Sultry Sunday, 7-19-2020

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
Good morning, MHHers!

Reactions: PamelaG

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
Hello!

I typed Sultry Sunday, not Resulted Sunday. Admins, can that be corrected?

There is a weather advisory out for us today, because of the temps and heat indexes. I just don't do well with this, as you know. And so, I did not make it to church. However, that is not the main reason.

Stephen called me. Melanie tried to take her life last night. He found her in the tub about 3 a.m., and she was unconscious. His heart was breaking! And so was his mama's heart. I was on the phone with him for about 15-20 minutes to try to calm him down. She was taken to a place in Terre Haute IN. A rehab, as it were. One if her dearest friends had died of a heart attack on Friday night. Her father will be dead one year in a week or so, and she misses him terribly. Nothing wrong with that. She h as not been working, but was due to go back to work at visiting Angels, so once again, they are hurting for money. He doesn't get full pay, because he is on reduced workload duet to his sciatica. It never stops. I cannot help them financially with the rent or car payment. It just. never. stops! Please, PLEASE pray for them. I do not know what to do. I did pray for him and them before we hung up. I am overwhelmed.

Didn't get my iPad charged last night, and almost out of juice. So, I will close for now. I am so thankful for my MHH family. Your love and support mean everything to me.

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
Good day Pam and all who follow. We're also supposed to be hot again today.

Pam "hugs" I understand the ache in your mama heart. Praying for God's love, mercy, provision and refreshment to surround Stephen & Melanie.

Not a lot planned for today. Laundry washed & hung. Ashley will fix a pizza casserole for supper. Then there is a wrestling PPV to watch tonight.

Stay safe.. Take Care.. Enjoy your day

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Hawai'i
Aloha!

Pam- I am so sorry to hear this. I will send up good thoughts for them to get through this and for Melanie to get the mental health care that she needs to work through all of these things that seem insurmountable.
Hi Tricia!

DH set his alarm for 5, or shortly thereafter, and then didn't get up. As usual. :rolleyes: I'm normally awake, however, there are random days when I am still sleeping and would like to continue to do so. What the heck is the point of setting the alarm if you're not going to get up for another hour? Ugh! I let the dogs out and watered the back yard. I think he gave up on getting grass to grow in the bare spots so I have taken on the task with a sprinkler. He was using a hose to hand water the yard and I told him it probably wasn't getting enough water. So we'll see what happens with the sprinkler. I watered it last night too.

He mentioned something about going to the beach this morning but we'll see. I'm not completely opposed to the idea, I could use some sun if any pops out as it looks pretty cloudy from what I can see even though the sky is just starting to lighten. He will go to work later for the afternoon and i'll study my pre-assessment because i'm taking my real test tomorrow morning. I started a new book last night so i'll sit out with DD and read by the pool later too. Got that set back up last night.

Enjoy your day!

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Good afternoon!

It's hazy, hot and humid here today. The clouds keep rolling in and out....waiting for storms to start this afternoon.

I slept better last night. I got up and watched a few episodes of Pioneer Woman, then showered and got dressed. Our garden is really starting to produce. John brought in a giant bowl of green beans. We have a few pickling cucumbers ready, too. The tomatoes are coming too....still green, but getting there. Only one zucchini plant is producing. The other seems to be rotting after so long. I think the leaves are shading out the veg and causing them to rot.

Nothing planned for today. H is on his way to work from the camping trip and will be home this evening. I'm trying to wrap my head around the opening of school. I have no idea how online schooling is going to work, yet I'm a bit anxious about going back to the school in person. I have zero idea of how to start a school year online for 6 year olds. I haven't found any answers online either. I signed up for a virtual pd on the program our district uses for cyber school, but I'm not sure that is even what I will be using. Too many unknowns.

Pam...praying for Stephen and Melanie. I hope Melanie gets the mental health services she needs to overcome her deep depression. Hugs for you Pam.

Jessica...I would love some beach time! Sounds heavenly to me.

Tricia...pizza casserole sounds great! We're having Chicken in Cream Sauce and Steamed Green Beans for dinner.

~peace and blessings~

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Hello all! Over 90* already so a hot one for sure. Hotter tomorrow!

Had a nice time yesterday visiting old friends. We sat in the back yard, ate and talked - even talked about normal things - not Covid. Lifted my spirits a good bit. Now that we know they are comfortable with visits we will have them visit us soon.

Today being so hot I guess I will not expect much of myself - just the usual puttering.

Pam - thinking of you and Melanie and Steve. Sending hugs, love and strength.
Lisa - how wonderful to have a garden - making me hungry for veggies
Jess - enjoy your beach time. I'm sure you'll ace your assessment tomorrow
Tricia - haven't decided on dinner yet but homemade pizza is an option
Katrina - hope the week goes well

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Hello!

Got up about before 6:30 and went for a ride. Only saw a pair of geese with 4 or 5 young ones. And 1 deer. Talked to a neighbor on the dirt road and then another one (whose son brought us cucumbers over last night) out in front of their garage. We did stir up a set of twins on ours across the road. Will try to post pictures tonight.

