st. patricks day 2021

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
No, not something that we celebrate here. Our next big holiday is Easter although our city has it's birthday in March.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
We do! I'll wait until March 1st to decorate. I still have the winter and St. Valentine's decorations up.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Doesn't get celebrate here but I like to take out the green when it's so cold outside, makes it festive. So I do decorate anyhow

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
I celebrate almost everything.

I just put a shamrock picture in the bathroom and since it seems I have to go to Michael's tomorrow (ran out of scrapbook tape), I'll stop at $Tree and get some more green stuff.

Not sure when I'll make the corned beef and cabbage. The holiday falls on a Wednesday. I want to include DS and DDIL but I can't invite them over the weekend before because that's when DH and I get our second Covid shot and if I do it the weekend after I'll have to serve it twice - or maybe just go to the deli and get corned beef sandwiches for Wednesday.

Such problems!

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
I'm putting up my décor this weekend - I usually go from Jan 15 to Feb 15 for Valentine's, then Feb 15 to Mar 15 for St. Patrick's Day because they fall in the middle of the month and as soon as Mar 15 is over, Easter goes up. Easter is very early this year so the pastel décor will stay up (minus any rabbits and eggs) until May for a spring-like look. I ordered new felt ball garlands - greens for March and pastels for Easter/spring. I decorate my two-tiered server, change my Nora Fleming mini on napkin holder, add festive napkins, and put up decorative flags on my flag racks. I'd be making something festive for St. Patrick's Day but there's not much point for just me. I may see if one of the local restaurants has a dinner special and have a little treat. I have a recipe for cupcakes that I might try if I can find some individual cupcake containers. We're not supposed to bring food to work unless it is individually wrapped. There must be a catering supply place somewhere around here that has the containers.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
When you're in Chicago, especially on the South Side, St. Patrick's Day is a MAJOR celebration! For many years, my BIL and SIL lived 2 doors off the parade route for the South Side Irish Parade (which became larger than the downtown Chicago parade). After BIL and SIL moved, we assumed host/hostess duties for the day. At that time, we lived 2 blocks off the parade route. It was a day-long celebration with family and friends. Decorations went up March 1st and we'd start playing and singing along to the South Side Irish song.

Parade day was always the Sunday before St. Patrick's Day (the downtown parade was the Saturday before). Morning (with immediate family) began with eggs, corned beef hash, potatoes O'Brien, and rye toast. We'd start the party around 10:30 or 11:00 with warm Irish Soda Bread. I'd also have Irish-flavored coffee, green juice (Hi-C, used to be called Ecto Cooler, not sure what it is now), as well as fixings for those who wanted to start with the "real" Irish coffee. Guests would typically contribute an appetizer for pre-parade festivities. The parade stepped off at noon; we were towards the end of the route, so we'd listen for the first sounds of the bands and/or sirens and then head out to watch.

Post-parade, we'd all come back to the house and have corned beef sandwiches, potato salad, cole slaw, maybe mac salad, relish tray, etc. There would be "green fluff" for dessert, along with shamrock cookies, mint-chip cookies, brownies, and cupcakes. Lots of beer, wine, and other beverages would be flowing, too.

Although I no longer live in Chicago-proper, I moved my St. Patrick's Day celebration with me to the south suburbs, where I would normally still celebrate with friends and relatives. Last year, Illinois went on lock-down the weekend of our "gathering of the clan." Last year, the South Side Irish Parade was quickly cancelled, but I still had a few close friends and family for a get-together with a corned beef brisket in the crock pot.

This year, St. Pat's will be marked with only a few individuals who are closest to me, since my area is still struggling with vaccine distribution and many (myself included) are not yet eligible to vaccinate. Decorations will still go up, though perhaps not as many as in the past, and the menu will be more limited, given the fewer guests. But we'll still get our Irish on!

SSI Parade pictures at https://southsideirishparade.org/ and https://www.gettyimages.com/photos/south-side-irish-parade?phrase=south side irish parade&sort=mostpopular
More about the South Side Irish song: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Side_Irish

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Definitely so! I'm looking forward to it more than I have in a very long time. Since my daughter went off to college and then got married, it's pretty low key. We use to have a big dinner and people over, but it just doesn't happen much any more. Well my daughter is having her baby soon and since I'll be there for St. Patrick's Day I'll be cooking dinner while I'm there. She told me yesterday her husband said..."wow, you are super excited about this dinner with your mom" and she told him "you don't understand, St. Patrick's Day was a big deal in our house and I haven't had a real St. Patrick's Day meal for 7 years". This makes me happy, that she's happy and looking forward to it! Last year I sent her a few extra dollars to make sure she went out and bought the works to cook her first real corned beef and cabbage dinner and her husband ended up in the hospital. Becuase Covid had just hit she wasn't allowed in and sat at home that night eating the food by herself as she worried to death. Hopefully this will help erase that memory. I also have another granddaughter who was born on St. Patrick's Day and that kinda superseded things as well the last 6 years..lol She's moved out of state, so no more birthday celebrations to go to at her house, but I'll make sure they also get some green goodies in the mail.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
I found my recipe for for Guinness (chocolate cake), Jameson (whiskey ganache), and Baileys (buttercream frosting) (doesn't that sound like a lethal concoction?) cupcakes. They used to be called Irish Car Bomb cupcakes which was the most inappropriate name so I'm glad to see someone renamed them even if the new name is a mouthful. I'll have to stop at Total Wine for some mini Jameson and Baileys bottles. I think it only calls for a few tablespoons of each. I found the individual cupcake containers on Amazon - I like the cupcake boxes as opposed to the plastic ones so I think I'll order those.

