Sweet 16 - Twilight or New Year??

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

caitsmum

Retire Member
Nov 6, 2008
Bedfordshire England
For a while now my eldest DD has wanted a Twilight Party and for various reasons, it hasn't happened. This coming December she will be 16 so I had been planning things in my mind to give her a "sweet 16" Twilight style.

Then last week, while we were discussing something else, she let slip that she quite fancies a "New Year" themed party.

Now, I have to say, "Sweet 16s" are not a big thing here, so there isn't going to be any "competition" between her and her friends...one less thing to worry about! Lol!
BUT - her birthday is December 20th......which is rather close to Christmas. I don't really want to plan a New Year party the week before Christmas, and then do Christmas and New Year on top of it!

So.....What would you do?
Go with the long wished for Twilight that we have discussed and "planned" for the last 2 years, or start thinking of how to "do" New Year.....which doesn't inspire me and which she doesn't have many ideas about?!

Sheesh! Kids heh! :)
AM

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Can you wait and do her party on New Year's Eve?

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
If she likes the new years idea I say with Kim do it a little late new years sweet 16

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
My first thought, too, was to wait until after to celebrate her birthday. I would nail her down to one or the other themes, though, so I could go ahead and start planning and buying.

Maybe make a list of pros and cons of one over the other...ease of using things you may already have, difficulty of finding what she wants to decorate with, conflict with dates friends may have set activities with family at that time of year (which would be more likely at Christmas?).

If you did it after Christmas and a Twilight theme, maybe you could get people (friends or places that sell live already cut trees) to donate their trees to you and create an outside forrest theme - just creating a path to the house, if nothing else. Spray them with silver paint or spray adhesive, throw glitter at them, and you have "sparkly" trees. Make life size cut-outs of the characters and place them among the trees.

HTH.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I would just have the party on New Year's Eve if that is the theme she is set on....Jane's idea is really great too.

Saquilla

Retire Member
May 15, 2010
Perth, Australia
I'm leaning towards the late New Years theme.

The Twilight theme is great, but if she's been thinking of that theme for the last two years she may be a little over it by now? I remember being quite different from the ages 14 to 16, so that could be why she is considering changing the theme?

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Love the table! and it would be good for both themes. How about a New Year's Eve-Twilight theme?... as if it was in Twilight but they were at a NY's Eve party?

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Lucie, you are so clever!

caitsmum

Retire Member
Nov 6, 2008
Bedfordshire England
Thank You Ladies - I can see pro's and con's for both ideas.

She really likes the idea of dressing up and having the boys in a Tux (though I'm not sure the boys would agree! Lol!)

The problem I have is one of venue. Our house is FAR too small for ANY sort of party - she last had one when she was 6 and invited 4 of her friends.....they filled the house :-( ....we now have 2 more smalls to take into account as well as space for food, sitting, dancing etc!

I also have an issue with the timing of a New Year Party, not only do I think many - if not most - of her friends will have plans with their families, I have a problem with her younger sisters (who will be just 5 and just 8 by then) as my Husband does a tour between Christmas and NY, getting home late on NYE.

If I go with the original plan - of having it on one of the weekends either side of her birthday (my preference is for the one before, as they are still in school, whereas the one after is the 23rd...and I think family plans will be starting to kick in) then I htink there is more chance of getting a venue....and possibly a disco.....and someone to help me with the catering!

....Oh why do we have kids?! Lol!
AM