st. pattys day march 17th 2022

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
The traditional foods, of course!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I need to get the meat ready to corn if I want corned beef this year. Most store made has papaya and I am allergic.

Reactions: jampss

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
I like to fix the traditional dinner of corned beef and cabbage with Irish soda bread, but also like to have friends over for afternoon dessert. The husband doesn't like corned beef, so we don't invite them for dinner. He's Irish though. If we have them for dessert on St. Patrick's Day, we have our Irish meal on a different day that week.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
St Patrick's is not a huge day here as we don't have a lot of Irish although a lot of Australians originated from England, Scotland and Ireland.. DH family were originally from County Antrim. It would be nice to do some sort of celebration.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Nothing. lol I decorate with some shamrocks and wreathes on the doors, but otherwise it's just another day. We have no ties to the Irish.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
I don't do anything. My dad's side has ancestors from County Cork, Ireland! I have an old photo around here of the great grandparents and their ... NINE DAUGHTERS!! o_O :)

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Traditionally, I decorate, hang our family banners (I have both small and large, photos attached), and host a get together among friends, with corned beef for sandwiches, potato salad, relishes, etc., and everyone usually brings a dish or appetizer to share. This gathering grew from living on Chicago's far south side, where there is an annual parade and celebration -- bigger than the downtown parade. I continued the celebration when I moved to the suburbs, as a tribute to my late husband's heritage. The last big get together was in 2019, and in 2020 I just hosted a corned beef dinner with my DD and SIL and chef-friend and his wife -- COVID was just announced and the shut down started the next day. I was hoping to host a larger get-together this year, but not sure I'll even get the decor out of the garage, with my wrist issue. Don't know that I'll be able to get the soda bread baked, either. My recipe is sticky and takes two hands to get it into the baking pan. DD and I talked about dinner, and I found a corned beef brisket in the freezer yesterday. Will see how things play out in the next week or two.

Attachments

• SSI small banner.jpg
    SSI small banner.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 2
  • SSI Banner.jpg
    SSI Banner.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

GeeWibble

Premiere Member
Mar 29, 2008
NY
I put out a few decorations mostly in the kitchen and bathroom. I use to do the fun leprechaun trap and mischief tricks with my daycare children so thought my grandchildren would also think it was a fun celebration idea. But, no it wasn't when they started to be afraid at night that the leprechaun was coming during the night, haha. So I just bought some fun hats and glasses and make a scavenger hunt for them to find gold chocolate coins in a treasure box. I also do the traditional dinner for us and it's enough for a few meals, love that!

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I always have a family dinner, but since my daughter is grown it's been awhile since we've had a big celebration type dinner. BUT I just asked two of my friends to join us and one was really excited because she's never been to a traditional St. Patrick's Day meal. I am bummed though because she's gluten free and I was excited to have her taste my Irish Soda Bread. I may surprise her and try and make something up for her as well. I sell sweet breads from my home monthly and I decided I'm also going to offer my Irish Soda bread to my customers that week. It will be something different to offer, but who knows, they may love it.

I normally also decorate, but it's been crazy and I'm leaving this weekend for a week, so we'll see how that plays out when I get back. I only have one tote for the holiday, so I could still put it out.

I normally also go to the cemetery to leave flowers on my Grandma and Grandpa Sullivan's gravestone. Since my mother is cremated and had her ashes spread in the mountains, I also celebrate her that day. It's my own private memorial day for my family really.

I also bought a new green blouse. I've never been able to find one in my size really that I liked, so I normally have to wear a t-shirt or something. On an Irish note, my husband got me a really pretty new Celtic Knot necklace and earrings for Valentine's Day. I have plenty of silver knots, but this one is actually two toned, so it has a celtic knot and then a gold heart wound in too. It moved up to my favorite actually. I love it!

Last thing I have planned is sewing a shamrock skirt for my granddaughter. I had to learn to make her one for her 1st birthday that my daughter requested, so I figured while I was at it I'd make her a St. Patrick's Day skirt rather than buying her something to wear.

One of my granddaughters was born on St. Patrick's Day as well. They live out of state now, so we don't go to parties anymore for her, but it was fun celebrating both.

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
Happy St. Patty‘s Day wear green so you don’t get pinched. my seven-year-old grandson asked me is that really true. Enjoy your day

Last edited:

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Here is the corned beef that I started the first part of the month. It turned out very good. Used Lori’s cabbage recipe which is an excellent balance in flavors with the rest of the meal. E921E2AF-8055-4D4C-BC01-76348F00E2CE.jpeg

Reactions: jampss and Lori K

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
I used Lori's recipe too and it was excellent. First time DH finished all his cabbage!

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
No special foods to celebrate the day. I did wear my green today, though.

Reactions: jampss