st. patricks day 2021

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Once I went to St. Patrick's Catholic Church in Milwaukee for the St. Patrick's service. It was spectacular and a moving spiritual experience that I'll never forget. The service started with authentic bag pipers dressed in beautiful kilts. I wish I could experience that again.
They would usually do that in two of our local parishes on parade Sunday. Very beautiful and moving service and a great way to start the morning.

Reactions: Merry Mary

Merry Mary

MHH Member
Nov 5, 2020
Arkansas
I am interested on how you all celebrate. Some wonderful traditions here.
I have a LED 5 ft. tree that I add St. Patrick's Day decorations to. I bought necklaces and battery-operated garden fairy lights from Dollar Tree. I removed the plastic pieces off the lights and attached them to my LED tree (purchased from Hobby Lobby). I also adorn the branches with crocheted shamrocks. And of course I love boiled dinner which I already made! Delicious!

Reactions: luludou

Merry Mary

MHH Member
Nov 5, 2020
Arkansas
I found my recipe for for Guinness (chocolate cake), Jameson (whiskey ganache), and Baileys (buttercream frosting) (doesn't that sound like a lethal concoction?) cupcakes. They used to be called Irish Car Bomb cupcakes which was the most inappropriate name so I'm glad to see someone renamed them even if the new name is a mouthful. I'll have to stop at Total Wine for some mini Jameson and Baileys bottles. I think it only calls for a few tablespoons of each. I found the individual cupcake containers on Amazon - I like the cupcake boxes as opposed to the plastic ones so I think I'll order those.

A little off topic but as I was searching through my boards on Pinterest, I found a lot of broken links. I hate when that happens. You save something because you really want to have it available and then when you go back to it, it's gone. How do you handle that? I could cut and paste the recipes (it's mostly recipes that have broken links) into Word and then save them on my computer or I could print them out but that defeats the whole purpose of having the electronic bulletin board that is Pinterest.
I'm not really a drinker but I've been really craving Bailey's lately! Where I live, I have to travel 1 1/2 hr to the nearest liquor store : ( Regarding the Pinterest posts...for the same reasons I always save anything I find interesting onto my computer. I just go to 'file' and hit save.

Reactions: PamelaG

Merry Mary

MHH Member
Nov 5, 2020
Arkansas
Definitely so! I'm looking forward to it more than I have in a very long time. Since my daughter went off to college and then got married, it's pretty low key. We use to have a big dinner and people over, but it just doesn't happen much any more. Well my daughter is having her baby soon and since I'll be there for St. Patrick's Day I'll be cooking dinner while I'm there. She told me yesterday her husband said..."wow, you are super excited about this dinner with your mom" and she told him "you don't understand, St. Patrick's Day was a big deal in our house and I haven't had a real St. Patrick's Day meal for 7 years". This makes me happy, that she's happy and looking forward to it! Last year I sent her a few extra dollars to make sure she went out and bought the works to cook her first real corned beef and cabbage dinner and her husband ended up in the hospital. Becuase Covid had just hit she wasn't allowed in and sat at home that night eating the food by herself as she worried to death. Hopefully this will help erase that memory. I also have another granddaughter who was born on St. Patrick's Day and that kinda superseded things as well the last 6 years..lol She's moved out of state, so no more birthday celebrations to go to at her house, but I'll make sure they also get some green goodies in the mail.
MinnieCo...Even Covid's still around I hope this year's St. Patrick's Day goes easier than last year. I guess we all just have to make the best of what we still have. My only daughter lives in another state so I haven't seen her in person since two Christmases ago. I video chatted for the first time last month via Facebook with my tablet. That worked great.

Merry Mary

MHH Member
Nov 5, 2020
Arkansas
I'm putting up my décor this weekend - I usually go from Jan 15 to Feb 15 for Valentine's, then Feb 15 to Mar 15 for St. Patrick's Day because they fall in the middle of the month and as soon as Mar 15 is over, Easter goes up. Easter is very early this year so the pastel décor will stay up (minus any rabbits and eggs) until May for a spring-like look. I ordered new felt ball garlands - greens for March and pastels for Easter/spring. I decorate my two-tiered server, change my Nora Fleming mini on napkin holder, add festive napkins, and put up decorative flags on my flag racks. I'd be making something festive for St. Patrick's Day but there's not much point for just me. I may see if one of the local restaurants has a dinner special and have a little treat. I have a recipe for cupcakes that I might try if I can find some individual cupcake containers. We're not supposed to bring food to work unless it is individually wrapped. There must be a catering supply place somewhere around here that has the containers.
PamelaG: You can put a single cupcake on the lid of a small jar and screw the jar onto it upside down. I also found that you can make a cupcake holder out of a paper cup. Cut the top rim off the cup, then make small cuts around the top and fold the flaps to the center. Or you can put the cupcake into a small box.Paper Cup Cupcake holder.jpg

Last edited: