St Nicks Day

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
December 6th

As I posted somewhere else I am doing away with the 24 day gifts this year and doing a St Nicks gift.....I wanted to find red boots or Santa's boots (decor item) but have yet to come across any...but in my searching...I found this...

http://www.stnicksday.com/Traditions.html

Not sure what i think though the ide of hanging them on the doorknob the night of the 5th is sort of fun!

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Ginger - great research! I really appreciate all the links! I like the boot that is painted for under $6. Is 8" big enough for what you want to do with it? Can you explain again what you are going to do?

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
I am going to be giving some treats and gifts for St. Nick's Day.....instead of the 24 days gifts....I'm not sure if the 8 inch is big enough or not...that is the whole thing but some items are quite small but I did have an item or two which would not fit in here...perhaps I could rethink the items...idk

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Okay in my mind I think the bags would work better for larger gifts but I like the idea of the boot because it follows the tradition of setting out shoes....

So I think I am going with the boots...and make sure I have smaller items. I don't want this to become hectic and overwhelming (thats what happened with the 24 days gifts). So actually have the boots will limit me and keep me from getting out of control...lol.

I want to keep it simple. This year I already have one item (Christmas reed diffuser, bought on clearance after Christmas) that will be too big.(its not really a BIG gift,,,just too big for the boot!)..I will just wrap it and sit it by the boot. Then I will get a bit of candy and one smaller item for the boot. Also I simply must have these:

St Nick Bag of Coal (gum)
and
St Nick Bag of Gold (chocolate)

I will have them give me the bags back when they are done and I can reuse them next year!

That is if I can squeeze them into my budget. The one slightly larger gift, one small trinket gift in the boot, candy, and these two items and I will be done!

Scroll down on the page to see them

http://www.stnicksday.com/giftshop.htm

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Well Ginger I think the idea of the boot is adorable. i do not know too much about St Nicks day, but I know that the boots are very cute. I would stick with the boot because it is reuseable and it will limit you to how much you can put in it.

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Did you order the boots, Ginger? I love the idea too. How many do you need to do?

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Check with a local florist shop - they often have a book of containers that they are willing to sell at cost or with a small mark-up. If you have a pottery store they too have a variety of molds that can be personalized and fired as per your instructions.

We do St. Nick gifts, but they are small and I put them in the boys slippers :)

I love the boot idea!

caitsmum

Retire Member
Nov 6, 2008
Bedfordshire England
I've only just found this thread but wondered if what I do would help?

I started celebrating St Nicks day at school (Church of England school.... so it's OK, we "do" religion!) about 10yrs ago after we decided to forgo the usual Christmas concert. Several classes decided not to do anything, but I turned it into a research project for the class (thereby getting in some English, history and geography as well! Lol!)

When a couple of them turned up the story about Dutch children leaving out their shoes for St Nick to leave coins in I created an "art" activity.

Using sugar paper (craft paper? Butchers paper?? Don't know the US version!) I got the children to draw round their shoe so they had the shape of the sole. This was then repeated but only as far as the arch so they got the shape of the toe.
We then stuck the 2 together to make a paper slipper as it were. Decorated and hung on the wall by the heel they created quite an eyecatching display (32 children, lots of different colours and decoration!) and made a small "pocket" into which I put a chocolate coin....... with an extra one going to the child who spotted that they'd been "visited" first! lol!

You could quite easily turn this into a family tradition, making a new one each year (we do, but my toddler uses Daddy's shoe Lol!) - IF I remember and we're not busy doing a million and 1 other things! OR you could make a standard size for all using felt or fabric that could be re-used each year as a stocking might!

AM
(Catching up in England!)

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Caitsmum -How sweet! I love this idea a lot. Thank you for sharing this! Did the kids get to take them home at the end of the season?

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Caitsmum...that is a cute idea. I could imagine doing it in felt.

caitsmum

Retire Member
Nov 6, 2008
Bedfordshire England
Caitsmum -How sweet! I love this idea a lot. Thank you for sharing this! Did the kids get to take them home at the end of the season?

Oh yes! :)

I was always the "meany" of the school - I used to tell the children they wouldn't need to bring in toys and games for the last day of school (as other staff allowed) because we would be working. This was always greeted by groans!

Then on the last morning (we went to church for a short service in the afternoon before leaving a bit early) we would have various activities, one of which would always be to decorate a plain gift bag (I used to buy a packet of "take out" bags from the school supply catologue).
While the children were at lunch my TA and I would take down everything we'd done and put them in the children's bags. Some years there would be a tree decoration, a calender, a photoframe........ it really depended on our "theme" that year (and how many kids I had from the year before!) and ALWAYS a card and gift from me and my TA (nothing huge, just a chocolate Santa or something..... and their shoe!

My class would come in the glumest of all the kids, and go bounding out in the afternoon with a bagful of goodies! Lol!

Sigh.... Happy days! BUT, telling everyone has given me some ideas for my own kids this Christmas (if the -by then - 14yr old will co-operate! Lol!)
AM

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
We have celebrated ever since I can remember. My kids each have their own wooden shoe, that St. Nick fills. These are from when I was little my grandparents had them for all their grandchildren. What goes in them everyyear are a coin dollar, candy, a gift card, a star of somesorts (haven't figured this one out for this year yet) and a letter reminding them what this tradition means to them and their ancestors. It happens to be the same letter that my grandfather wrote to us everyyear.