Strange feelings after christmas

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

chilli

Premiere Member
Dec 27, 2007
Austria - Europe
Every year the same story:

After taking down christmas decoration I always feel strange. On the one hand I am happy: You have a lot of New Year resolutions. You know a new year with all nice and positive things (easter, summer, fall, Halloween, christmas :)) is waiting for you.
Forget about the stress during the christmas season; now you have time again for your own needs and you come back to a kind of "normal life"...

BUT - there is also another, bad side: all the glamour is gone. Decoration is down, everything looks boring and cold right now. Even if you decorate a little bit at home for winter, it is not like christmas decoration. I always love the advent with its preparation, celebration with the family and the "magic thing" (I can't describe it - it is a feeling). For me this is also sometimes the boring, cold, dark side of the winter...

Chilli

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
The glamour doesn't have to be gone. I try to keep a bit of "sparkle" in my life after the decorations are gone. I have sparkly snowflakes in the windows, candlelights on the window sills, polished brass and glass candeholders with candles glowing. I still use my winter dishes for entertaining. I think too it's a time to simplify and rejoice in the newness of the year.

"heartstrings: Hang in there!

momof4

MHH Member
Nov 3, 2007
Southwest Ohio
I agree, chilli. Sometimes all the anticipation and excitement are forgotten once the big day is over. Once our decorations are down, I always take a look at my calendar to see what is coming up in the next few weeks - is there anything I can focus my energy on and get excited about? It may not be anything big, but it helps me not focus on the dreary winter days.

Also, a neighbor always plans a Winter Blah party the end of January/early February. It's really just an excuse for all of us to get together, but it's always a lot of fun. It's always a luau theme and everyone dresses up for it - even swimsuits for those brave enough!

CanadianJingles

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
I can relate. I find it a hard adjustment when my Christmas decorations are put away. It feels so bland and dull although I adjust after a few days. I think this is a good time to look at my everyday decorations and make sure what I have out (candleholders/pictureframes/etc) are ones I love and aren't just there out of habit. I'm going to rearrange a few pieces, I think. Simplify a bit and see if I like it better! :love:

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
I know what you mean, but it can be a fun time, too. I am sad to see all the decorations down, but I've still got my year round tree, now resplendent with redbirds and red and cream checked ribbons, wooden cranberry garland and red berry bunches, my snowman dishes that we eat off of every meal from the day after Christmas until VDay, when we switch to the white ones; snowmen on my countertops and my snow villages still up. This year, I left the ivy and red berry garlands, with white lights, framing my south-facing kitchen windows. I love the glow, and DH said he'd like to see me leave them up all winter. I posted a picture yesterday on my blog...you can see it there, just scroll down a little.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
:jumpinghearts:

Yes, the reality of a long cold winter can't be avoided. And there is more time to focus on the outside world -- where much of the news is not good. And more time to think about bills, pounds gained, etc.

To brighten things up - I am planning a couple of winter dinners for neighbors. Big platters of pasta and lasagna. A very simple salad. Good sliced bread. Big glasses of water to avoid dehydration, and big glasses of wine . (I have found delicious wine that is very very inexpensive. ) Candlelight on the table and a fire in the fireplace. This is an easy and inexpensive way to entertain.

Having people over is a great incentive to get the house cleaned up - which lifts moods of everyone in the house.

I am also very happy about Jumpstart January. For me, part of the winter doldrums is feeling kind of helpless and trapped. From past experience,I know tthat no matter how much is accomplished during these plans -- they DO improve things!

chilli

Premiere Member
Dec 27, 2007
Austria - Europe
Cathymac said:
I know what you mean, but it can be a fun time, too. I am sad to see all the decorations down, but I've still got my year round tree, now resplendent with redbirds and red and cream checked ribbons, wooden cranberry garland and red berry bunches, my snowman dishes that we eat off of every meal from the day after Christmas until VDay, when we switch to the white ones; snowmen on my countertops and my snow villages still up. This year, I left the ivy and red berry garlands, with white lights, framing my south-facing kitchen windows. I love the glow, and DH said he'd like to see me leave them up all winter. I posted a picture yesterday on my blog...you can see it there, just scroll down a little.

I had a look on your pages and they are really great. I will visit them more often in future!

