Tacos, tacos, tacos

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

teachturnedmom

Retire Member
Oct 21, 2007
SE PA
Hi all...My DS9 has decided to switch up the menu on me and wants to have a taco bar for his bday party. There will 30-40 people, including adults and children. So, does anyone have any advice on tacos for a crowd? He's also requested a Phillies stadium cake so that's going to keep me pretty busy as well up until party time next weekend. My questions are:

How much ground beef? I was thinking of keeping it warm in the crock pot.
What's the best way to organize? I do have a nice long buffet table so that works well.
Besides the toppings, should I offer other sides? Any suggestions?

Well, if anyone has any ideas, tips, etc... I'd be glad to "hear" them.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Give you ds a hug for asking for tacos! How easy! Most everything can be prepared ahead of time and stored in plastic bags in the refrig. Remember to put out a few hamburger buns for those who do not like tacos, they can make a cheeseburger with the meat and cheese.

http://www.ellenskitchen.com/bigpots/plan/texmex100.html

teachturnedmom

Retire Member
Oct 21, 2007
SE PA
Great link! Thanks! I love the idea of the hamburger buns. Although, I think we're going to order a pizza for the NON Taco people. They are so picky that they wouldn't eat the ground beef like that....LOL....Thanks again!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Love that link! Tfs!

I'd use the crockpots... it's so much easier!

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Also put out some kind of tortilla chips or Doritos so those that want to can make a taco salad.

MissBrittany

Santa's Elves
Aug 25, 2008
Florida
I JUST did this in October for a "Mexican Christmas" going-away party for friends! We had 44 on the guest list. We have chaffing dishes and a wrap-around counter that I lined everything up on, buffet-style. Here is what I did...

Chaffing Dish #1- 5 pounds ground beef in taco seasoning, 5 pounds shredded chicken in enchilada seasoning

Chaffing Dish #2- Instant rice, 6 cups uncooked; 6 regular cans Bush's black beans

I also bought cupcakes and made punch and had bottled water on hand. The "fixings" I asked each attending family to bring, but with 38 people (10 of which were kids), this is what we used:

20-30 small soft taco sheIIs/tortillas
20-30 hard taco sheIIs
1 bag shredded lettuce
2 pounds shredded cheddar
3 large tomatoes, diced
2 jars salsa, mild and hot
1 large carton sour cream
1 jar taco hot sauce
1 jar jalepenos
1 jar queso cheese

I also had tortilla chips for those who wanted to make a nacho platter or taco salad, and plenty of assorted sodas. I wanted to have lots of variety since everyone likes their tacos a different way. We had VERY little left over. Of course you can leave a good bit of this out, but since others were helping me as the party was a send-off, it was easy to do it all cheaply on my part. I got the meat when the store had it BOGO. I also put out the George Forman grill for those who wanted to press their quesadillas etc.

Because this was my first time doing a taco bar, I was afraid I would run out of meat. So after plates and napkins and sheIIs, the first thing people got to was the rice, then beans. That was followed by both meats, cheese (for quick melting!), veggies, sauces, and sour cream.

Let me know if there is anything I didn't address! LOL! I think that pretty much covers it.

momof9

Retire Member
Dec 3, 2007
LALA Land
Great ideas. I am having a mexican meal at my son's Diego party. I will be watching this thread!

BTW, still need ideas on his party. Thread in 'Birthday Celebrations' title: "Ok, all you creative ladies" hint hint

MissBrittany

Santa's Elves
Aug 25, 2008
Florida
You are welcome! That should help you decide the amount of food you need for that many people, which is always the hardest part. :)

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Many years ago I went to an upscale Mexican restaurant. A friend ordered Spinach Enchiladas. I had never heard of such a thing so she let me have a bite. It was DELICIOUS!

I have never had one again and always think about them.

Ahorsesoul- The link you provided has a recipe for Cream Cheese and Spinach Enchiladas. I MUST try this. The recipe serves 100, so I'm definetly going to have to scale this way down.

Thanks for sharing the link!

Annie