Streamlining Holiday Meal Events...

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
When it comes to hosting large meals – whether for Thanksgiving or Christmas or any time really – there is a lot to be said for streamlining your prep. I think a lot of us do this, at least in part, already. I’ve compiled a summary of how I approach this sort of thing and would love to hear additional thoughts, tips and tricks! There is always something new to learn!

Establish the Menu – No brainer, right? lol I usually determine main dish first and then build appetizers, sides and desserts around that. If some of the guests are bringing something I give them an assignment – as in “Can you bring an appetizer” or “Can you bring some sort of side dish involving corn? Or a green vegetable?” That has worked pretty well for me – avoiding a situation where I overcompensate with what I make because I’m unsure of what is being contributed.

Master Grocery List – Most of us are probably already very familiar with concept of master grocery list from the various plans, HGP, etc. Broken down in to non-perishable and perishable – a list like this gives you good control over what you need and lets you start stocking up early.

I have been using an Excel spreadsheet, more recently a Google Sheet, to create and maintain my list. I include a row for each ingredient for each recipe. How much I need. The name of the dish. The event the dish is planned for. The date I need the ingredients by (especially important for anything to be prepped ahead and frozen)

I can resort the spreadsheet by any of my columns depending on what I’m interested in. I can sort by ingredient if I want to count up how many sticks of butter total I’ll need for the season. Maybe there is a great sale and I want to buy it all then.

I can also sort by date I need the ingredients by and include things I’ll need sooner than later on my weekly grocery lists based on that need.

You can create a grocery list for each event or one big one for everything – whatever seems easiest to you! Here is a snapshot from mine this year...items in green highlight are things I already have purchased or have on hand.

upload_2018-8-10_13-57-7.png

Event Timeline – Once again I have turned to spreadsheets to plan the days leading up to any event. I look at each recipe in turn. I read through the directions and think about each thing involved and what could be done ahead of time. I include tasks for digging out seldom used kitchen equipment so it is handy – roaster ovens, pans, etc.

Common things I target for doing 2 or more days ahead include:

Pre-cooking/Browning meats and freezing until needed - i.e. shredded chicken or ground beef

Shredding cheeses – putting the cheese into labeled containers or Ziplock bags and then back in the fridge.

Hard Boil Eggs – They keep, still in shell and covered in water, in fridge for at least 2 days, until you are ready to peel and use them

Juicing citrus (lemon, limes, etc.) – This can be done ahead of time and juice kept in fridge up to 2 weeks.

Pre-measuring/Mixing any dry ingredients for any recipe. I often use masking tape written on with a Sharpie to label containers.

Cut and/or set out bread for stuffing or croutons to air dry

Here is a sample shot for the timeline I am working on for our annual Christmas party - you'll see I've blended in some last minute cleaning tasks as well. My goal with the timeline is to have a one stop list of to do's that walks me through right up to the moment guests arrive:

upload_2018-8-10_14-4-48.png

Common things I'll do the day before:

Clean and cut any veggies (except cucumbers, I usually wait on those!) – Mushrooms especially can take a long time to clean! Get all that onion chopped and measured out in to different baggies – labeled! – for each recipe!

Peel and cut potatoes, they store just fine in fridge covered in water until ready to cook

Cook and chop any bacon needed for a recipe

Set out sticks of butter to soften

Toast nuts

Roast garlic

Misc. Tricks

Let’s say you way to serve little chicken salad slider sandwiches – you don’t want to assemble them too far in advance because the bread will get soggy – which leaves you potentially scrambling to do it last minute.

My solution is to use a large cookie scoop to place individual mounds of salad on a wax paper lined cookie sheet that gets covered and put in the fridge. The time in there chills the mixture together so it holds its shape when you grab it and pop it on a bun.

Are you making pigs in blankets? Or something similar? You can wrap the meat in the dough and line them up on wax paper lined cookie sheets and store in fridge until ready to bake. Transfer to a non chilled baking sheet when ready!

