Summer Sensations (Bugs Galore)

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Here's another kit for Summer Sensations: BUGS GALORE

Bugs Galore Post

Feel free to add additional ideas to this thread about bugs, bugs, and more bugs!!!

Pamelajane

Retire Member
Apr 19, 2008
Hertfordshire.UK.
Ginger i love this idea and your list.

My son is 6 and is currently doing minibeasts at school so this will be right up his street.

At the weekend he collected snails with his sister which they then raced! They all had names, it was very intense!

Our school Summer break begins at the end of July so i appreciate all these ideas, this gives me time to prepare.

Pamelajane

Twinkle

Retire Member
Oct 25, 2007
Yesterday my DD wanted to try to catch butterflies- she got her net out and then found a box to put them in- this prompts me to get together an outdoors box for her so we don't have to look for things- unfortuneatly we did not see any- but she gathered grass and put on the porch for them.

I would add a net to the list

starflake

Retire Member
Jan 10, 2008
I know each Dollar-style store is different, but you may want to check it out because I saw some beautiful bug nets and kits at the Dollar Tree the other day.

And if you can't find magnifying glasses, check out your local office supply store. They're usually near the marker/pen area (I had to get one for my costume and couldn't find them anywhere else -- not even at Walmart or Target). While you're there, you can buy a little mini spiral pad for the bug journal, a ruler, and index cards.

If you fear your child may harm the bugs, you could instead make a leaf identifying kit. You could still include the net; just have them stick their leaves in the net, imagining that they are capturing them. They can even trace the leaves in the journal. :flower:

jingle-jo

Retire Member
Feb 13, 2008
Staffordshire, UK
I made a mini beasts box for my children a couple of years ago! It really sparked their interest in insects! They no longer scream the place down when a woodlouse enters the house, instead the pick it up and place it outside after giving it a stroke and counted the legs!!

pixiestick

Santa's Elves
Nov 20, 2007
I have seen candy that is a bug thing with bug shaped sweetheart type candy, gummi bugs and little tweezers for eating it.

You could also make bugs out of different sized marshmallows and licorice "string" or rope.

You could also make a "dirt cake" and find "minibeasts" to put in it instead of gummi worms.

Love the "kit" ideas Ginger!

I was thinking of brainstorming an "Olympics" one in honor of the summer games being this summer--- any ideas Ginger?

pixiestick

Santa's Elves
Nov 20, 2007
Just saw this on someone's blog and thought it would fit the bug theme:

How to Make a Homemade Magnifying Glass
May 2nd, 2008

Yay, it’s May and the snow is GONE!

Time to get those preschoolers outside and enjoying spring.

The bugs are out too. Preschoolers and bugs make a great combination. It’s fun to look under rocks and leaves and see what’s underneath.

You can even make a homemade magnifying glass so your preschooler can get a better look.
What You Need:

* Small ziplock bags
* Water

What You Do:

Fill each ziplock bag with a different level of water, and seal the bag. Each water level will provide a different level of magnification.

Take your “magnifying glasses” outside and look through them to see what you can see!