Chilli
(also thinks about starting a blog...)

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Chilii .....DO IT...start a blog....they are so much fun....

AND I know exactly what you mean about those feelings after Christmas...luckily they pass....

campncook

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
south Texas
No matter how old I am , I do feel so sad to see the beauty of Christmas gone. I will really try to get it all away the upcoming days off from school - January 21. I am really trying to put alittle away each day, too...since there is NO way I can get it all put away in ONE day!
My DH knows how depressed I get and so he DOES have a camping trip planned once I have it all away. He is just too sweet - but then HE gets depressed too...He loves the wonders of Christmas as much as I do!
But with help from you all, I can get through this! :sad:

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
These strange feelings could also be caused from a lack of sunlight. I use feel bad after Christmas too but found out it was a case of "SAD" and had nothing to do with Christmas being over. Now I have a "sun" lamp next to my computer and no more strange feelings. Give it a try, it can't hurt and it might help.

One year I put plant lights in my living room fixtures. My dh even said it made him feel better too.

zchristy

Santa's Elves
I thought I was the only one who felt a little "droopy" when Christmas ended. My down day got post-phoned this year - I am a singer in a rock and roll oldies show, and after 4 years off we did our first (very successful) show back together Jan 4th.

So I thought I had escaped this Christmas unscathed until the ruckus died down, the busyness of the show ended and I realised I have another couple of months before I perform again.

Today is the first day both of my kids are back and school and Dh is back at work, so today's my day to feel a little blue. But the good news is, I have much to look forward to this year, good neighbor-friends nearby, we're all healthy, and the weather looks good for the next couple of weeks. So I don't have to contend with a Canadian blizzard on top of everything else. Little victories. ;o)

I am so happy to have found you guys - I needed a place to get a little taste of Christmas and greet others with a passion for the season and everything it brings. :) I'm so glad to be here!

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
There's something about the broad, flat, gray expanse of January after the wonderfully celebratory October, November and December that can leave me feeling tired and dreary. You never get to experience a let-down after a holiday, because there's a new one right around the corner. Until you hit January. I just can't get in to being excited about MLK Day or Presidents' Day, and Valentine's Day is so far away! I agree with zchristy, this is a great place to be able to come when you need a dose of holiday cheer!

Ahorsesoul, is a sunlamp the same as a plant light? That really might be worth a try.

zchristy

Santa's Elves
I decided after I posted this morning, to try and embrace the winter. So I lit a candle, brewed some holiday chai tea and took on a little project.

I took the white paper snowflakes that my kids made yesterday after school and hung them from fishing line at different lengths in my front window. I'm sure I won't feel as cheery having to vacuum up all the irredescent glitter the next month or so, but it definetly cheered me up to see something wintry and shimmery made by my two precious kiddos.. :)

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I agree that this place is like a dose of good cheer all year around. I was very depressed when I first heard OC forums would close. Then so many people opened other forums the depression lifted when I realized my friends would still be around. How funny to miss people that I really never see or even know for "real". Love this tech age!

Holiday Joy, I'm not sure if a plant light and a sunlight are exactly the same but I've found either work for my dh and I. This year I also have two Aerogardens so I have extra light in the house and fresh herbs and lettuce all winter long.

http://www.aerogrow.com/

VictorianChristmas

Retire Member
Jan 7, 2008
Oregon
I know I feel the same as everyone else here. I have to say I do have my tree up still. LOL! It goes down on Saturday. All the other ornaments are down in the house. It is so hard to let go for me. This year my tree was so pretty and cheerful.

I think I will head down to Michaels and look for some Valentine and St. Pats day stuff then I can have it a little more cheerful around here for the next few months. I am so happy this site is on now after Organized Christmas is closing down. As soon as my roses start growing I will be happy.

Nutcracker

Retire Member
Jan 9, 2008
Birmingham, Alabama
I understand your thoughts! I try to keep my non-holiday snowmen out until February. That seems to help me. Also, I put out flowers (paperwhites or my late blooming Christmas catus) on the table to remind me Spring is on its way. Buy some if you have to do so! I loved the idea of planning a big hearty meal gathering with friends. Pop in a movie after dinner and have a good time with friends. Hang in there and visit here often!