nautical, with seashells and sea shells in the living and dining rooms. In my bedroom I have a white and blue theme. I have fun in the kitchen and use a tropical theme. I add Patriotic accents for the month of July.
:flower:

chilli

Premiere Member
Dec 27, 2007
Austria - Europe
Belong to my information, easter season lasts until whitsunday, so you still have plenty of time...

For spring, I think you can modify your easter decoration and add some flower-themes. Furthermore you can use pillowslips and tableclothes in pastel colours. I will modify my easter-tree, and replace eggs with some "more springlike" themes.

In summer I would use strong colours, shells and other maritime decor. I, for example, will create a bowl with sand, shells and so on from our last holidays.
In general I don't decorate so much in summer, as we are busy with outside activities most of our spare time then.

Hope I could help you!

chilli

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
For Spring, I have spring florals on the doors. I start to use spring scented candles in the house. I also change my greenery to lighter colors in my arrangements.

For Summer, I use Americana items. I change the pillows and throws to my americana theme ones, the centerpiece on the coffee table has a red/white/blue candle and red/white/blue berry wreath around it. I use summer scents in candles. I also lighten up the table with lighter weight placemats. I also hang Americana wreathes and stars on the doors.

That's about it.

Lisa

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
This is such a good topic, SantasHelper!!!!!

Lovely people, from all over the world, sharing how they decorate for spring and summer!! I love it!

I'll do summer first. It is really hot, and really humid here in the summer. Although we have central air conditioning, we try to do all the old fashioned ways of dealing with summer heat. We keep the curtains closed during the day. We have also let lots of trees grow up -- on our property, and nearby. So there is a fair amount of shade. So it is rather dim inside during the day. This is a relief -- because it is SO HOT and BRIGHT outside. Our cable channel has dozens of all music stations, and we keep soothing instrumental music playing. Maybe light classical. We try to keep things really uncluttered inside -- especially during the summer. I try to cook only in the early morning, before 7:00 am.

Outside - is as much color as I can manage. We have lived in this house for a long, long time. I have crammed as many perennial plants in as I can, over the years. I supplement with many, many flats of impatients. (I try to buy them for $10 a flat at the supermarket or big box stores. I support the independent nurseries by buying perennials not carried by the cheaper places.) Of course, impatients are great for shade. They come in lots of colors now. I use almost all the colors. And I DO fertilize them so they grow really big by fall. I don't plant anything after June 1st -- it is just too hot!!

We entertain outside during the summer -- just as informally as possible. Sitting on the furniture that is out there all year and just having drinks and sandwiches or pizza.

Spring decorating is very simple. There is a spring wreath on the door -- purchased at the 90% off sale at Pier One. And a vase of fresh flowers on the dining room table. Right now, it is daffadils in various colors. That is all. And my spring decorating efforts involve trying to declutter and clear things out, and clean. So that summer is more tolerable.

crazymo

Retire Member
Nov 6, 2007
Little Falls, Mn
I don't do to much in the spring and summer months in the house. I concentrate on being outdoors then, so I do more decorating on the porch. Hanging flowers and bird feeders and working on my flower beds. Stuff like that.

momof4

MHH Member
Nov 3, 2007
Southwest Ohio
Gosh, I really don't do much for spring and summer - I'm going to have to change that!

For spring, I have some nice silk flowers-daffodils, pansies, tulips-that I set around the house in vases. I also have a pretty flowery wreath on the front door. For summer, what little I have is Americana stuff. I have a rustic wooden American flag I hang on the front door. I use vine garlands with red, white & blue "berries" that I use wrapped around my chandelier and some candlesticks on my table in the dining room. I also use a red, white & blue table runner in the kitchen.

GeeWibble

Premiere Member
Mar 29, 2008
NY
Spring cleaning, my list is getting longer and I hope to get to it before spring is over. I love having longer days and the sun shinning brighter but it sure shows all the winter dust. I usually take down my heavy curtains in the dinning room and put up sheer light green ones. I have a couple of spring wreaths and flowers I put out but thats about it for inside. Like others, I try to work out on decorating the porch and garden when it's warmer.

chilli

Premiere Member
Dec 27, 2007
Austria - Europe
I'm still busy with my spring decoration...

So I added two teacandles in flower-style to my "spring collection"
They look so nice, I will also use them for cozy summer evenings outside ;-)

Chilli

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
love the idea of changing the curtains to fit the occasion.... easy and quick change of decor. I'm gonna have to work on that!