A little off topic but as I was searching through my boards on Pinterest, I found a lot of broken links. I hate when that happens. You save something because you really want to have it available and then when you go back to it, it's gone. How do you handle that? I could cut and paste the recipes (it's mostly recipes that have broken links) into Word and then save them on my computer or I could print them out but that defeats the whole purpose of having the electronic bulletin board that is Pinterest.

Merry Mary

MHH Member
Nov 5, 2020
Arkansas
When you're in Chicago, especially on the South Side, St. Patrick's Day is a MAJOR celebration! For many years, my BIL and SIL lived 2 doors off the parade route for the South Side Irish Parade (which became larger than the downtown Chicago parade). After BIL and SIL moved, we assumed host/hostess duties for the day. At that time, we lived 2 blocks off the parade route. It was a day-long celebration with family and friends. Decorations went up March 1st and we'd start playing and singing along to the South Side Irish song.

Parade day was always the Sunday before St. Patrick's Day (the downtown parade was the Saturday before). Morning (with immediate family) began with eggs, corned beef hash, potatoes O'Brien, and rye toast. We'd start the party around 10:30 or 11:00 with warm Irish Soda Bread. I'd also have Irish-flavored coffee, green juice (Hi-C, used to be called Ecto Cooler, not sure what it is now), as well as fixings for those who wanted to start with the "real" Irish coffee. Guests would typically contribute an appetizer for pre-parade festivities. The parade stepped off at noon; we were towards the end of the route, so we'd listen for the first sounds of the bands and/or sirens and then head out to watch.

Post-parade, we'd all come back to the house and have corned beef sandwiches, potato salad, cole slaw, maybe mac salad, relish tray, etc. There would be "green fluff" for dessert, along with shamrock cookies, mint-chip cookies, brownies, and cupcakes. Lots of beer, wine, and other beverages would be flowing, too.

Although I no longer live in Chicago-proper, I moved my St. Patrick's Day celebration with me to the south suburbs, where I would normally still celebrate with friends and relatives. Last year, Illinois went on lock-down the weekend of our "gathering of the clan." Last year, the South Side Irish Parade was quickly cancelled, but I still had a few close friends and family for a get-together with a corned beef brisket in the crock pot.

This year, St. Pat's will be marked with only a few individuals who are closest to me, since my area is still struggling with vaccine distribution and many (myself included) are not yet eligible to vaccinate. Decorations will still go up, though perhaps not as many as in the past, and the menu will be more limited, given the fewer guests. But we'll still get our Irish on!

SSI Parade pictures at https://southsideirishparade.org/ and https://www.gettyimages.com/photos/south-side-irish-parade?phrase=south side irish parade&sort=mostpopular
More about the South Side Irish song: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Side_Irish
Once I went to St. Patrick's Catholic Church in Milwaukee for the St. Patrick's service. It was spectacular and a moving spiritual experience that I'll never forget. The service started with authentic bag pipers dressed in beautiful kilts. I wish I could experience that again.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
yes...I love St Patricks Day! Does anyone know a good online flag co. who sells nice St. Patricks garden flags? I'd like to buy one for my flag pole.
I buy all of my flags at www.justforfunflags.com. They have a great selection for holidays and special days.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Once I went to St. Patrick's Catholic Church in Milwaukee for the St. Patrick's service. It was spectacular and a moving spiritual experience that I'll never forget. The service started with authentic bag pipers dressed in beautiful kilts. I wish I could experience that again.
I know Chicago has an amazing celebration but here's a shout-out for Newport, Rhode Island. Their St. Patrick's Day parade was awesome and they have an awesome Irish Festival in the summer. Lots of bagpipes and kilts.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
We do! I'll wait until March 1st to decorate. I still have the winter and St. Valentine's decorations up.
I do the same.

We like to go to a local Irish Pub (probably not this year as we didn't last year due to COVID). We will have corned beef and cabbage and Irish soda bread at home, perhaps with some friends. When we go out to an Irish Pub to celebrate, we will then have our own corned beef dinner at home on a different day.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
I don't really Celebrate but I do like to make New England Boiled Dinner around that time.
Made Irish Soda Bread a couple of years ago. Definitely need to do that again!!

A restaurant/bar I used to go to when I lived in Prescott, Az, called Murphy's (of course) keeps a count down to the days until St. Patrick's Day.
I always thought that was cute.

A local restaurant did a St. Patrick's day special dinner last year where everything had Guinness in it. I will look and see if they are doing something similar this year.

Annie

Last edited:

GeeWibble

Premiere Member
Mar 29, 2008
NY
I do decorate for St. Patrick's Day a little, and we love the corn beef dinner. My grand kids have fun making a trap for the leprechaun who comes the night before and does mischief things around the house. They like to hide gold coins for him and when they come over the next day he always escapes the trap and has a scavenger hunt for them to find his chocolate coins. I usually have some green cut out cookies or treat. I thought about getting a little toy leprechaun to use like the Christmas elf, but it's nice not to do a whole month of planning and keep it simple, just the one night/day activity.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I usually decorate for the holiday....wreath, window shamrocks and flags, but I'm not sure if I'm going to this year. I have my school decor done and will do some crafts with the kiddos, but we don't do much more than have Shamrock shakes here. lol

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I am interested on how you all celebrate. Some wonderful traditions here.