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-10_13-56-37.png
    upload_2018-8-10_13-56-37.png
    120.3 KB · Views: 1
  • upload_2018-8-10_13-56-43.png
    upload_2018-8-10_13-56-43.png
    120.3 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: Minta

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
AJ, Wow. You are an planning marvel. I have all my plans and lists written in my planner. I would love to be able to do s spreadsheet like this but I am not really a computer person. A marvelous job though.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
AJ, I thrive off of lists during the busy seasons of life.

I used to write out my lists but over time, I have moved my lists to Google Docs. I copy and paste from the year before and then tweak the lists for the current year.

Your spreadsheet with the list of things to do and the times is intriguing. I tend to keep the food and cleaning separate and my timeline is more like the 2 days before, the day before, the morning of, etc. I can see how making a schedule with a detailed time frame can be helpful on those busy days. You've given me something to consider doing this year.

I like the pre-scooping idea for chicken salad. I did something similar for an elementary school ice cream party. I pre-scooped ice cream into muffin tins and then put them into our deep freezer.

I'd like to add a tip for those who live where Christmas is usually cold. On the day of the party, if we are short on refrigerator space, then we take advantage of the cold weather. We place the trays of wrapped ready to bake appetizers into our garage. It's like a walk in refrigerator. We've also filled a cooler with refrigerated items that we weren't going to use at the party to free up space for the party food. the filled cooler gets placed it in the garage during the party.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Holiday Mom, we use the basement entryway for the 'extras' during the party days too.

I liked the prescoop ideas.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Some other random thoughts...

I can't say enough about the usefulness of crockpots when entertaining! Not only can you cook a recipe in them start to finish but they work great to hold items at a nice hot temp too.

I've done this for mashed potatoes - once they are made up and piping hot - into the crockpot they go on the Warm setting and then I don't have to worry if the rest of the meal won't be pulled together for another 1/2 hour.

I have several crocks in different sizes - one was a wedding gift and the rest have either been Black Friday purchases (crockpots are on sale EVERY year) and even one I got at a garage sale!

I've kept rolls warm in a crockpot too. Placing a paper towel or fabric napkin across the top of the insert and then setting lid down on that helps to prevent any condensation that might come off the hot bread and drip off the lid when you remove it.

I've used a crockpot to heat apple cider for events too!

Another great thing to have is a roaster oven. You can make your main dish in it and leave your normal oven for all the side dishes. Many roaster ovens also come with warming tray inserts which can be nice too.

I have an actual warming tray that I just sit casserole pans right on and that keeps those items nice and hot! Stoneware is great too for holding heat for a good while.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Crock pots are also great for hot chocolate ... make a hot chocolate station with extras in mason jars or other pretty containers.

They are also great to make over night oatmeal or other breakfast recipes if you are doing a holiday breakfast.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I love my crock pots. So handy on a busy day.
As Aunt Jamelle mentioned perfect for mashed potatoes. I always served buffet style and used a smaller one for gravey.
The Black Friday sales are the best. I got my son's free between rebates and coupons.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Crock pots are also great for hot chocolate ... make a hot chocolate station with extras in mason jars or other pretty containers.

They are also great to make over night oatmeal or other breakfast recipes if you are doing a holiday breakfast.

We have used the crock pot for hot chocolate for the post ice skating gathering at our house. We came across a shortcut for hot chocolate quite by accident a couple of years ago. It was the day of the ice skating party and we didn't have enough hot chocolate mix or milk on hand so dh ran out to get them. Our youngest noticed that the grocery store sold chocolate milk by the gallon. The price difference wasn't much different than the milk and hot chocolate mix so dh bought it.

I'll have to look into the overnight breakfast recipes.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Holiday_Mom, love the idea of using chocolate milk in the crock pot. I might have to use that one next Winter.
I have realised after reading this that I do not use my crock pot nearly enough. It is an older version, maybe I need to look at upgrading to one of the newer models.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Deviled Eggs:

Eggs can be boiled, cooled in ice water bath and stored in the shell, covered with cold water in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days.

