Surprising household cleaners

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

cmerth

Premiere Member
Dec 19, 2007
thetilteditalian.com
Vinegar and water!! A spray bottle of vinegar and water will clean bathrooms, kitchen tables, countertops... the list goes on and on. I also do a mixture of vinegar and olive oil once a month on my wood furniture. No icky fumes to burn the lungs!!!

Also a sink full of warm water and 1/3-1/2 cup vinegar is a great soak for cloudy glasses, glass candlesticks, crystal bowls and even stainless steel forks/spoons/knives. Do not use it on silver.

Vinegar and water is great for cleaning mirrors and windows. Make them shine!! It even eats mildew and soap scum off shower doors (have to use a stronger vinegar concentration though).

The vinegar smell evaporates in a few minutes (quicker with windows open).

I can't used chemical household cleaners anymore (it aggravates my lungs) and vinegar is my new best friend!!!

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Great tips TFS!

I am a big fan of Melaleuca cleaning products. I have switched all household cleaners to them and have noticed a huge improvement :flower: With enviromental sensitivities, allergies and asthma suffers in my home (including myself) it was a relief to find something everyone could tolerate - and that worked!!

wadeallie

Premiere Member
Nov 26, 2007
Central Vermont
I love the glass cleaner (from the Houseworks book) with the alcohol, water and vinegar. My mirrors just shine!! I also go thru and wipe down the chrome faucets for a bright shine before leaving the bathroom. I make a small rubbermaid container of the solution once a week and keep it under the counter for those quick touch-ups when company arrives or the kids make a mess.

My son ALWAYS drips something oily on his shirt during meals, but it's no longer a huge problem. When he takes the shirt off, I touch the spot with a small dab of DAWN dish soap. I only do laundry once a week and that DAWN chews away at the oil and by wash day it usually comes right out!

Another favorite cleaner is salt and a lemon half.
I sprinkle salt on the bottom of my copper bottom pans and using the lemon half I scrub away the tarnish. They shine afterwards.

jinglemom

Retire Member
Oct 16, 2007
Great tips! :flower:
I recently have discovered the scouring stick (a pumice type stone) and am amazed. We have very hard water here which leaves rings in the toilets. I had tried so many products to try and remove them but nothing worked. The scouring stick removes it easily. When we replaced our old kitchen faucet with a different style, the old faucet left a visable yellow stain from the old glue. The scouring stick removed the stain as well. Very inexpensive too, around $1.00.

redfairy

Premiere Member
May 23, 2008
Utah
I am so in love with vinegar and water. Another tip I've learned is that if you heat up the mixture in the microwave for about 30 seconds, then it works really well on soap scum! I could just kick myself for not using this stuff earlier, instead of spending so much money on other cleaners!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I'm stuck on Mrs. Meyer's Cleaning supplies! I'm waiting to see if they come out with a Holiday scent this year. I emailed them but have not received an answer yet.

http://www.mrsmeyers.com

NLxmasmom

Retire Member
Nov 22, 2007
The new Febreeze scent for the Holidays is really nice - Cranberries & Frost.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Great tips! Funny, I just used a lint roller on my bedroom lamp shades yesterday and I thought I was so clever. ;0)