Starting a Christmas Notebook - A Beginner's Guide

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

zchristy

Santa's Elves
By far the most popular discussion I ever created was on the OC Notebook forum in Mar 2006 about the "how to's" of starting your own Christmas notebook. So I'm posting it for the benefit of the ladies here! ~ Christy

I've seen several people comment here recently that they are just starting out and didn't know where to begin or what kind of notebook they even want. So I've been reflecting on my own recent journey with a notebook in the hopes that it will inspire some of the other beginners who want to organize a holiday notebook.

When I started reading about Christmas Notebooks here in the fall, my own stuff never seemed to fit what other people were using and the idea didn't seem to suit me at all.

Then the board was down, and I decided to counter-act the Christmas discussion detox I was going through. I decided to sit down with all my Christmas stuff and found my stuff was more condusive to a notebook that I first thought, because I gave up the idea that it had to look like someone else's. Now I have a notebook that is very different from many around here, but that I love flipping through and jotting in!

Your holiday notebook is yours. It doesn't have to fit anybody else's mold and it will only be practical or useful to you if it suits your needs and purposes. If it makes sense to you, your notebook is a success!

First: Ask yourself a few questions.

- Do I want to refer to this notebook often (once a week or more), or do I want to refer to it occasionally as an archive or reference? A bit of both?

- Do an inventory. Start just flipping through your current Christmas stuff and on a piece of paper write down the categories these things might fall under. Something in there not fit a category here? Make your own.

Some examples to kickstart your imagination:

Calendar
Rudolph Club
Advent Activites
Thanksgiving
Entertainment
Shopping/ To Buy
Gift Closet Inventory
Schedules and To Do lists
Grocery List
Recipes
Budget
Gift Lists/Ideas
Christmas Countdown
Traditions
Future ideas
Poems and Craft ideas
Website Listings
Magazine inspirations
Evaluation Page
Christmas Cards/ Addresses
Kids activities (crafts, colouring pages etc)

Some of these sections might be best used for you by breaking them down even more...for example...really serious decorators might want to do a decorating section for each room of the house. People with lots of future ideas might want to break them down again (entertaining ideas, decor ideas) etc.

Second:

Ok, so you have your sections. Now go through each section and decide what makes the most sense for you in terms of set up. Things like a schedule section or the Christmas Countdown can be done in a chronological order, but other things like decor can have some reference pages. Do you want to have all reference pages in the back of each section they pertain to, or in a section of their own?

Along with this, brainstorm what would make those sections more efficient or durable.

If you want it to be a working notebook, make sure to add lots of hole-punched paper to make jot notes and additions. If you want it as an archive (or even if it's not!), you might want to check the dollar store and see if you can find some clear plastic paper pockets or liners to preserve your pages in. Other useful items that may suit your notebook: Pencil case, hole punch, post it notes or post it flags. Accessories can be a fun addition to your notebook.

If you have lists in some of your sections, you can make some choices based on how you use them:

- You can write them by hand on paper and update them frequently.
- You can print them up on a printer to make them neat and uniform (but you need to be ok with re-printing them fairly often or adding pages if you jot and update often).

Third: Some sections looking empty? Get to work on those! Get ideas from family members for presents (or check out the gift threads on the forum). Peruse websites for inspiration on decor and cooking ideas. Ask family members or co-workers for their favorite Christmas traditions and it might inspire you even more.

Last, Keep in mind that your notebook can evolve...just as your Christmas celebrations do! Make changes or alter it so it makes sense and you'll never be sorry.

HAVE FUN! Your notebook will start with fun memories if you make up your mind that this isn't a task, but a neat way to channel your love of Christmas! Fill up a cup of cocoa (Some Christmas tunes if you're so inclined!) and enjoy the process of beginning your Christmas experience with this new perspective! Then your notebook will become something you treasure.

Reactions: Lolwlias

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
zchristy...thanks so much for posting this. It's one of the best Beginner's Guides I've ever read.

jodilee10128

Retire Member
Oct 23, 2007
I scrapbook each month and have a complete scrapbook of our year together. I have a page that is a calendar of each month with special events we did written on the dates and then pages with picuters etc of those activities. I think this year I will combine the two (Notebook and Scrapbook) . I'll keep you all posted.

MissyToes

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
On the pages that I want to archive and put in a plastic sleeve, I am now printing on cardstock because it will hold up longer. :flower:

Rackandrollgal

MHH Member
Dec 22, 2007
Great Smoky Mountains
I think I can, I think I can, I know I can - with your guidance. :pink:

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
:package:
Zchristy - wht a great thread!!! I will start small -- and try to create sections on Calendars and Rudolph Day on Rudolph Day!!!!!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
This is such a great thread!!! And - EVEN GREATER - are the people here at MHH who never get mad at us (me) for being slackers and never punish us or give us "time outs" - or say mean things or anything!! Just keep being loving - and giving us chance after chance after chance!!!! How did you all get to be so good? I guess the love of Christmas has something to do with it!! LOL

OK - my Notebook is out - with new 2008 pages printed! Here we go!
:skate:

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
You a great job!!!!! You will be so ready for Christmas.

Lolwlias

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cadyville, NY
Although my notebook is ALWAYS out and ready, it's UNDER my cd player!!!!!! How can I have access to it that way?? Okay, moved it.
The first RUDY DAY I do for 2011 will be for Feb, but that's okay. I'm getting myself back into this forum as well as OC. I've missed reading the posts and all the stuff we share about our holiday preps.

snowqueen

Premiere Member
Nov 1, 2007
Vermont
Lolwlias - Welcome back to the forum. There have been a lot of busy people here as you will see if you get a chance to read the past posts. Good luck with your notebook. I'm having fun getting mine ready. I'm doing more decorating on mine and I've also sarted notebooks for other holidays and household needs. I'm having fun with it.
Dorene

Last edited:

MaryE

Retire Member
Feb 14, 2012
Richmond, Virginia
I have created a "Christmas Meals" notebook which will have all my menus, recipes and pictures of Christmas tablescapes that I like looking at. I worked on it a bit last fall and dropped the ball, so I am working on it for Rudy Day in May. I did get the divider pages finished (the cover was already finished). I am using a scrapbooking kit from Gooseberry Patch and other papers from Michaels. Come take a look at my progress! Mary in VA http://rudydaynews.blogspot.com

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
MaryE- You should attach your blog link to your signature here.

I would like to pop in and check out what Christmas things you are doing!

Annie

:merrychristmas: