Take It Down!!

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
When does everyone take their Christmas tree and decorations down?

I want to take mine down NOW, but I am being outvoted. GRRRR!!!

I used to always keep everything up until New Year's Day, but the last couple of years I have packed it all away before New Year's Eve.

So, when are you putting away Christmas 2015??

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
Ours come down the day after New Years Day so Jan 2nd.

Why? I have no idea? It was when my Mum always said that they should go down! For some reason she was very adamant about it- possibly cause my Dad wanted them down earlier- actually he really didn't care just liked joking around with her!
Unfortunately she went to the angels and I never got the opportunity to ask if she actually had a reason for the 2nd of Jan- never thought about it then.
So by Mum's tradition ours are up til then. I usually pull the outside wreaths down a few days earlier though- but no idea why I do!

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Some years I leave it up until after New Year's and other's I take it down before. In recent year's I feel like I've taken it down before New Year's because i'm ready to be done with it and start the New Year fresh with a clean house and nothing lingering from the previous year.

I did hear somewhere recently that it was thought to be bad luck if the tree was taken down before New Year's. This year I will be taking it down after my brother and DS get here and we do our second celebration with them. They will be here very late tonight so I will definitely take down the office/game room tree tomorrow at some point and start working on the living room and the rest of the house during the week.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
We did take ours down yesterday. Decorations came off Saturday night. That is the EARLIEST that we ever have taken it down. Normally it is after New Years when it goes down. Teigan was telling it bye bye. My MIL always kept hers up till the 3 Kings came.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I'm ready to take mine down. Several of the light strings are out so this year I'm taking off all the ornaments and tossing the tree. I still need to find new lights. Was hoping to find them on sale but by the time I arrived at the stores they were out (or packed away for next year).

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I'm not taking everything down until after New Years. I'm completely exhausted from this weekend and I just don't have the energy to even contemplate starting the big job of take down yet!

Besides, it will be nice to enjoy the decorations a little longer. :)

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I'll take down Saturday and Sunday before I have to go back to work. That's usually when I do it.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Everything will be down today as we hope to leave tomorrow.

I prefer to leave them up for all 12 days of Christmas.

snowlvr

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Western North Carolina
I take the tree down New year's day because I am usually off. It takes me a few days to really get all the decorations packed away. Usually start putting other stuff away earlier but its hard because we have company right now. Everything definitely away the first week of Jan.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
January 2nd as I have guests on the 31st and on Jan 1 we have lots of places to go to. I want everything down before I go back to work

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I took our tree down today. The tree didn't go up until the 19th because I was having some awful dental issues infected tooth/root canal and had no energy for decorating. I want to be ready to jump in the car and go to MI to see my mother if the sleet storm stops and roads clear for safe travels.

I back at school on Monday and want it all put away before I go back. Last year it was the end of January before I got it all put away. Next year I want to spend Christmas with my son and family in NH. I will turn 60 on 12/27 and I informed my children (all adults) that was what I wanted for my birthday. My two dgds 4 and 2 are there and grandbaby 3 is due in July. I cannot think of a better way to celebrate.

jollykelly

Premiere Member
Feb 22, 2015
Lehigh Valley, Pa
I have to work New Years Day and every day until then. So......my decorations and tree will come down Saturday and Sunday after New Years. I am so excited to put them up every year, and excited to put them back.

Kelly

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
It depends on my work schedule really. I am on every day this week. I am out "early" at 5 new years eve and day so I might do some then. I keep all my snow men up til February at the latest.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I will change to winter décor....so some of the greens will stay out....snowmen and snowflakes like Shannon said. I really do enjoy the decluttered look of January.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
We took it all down yesterday. It is all piled in a corner and will go to the storage unit tomorrow.

This house is just too small to be cluttered and it was time.

I like starting the new year fresh and that means a clean, uncluttered home.

Gidget

Premiere Member
Nov 24, 2007
Boston
Hi all,

I love hearing about all the different traditions.

In our home we Celebrate the 12 days of Christmas. We put up the tree on Christmas Eve and do not take it down until after the 12th night celebration of the Epiphany.

Best wishes to all for a healthy and joyous new year!

Gidget

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Mine will come down on New Year's Day. I am having people over fr dinner on NYE and after that Christmas is officially over for another year. I am ready to get my house back in order.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
It is time for Christmas 2015 to be put away. I am not really feeling in the mood but it is time for it to go!!

DebbiGall

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
I'm with Gidget I leave mine up for the full 12 days of Christmas, I wait all year to put up my tree and stuff. And I'm not going to take it down before it's time.
The 12 days of Christmas start on Christmas day and end on Jan 6th. I put mine up the first of December but I leave it up till the 12th day of Christmas to take it down.