You can also pre-make the filling and store in a ziplock bag with all the air squeezed out. Store empty egg white shells in another ziplock also with all air pressed out. Can do this 1-2 days before serving. Just snip corner off the bag of filling and pipe into the shells!

Mashed Potatoes:

You can peel and cut into pieces then store covered in water in the fridge (airtight container) for up to 24 hours. Longer and potatoes start to break down. Smaller pieces of potato cook faster – just drain and pour pieces into boiling water – they’ll be cooked before you know it and ready to mash.

You can also make the mashed potatoes ahead and reheat – either slowly in oven or crockpot – I’ve also warmed them partially in microwave then put into crockpot to heat the rest of the way. I usually mash in more butter to make sure they stay nice and moist.

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Alfredo Sauce:

Can make it up and have ready about an hour or so before serving. Hold in a crockpot with a tight fitting lid (to avoid “skin” forming). This isn’t a sauce you want to cool then reheat, keep it hot! If it gets too thick, 15 minutes before serving stir in a little milk to thin to desired consistency.

Noodles/Pasta:

Cook just to al dente. Oil lightly. Hold in crockpot with small amount of water in the bottom. Replenish water every 30 minutes until serving time – stir noodles gently at same time to make sure they aren’t sticking.

Tossed Salads – I’ll clean lettuce, pat dry then tear up. Can store in serving bowl or in ziplock – just add 1-2 paper towels to absorb the moisture. I will often just place in bowl, add all other toppings but cucumber, top with paper towel, cover and put in fridge. I slice the cucumbers last minute, toss the whole thing and it’s ready to go!

Another crockpot warm drink idea - mulled apple cider! Or just warm the cider and have a bottle of caramel flavored vodka for guests to add to their glass as desired. Boy is that yummy! And warming!!! We usually do that when we're camping actually, lol!

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
A couple of days before, I'll make any cheese spreads and dips I'll be serving as an appetizer and put in the serving container, covered with Press & Seal wrap, and pop them into the refrig. On party day, simply remove the wrap and onto the serving tray with crackers, crustini, veggies, etc. I'll also cut all the veggies (except cucumbers) several days in advance and put them in sandwich bags for quick serving and adding to the tray during the party, if things run low. If I'm running short on time, rather than making a veggie dip, I'll use bottled ranch salad dressing. For beverages, unless it's well below freezing outside, I'll put pop, beer, and wine on the deck to chill -- wine and beer can go out, regardless of how cold it is. I've even used a snowdrift outside the back door to chill wine -- just jam the bottle into the pile of snow to make an indent, and let it chill. Just remember -- do NOT leave your wine out overnight or you'll wind up with a popped cork (speaking from experience).

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Also, if you're doing a pot luck dinner, there are several good free online apps for party planning for a pot luck. My sister uses Sign Up Genious and it works well for our family gatherings. But there are others, too. She includes the URL for the menu planning tool with her online email invites, so those invited can RSVP and sign up for a dish to pass at the same time. And, she specifies how many of each dish category she wants -- i.e., 3 appetizers, 2 hot vegetables, 2 potato dishes, 3 pies (and I think you can specify 2 pumpkin, 1 apple, 1 other [specify in notes]), etc., to insure the proper variety for the crowd and avoid duplication.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Holiday_Mom, love the idea of using chocolate milk in the crock pot. I might have to use that one next Winter.
I have realised after reading this that I do not use my crock pot nearly enough. It is an older version, maybe I need to look at upgrading to one of the newer models.
Have had my new crockpot for a few weeks now and it is great. Need to go back through this thread and find more ideas for crockpot uses.

Reactions: AuntJamelle

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
AJ~What a great spreadsheet. It reminds me of a similar document I used to use with a master grocery list which, like yours, included ingredients for special recipes. I also had a column for the grocery store department, so I could sort my final list by where it would be in the store ... dairy, condiments, fresh produce, meat, bakery, snacks, baking, etc.

It's much more casual these days. I just jot a few things down and send DH to the store to run around and find things. LOL

Reactions: AuntJamelle