Got one ate breakfast and made 2 salads up (a new one and one we have made a couple times and like) and then have cucumbers and onions sitting with salt on them now and will add the vinegar and sugar in about an hour.

I am working in my room and Allen going thru a basket of soxs that have been unmatched. Can't believe all the trash I am getting out of here. It is a mess because craft stuff still in here and when I dig and not put back.
:(:rolleyes:o_O

It was about 78 when we were out this a.m. but about 90 now and should get to 96. Chance of rain this afternoon but will see.

I have several zucchinis we have been given or purchased that I should make bread but not sure I want to take the time out and do that. Or zucchini bars, Ryan loves them as do I so I better don't do so I won't eat any mot self control with them :D---or I have a good zucchini cookie recipe.

Allen is making sandwiches. In the books we have, we have been trying several recipes and this sandwich we like. Use raisin bread, 2 pieces of deli turkey and 1 pc. deli ham and brown them, then butter lightly the bread put on the meat with a piece of swiss cheese and fix like a grilled cheese. Think he is going to put pepperjack cheese slice on theirs.

Everybody enjoy the day!

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
I typed Sultry Sunday, not Resulted Sunday. Admins, can that be corrected?
Done.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Good morning,

Pam - Praying for Stephen and Melanie and sending hugs to you - being a Mom is so tough at times.
Lana - I love the idea of the raisin bread, adds a little sweetness to the sandwich.

Woke up to a wonderful e-mail from my cousin in England - I sent her some photos to ID and she sent the details back along with lots of family anecdotes - made me wistful for those days. I am making (one day!) albums for my Mum and Dad so I will print off her e-mails and include them. Got out of bed and seared a pork roast to put in the CrockPot for pulled pork.

IKEA delivery was due between 10:0am and 2:00pm and they showed up at 9:30am. I had just gotten out of the shower so had to throw on my neck to ankles fleece robe and open the door with wet hair. There was no-one there, just two very heavy boxes on the porch but a minute later, the delivery man came around the corner with another box. I asked him if he would put them in the garage, he looked at me like he was going to say no (they have this one entry rule for deliveries so maybe he thought on the porch was it?) and then I closed the front door and flipped open the garage. He brought the one he was carrying and went back for the other two.

On today's agenda is to start my Weekly Wonders one room a day cleaning plan by knocking out two rooms, the kitchen/dining room and the living room. In moving things around between the closets yesterday, I found three boxes of Christmas items that need to be inventoried. I think they are all things that I am keeping but again this holiday season, if it doesn't get put out, it's gone. No point in storing things that are never going to be used.

Hope you all have a great day and can stay cool if you're in a hot zone. It's going to be a sunny 78 here today.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

GrammaDeb

Premiere Member
Jan 4, 2014
Nevada
Good morning, what's left of it. I fixed a nice breakfast - bacon, scrambled eggs, and waffles. That's my cooking for the day - lunch will be finger foods and a salad for dinner.

Pam - I am so sorry. I'm sure your heart is heavy. My prayers are with you and Stephen & Melanie, for sure.

Dgkids had a friend visit yesterday - the friend just returned from a long vacation somewhere (both parents are teachers). They had to stay in the front room and dining room, where dh & I do not normally go. And then they walked through the house to go to the backyard, with a stop in the kitchen where I was. So much for distancing. This morning the kids are cleaning upstairs, planning to take her up there today. I certainly hope dsil doesn't allow that to happen, but it's his house and his rules. I'll just have to hang out in our bedroom when she comes.

The downstairs a.c. just started making a dreadful noise. I sure hope it doesn't go out.

Have a nice day.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Hawai'i
Lisa- Sorry about your one zucchini plant. Sounds like the rest of your garden is producing well though. I can imagine what a trying time this is for you with all the unknowns of the virtual world. I know you will figure it out and be fantastic. There should be a forum somewhere for teachers in each grade level all over the country to share ideas and what is working for them or what their school is doing so everyone can bounce ideas off of each other.
Debbie- So happy you had a great time with your friends!! Did you ever get my mail? Thanks for the vote of confidence!
Lana- I have a zucchini left in the refrigerator that i'm debating on what to do with too. I'm thinking zucchini cakes (like small patties that you fry) because I made bread not that long ago. If you want the recipe let me know.
Pamela- How wonderful to have those stories! At least they showed up I guess and i'm glad he moved the heavy boxes where you wanted them.
Deb- Oh my, a friend that has been traveling is not a good idea in my opinion. I hope everything turns out okay.

I made muffins for breakfast and put out butter so Eli can make cookies. I have a zucchini in the fridge that needs to be used so i'm thinking about trying the zucchini cakes that my mom makes all the time. We're having Country Pasta for dinner here and I might throw on some green beans. I watered plants but haven't done much else, still in my pj's. I have Hallmark on off course. I might paint my nails today, been thinking about it forever and just haven't done it.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Lana and Jessica...I saw a recipe for Snickerdoodle Zucchini Bread. It's going to be the first thing I make, I think. Then, of course, I'll do some air fryer zucchini and maybe some breaded fried zucchini. I just love that stuff!

