Storage for ornaments and other Christmas decor

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Scarlett

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
How do you all store your precious ornaments? I think an attic is too hot for some of my nicer things. I have been wrapping each ornament in tissue and storing them in a box in a guest room closet. There must be a better way, though. Any ideas out there??

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I just store all mine in plastic tubs. However, this year i've noticed that there are a ton of plastic storage containers out that are designed specifically for ornament storage and i'm dying to get some of them. LOL They have wreath ones and ones especially for ball ornaments, also ones that have cardboard dividers and trays to separate and store different shaped ornaments!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
A few years ago I did buy those plastic boxes made for ornaments. I love them and for me they are well worth the price. I tried to pick them up when they went on sale in January. A few I finally just bought at regular price after waiting two years to find them on sale. It helps that most of them have some red plastic on them so I can always locate them by sight.

I've always kept my ornaments in the house (not the attic or basement) because of the heat and moisture factor. I store them as carefully as I do my photos. All are precious memories.

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
Yes, those divided ornament tubs are wonderful! I still wrap some of my more precious ornaments in tissue before I put them in the tub, though.

My nativity scene is individually wrapped and placed in a sturdy, well-marked tub, too. In fact, all my Christmas decorations are in tubs. I keep them in the garage which is somewhat insulated, and they've done fine over the years as far as I can tell. Oh, except for the year I stored my candles in a tub too, and the tapers softened and bent a bit! I have four boxes or ornaments, and several large tubs of other decorations. There's just not room for them in the house.

momof4

MHH Member
Nov 3, 2007
Southwest Ohio
Great ideas...thanks for the link. I love Real Simple.