Tell us about your main tree....

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Is it a display of collected ornaments over the years? Or, do you choose a color scheme and do a different tree every year?

Our main tree is a collection of ornaments from over the years. I do add in green, gold and red glass ornaments along with all the special ones from over the years. I top it with an angel and usually add red velvet bows. We do colored and white lights too.

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
Great topic!
Lisa, do you do white and colored lights on the same tree? I've been seeing that and really like it. I may do that this year.
I am using a combination of gold, red, brown and sagey green with burlap accents and a tartan type plaid ribbon. Multicolored lights this year unless I decide to mix in some white as well. We'll use a fresh Frasier fir this year.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Cathy~we do mix them together. I would really like to do all white sometime because I think it looks so pretty, but the family loves the multi. Your tree sounds pretty.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
I have a few 'themes' available (nutcracker -red/blue/green balls with mixed coloured lights - lighted star topper, angels - white/toffee/copper balls with warm white lights - Angel topper, poinsettia - garnet/gold balls with warm white lights - gold vintage spire to choose from.

I really like the mix of white lights with the coloured lights - may try that this year with the nutcracker themed ornaments I have. I think I would also like to add some of the tin icicles from Lee Valley

Last edited:

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Before last Christmas I bought a new pre-lit tree because our old one got broken after the previous Christmas so we needed one. We had never had a pre-lit one before. I prefer white lights but ours is multi-colored. I use paper chains that we have made over the years and ornaments that we have collected and there is a star on top. I don't do a theme or specific color scheme or anything like that. My mom gets the kids and us each a special ornament every year and sometimes we let the kids pick out a special ornament, but they put those on their own trees. I have some old ornaments that were my grandma's and some the kids have made. It's a very eclectic tree.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I have some traditional ornaments that go on every year for the main tree, but all the other that go on there with it have a specific theme or color. This year I am going for a traditional with a rustic, woodsy look. The lights will be the new LED lights (clear) that DH bought after the season last year. My ornaments will all be traditional Christmas colors. I'm wrapping gifts in green, red, and craft paper with Christmas ribbon bows. That's my project for the day. DH is gone to pick up the tree now - Fraiser Fir.

I have the tree in the reading/computer area that has multi-colored lights with my MHH ornaments along with ornaments students have given me and other ornaments I like.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
We only have 1 tree and it is in our living room. It is quite tall abut 7 foot and we decorate it with a mix of decorations. The children get a new ornament every year and we always put them on in order of oldest to newest. We are getting a few of those now because DS is 24 and DD is 19. We have a special ornament that dates way back to 1986 when DH and I were married, it is two bears holding a heart. Very special to us. We have decorations that mean special things to us on the tree and a mix of ornaments that we just like.
It is topped by an angel but she is getting a bit battered so at some stage i would like to changed her for something else. We don't put lights on our tree. I don't know why we don't.

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Our main tree is the snowflake tree. It's pre lit with white lights and covered in a combination of silver and white snowflakes. The snow flakes range from lenox to gorham to Waterford to ones I've picked up at target or a craft fair. The topper is an awesome gorham snowflake topper that dh found on eBay last year. This is my most favorite tree.

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
I'm not sure what "Main Tree" meant because each room has it's own "Main Tree".

Entrance/Dining - White, Gold, Silver, Ivory, Champagne (Angel Theme
Kitchen/Breakfast Area - Deep Red, Sage Green (Chef Santa/Gingerbread Theme)
Family Room - Family collections multiple colors
Front Bath - Leopard, Red, Black, Gold
Grandkids Room - Blue, White (Toy themed)
Craft Room - Hot pink, Black, Lime Green (Fiber arts themed)
Master Bedroom/Bath - Victorian Rose, Dusty Plum, Silver (Roses, Hearts)

Guest Suite will not be decorated this year since it's currently being used at storage for the kids while their home is being built.

I use white lights on everything and let the decor add the colors. I'll post pics as I complete each one.

Last edited:

sierra_mtns

Retire Member
Oct 9, 2011
One tree for home -- white, gold and angels
One tree for work -- multicolor lights and mini ornaments donated by staff over the years -- it's quite colorful

grandma bucket

Retire Member
Oct 5, 2009
My one tree is morphing into I don't know what. We always had hand made ornaments that my husbands grandmother made, were given to us or that I made myself. When my kids moved out I let them take all the ornaments that they loved for their trees and now my tree is slightly strange. My two young grandchildren have been playing with everything and helping to decorate so I just bought some of those plastic balls for them to place on the bottom of the tree (kid height) and you know what? Not that bad. They are 4 and 5 now so next year I may upscale things a bit and buy some ornaments that I just adore and make it a grown up tree.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
I love reading about everyone's trees.

I have a tree in every room in my apartment. The main tree is just dark red and gold ornaments. This year I added apple green color ornaments to the tree. Looks pretty nice. I also have two smaller ones that are just decorated with multi-color lights.

The tree in the diningroom is decorated with Santa theme ornaments. The kitchen tree is gingerbread. The bathroom is a poinsettia tree. The tree in the guest room is toyland. The tree in my bedroom is just red and white ceramic ornaments. The tree outside my front door is white with red faux apples. I didn't put my tree out on the balcony this year because we had stink bugs during the summer and I see one every now and then and didn't want to bring them in the house when I take down the tree. I usually decorate that tree with nature theme ornaments like reindeer, pinecones, berries and such.

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
We only have 1 tree. It has coloured lights (I will get plain white when these ones die), 4 lengths of tinsel (2 red and 2 gold), lots of ornaments that we have gathered on our travels over the years, been given as presents, or that I or DD have made. There is a sort of red and gold theme to the main baubles, but there are a lot of all sorts of different colours and styles of things on there (from crystal, to plastic, real pine cones to wood to clay, glitter and shine, or plain and (not dull but quiet), big and small, all sorts).

I love unpacking the ornaments every year and seeing how many we can fit on the tree this year!!

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Well I have gone and done it - the set of glass ornaments I loved last year, but could not make myself pay the price (and I really do not need another set!) --- WAS 50% of the discounted price! ugh

Will mix what I already have and create a few new ideas:

So I have asked DH to find me a stump of a tree - so that we can anchor our med. artificial tree into it - for my new set of glass woodland ornaments (for the parlor). Clear lights.

The angels with toffee/cream/copper balls will go into the entrance hall and bannister, and upper hall bannister - with the table top tree. Clear lights.

The nutcrackers in the enclosed porch - lights here are red/blue/green, urn tree.

The garnet, golds and poinsettias in diningroom with flocked pencil tree. Clear lights.

angelpugs

MHH Member
Oct 2, 2009
north adams ma.
as i have a couple of trees but,my main one in my livingroom is done in snowmen,santas,reds,green,golds and i have my village set up next to it actually looks like santa land here.:elf:

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Our tree is 95% homemade ornaments. We put white lights in the middle all the way down and then colored lights on branches. Lots of lights. I have irresdent garland and then a color changing angel on top.