Pamela...glad the delivery driver was accommodating!

GrandmaDeb....sounds like a perfect breakfast!

I've been puttering around. I did my planner for the week, added the dates for soccer camps, dance lessons and recital recording dates to my calendar for August. The return/completion of dance for the season came out on Friday. Lots of rules there, too. Then, I used a gc from a student to order new stickers for my planner and two things for the classroom. We washed sheets, so I made the bed, then put away the load of whites. While I was at it, I tidied up the linen closet in the bathroom. Before I know it, it will be time to make dinner.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Afternoon!
Supper at dh's cousin last night was fun. we chatted outside until 11:30. Slept until 7:00 ths morning on and off.
Raining so no walk.
Vaccumed basement, washed basement bathroom and decluttered a few things. Rearranged and cleaned main bathroom cabinet.
Had salmon tartare for lunch and dh had mashed potatoes and blood pudding.

Kids and sis want to know what we are doing this week for vacation... duh... nothing! so finally we decided we will go spend a few days with my parents during this week and then will stay home for the rest of vacation time. probably leaving Tuesday. Kids want to come and maybe go to the zoo with xavier (how does that work out with covid?)

I napped in the gazebo this afternoon. Now I'll go do some ironing.

Ahorsesoul

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I worked on my menus today. Now I have four weeks sorted out. Then I made this weeks grocery list after making a batch of chili (not on the menu but LCs were saying the frozen lunch selection but getting slim, lol). We had the chili for lunch and frozen up 6 lunches.

Then off to the stores. I went to Aldi's, Walmart and our local grocery store. What's with the bare shelves of anchovies and garlic stuffed olives? The garlic stuffers must be on strike. The other stuffed olives are on the shelf. I found one big jar of anchovies but no little cans. Most everything else I had on the list was available. Came home to put the groceries away. How come when Dh shops I put the stuff away but he watches golf when I go. Hmmm, must do some thinking about this.

Did not find the yogurt DD liked so I found her a gluten free KitKat bar. $4 for a tiny pack smaller than the regular KitKats. They use to be her favorite candy bar after snickers. She was thrilled saying she will just have to make due. We are so spoiled by always having exactly what we have wanted for all our lives. Will have to work on being grateful.

Have a good start on the coming week.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Good morning to you all,
It is grey here and a little cool but do not think it got below zero so not too bad. I think I have a little vertigo, I feel a little wonky.
Work for me today and I am hoping that it is a quick day and I can get home again. I am hoping to do a little more knitting tonight, am at the stage where I am knitting the band for the cardigan.
DH is working from home and from what I read in the news this morning we are certainly picking up numbers again. There have been many more cases in the 2 states nearest to us but no active cases in our town at the moment. I am so anxious about it ramping up again.

Anyway, sending my best to you all and hugs for our dear Pam XOXO

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Pam, I am so sorry to hear about Melanie. They are in my prayers.

Taking a break and looking at MHH.

We haven't had any fried zucchini this year. I love it too. Maybe will try it in the air fryer. We use the instant pot and counter top grill all the time but not the air fryer. I am going to go look up the snicker doodle zucchini bread and air fryer recipe. Jess, I have a tuna cake recipe that I have used with zucchini before.

Allen is getting so many soxs paired up. :)

Wish I was off a few days to continue on cleaning but not till next weekend again.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I did some zucchini in the air fryer and we all liked it. Ryan said its pretty good like this. I dipped in egg and then a mixture of flour, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder. First time I have even touched the air fryer (Allen has some). I looked up the Snickerdoodle Zucchini bread recipe and will try that in the couple of days.

I posted the picture of the twins (and few others) on my blog. They were standing so good for me. Wish sis was here with her good camera taking them.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Hawai'i
Afternoon/evening!

Lana- The twins are so cute!

I helped Eli make cookies but they didn't turn out like they normally do. We used actual butter instead of margarine and I think that's why. I have piddled away my day it seems watching Christmas movies. I didn't do anything particularly productive. I did study a bit but not nearly as much as I should have. I'll study some more tonight. I have green beans going on the stove. I needed to run to the store to get some more mozzarella for dinner but I didn't. I'll ask DH to stop at the shoppette on the way home and see if they have any. If not then maybe i'll just try using a mix of cheeses and hope it's good. I do have some mozzarella cheese sticks I could grate I guess.

I did list the coffee table and end table finally on the local decor site. I doubt they'll sell and i'll end up having to put them up on the auction site instead and sell them for next to nothing. They are old, the end table is an antique but it has some water damage or something on top and needs to be redone. Both would be great project pieces, I just don't have the want to do it or the time.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
The day is really dragging here, how come work days drag and home days fly by?
3.15 here so about 2 hours to go and then home time. I love reading that you have all had relaxing days, watching movies, reading, it just sounds lovely.
I will go and make my self a cup of coffee and try and wake up a smidge,
Take care, night all.