Sweet! A question!

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
Other than the obvious lumping up problem, does anyone know if you can freeze sugar? Or, is there even any reason to freeze it..if it's in an airtight container, will it last for a long time? I guess I should know this stuff, but I am wondering about it, so i guess I don't. I am considering buying a 25 pound bag of sugar for "stocking up" purposes, and I'm thinking about where i can store it. Any thoughts on it?

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I used to freeze my sugar just like I do with flour until I realized that was why it was lumpy. DUH!! I always buy extra especially when it is on sale and just keep it in an airtight container. I have never had it go bad.

HTH,

Melanie

sew-n-sew

Retire Member
Dec 31, 2008
Sugar will last indefinitely as long as it doesn't get damp or ants find it. An airtight container is all you need to keep it in great shape.

snowgoose

MHH Member
So long as you keep it in dry conditions it will last indefinitely, it's used as a preservative if you think about it - candied fruits, jams and jellies, candied peel etc. Large canisters with well fitting lids should do the trick.

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
It will keep indefinitely when sealed.

I am interested though that you'd freeze your flour. I keep mine in airtight containers (a case of weevils from a new, unopened bag spoiling my whole "stores" cupboard a few years back - everything now in airtight containers), but would stock up when on special (especially at Christmas), and use it for up to a year.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I freeze extra bags of both flour and sugar.

The only time I have trouble with the sugar clumping up if is I take the bag out of the freezer and let it sit too long before pouring it into the cannister.

The moisture from the defrost process seems to not be an issue if I pour it into the cannister fairly soon after taking out of the freezer.

We do not have alot of storage space for dry goods in our house - the pantry is only for canned goods due to occasional invasions - fought bitterly - of mice.

I would not feel safe leaving bags of sugar out on the pantry shelves and I've no room for it elsewhere.

But I could totally see sugar keeping just fine in the bag for quite some time - it sits that way at the stores forever doesn't it? :)

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
Aunt Jamelle, would you be able to put glass jars (perhaps large kilner type ones) into your pantry? The mice couldn't get into those, and the dry goods would be safe and leave you more freezer space. I know at home, that's what mum does (she lives in the country and mice have been known to come in from the fields every few years) and it has never been an issue. I only moved from packets to glass cannisters when I had the infestation as it spoiled a lot of my supplies (pasta, rice, flour, sugars, nuts - all sorts had to get thrown out) - now I have a big range of glass and plastic containers that are well sealed and no issues since.

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
Thanks all of your for your replies. I am thinking it might be easier to just buy a smaller bag every grocery visit than to try to store a huge bag. I'll have to give that some thought.

Winged One-if I understand it correctly, freezing flour prevents weevils from invading it, and kills them at the source, so they don't develop into weevils. Sounds gross, doesn't it? But I know it works, because I've done it for years!