Testing Recipes 2018...

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
So I'm looking ahead down the months this year and trying to plug in some dates on my calendar. Before I knew it things really filled up!

Time flies, it really does! And when I look at the list of recipes I wanted to test last year (at least 50) and the ones I actually did test (about 5 or 6 :oops:) I hang my head in shame!

So perhaps we can use this thread to encourage each other to think about what we want to test out? Brainstorm when we're going to do it too - because who wants to cook a turkey a new way for example and then figure out how to eat all of it on your own? haha

I would like to focus on main dishes and appetizers myself but I will probably want to test something in each category on the menu, knowing me.

Hopefully we can generate some chatter and help each other along! Share your plans and then come back and share the verdicts!!!

Reactions: Minta

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I try several new recipes a month. I’m pretty adventurous with cooking. I print a new recipe, make it, toss it if we don’t like it or make notes about it and then file it in my recipe binder, I could use several more meal times a day to try all the recipes I see.

I’m retired so I have extra time to cook. I do not like time consuming recipes so I do look for easy type recipes. I’m also getting into using the Instant Pot (pressure cooker). I have found I like my slow cooker better for some recipes. Stew is good in the IP but one of my Mexican recipes (type of pulled pork) turned out better in the slow cooker. I think because all the spices need more time to flavor the meat. Same with the Mississippi Pot roast. I liked it better in the slow cooker. The IP is cool for cooking frozen food.

LC1 is making the Cheesy Chicken shell recipe this coming weekend. She really like the leftovers we had frozen for lunches. She’s making it three different ways, the chicken, then with Italian sausage with red sauce and then a taco one. I’m going to try it with the Italian sausage with the Alfredo mixed with some red sauce. Great recipe.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
I've already tried three new recipes - rigatoni with meatballs which is good because you don't have to cook the rigatoni first; a ramen dish and a fried rice dish with shrimp.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I really need to look for some new recipes this year. I think my family are tired of the same old thing. I use to meal plan a lot and make time to try new things. Must get better at this.
Will follow this thread with interest

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Okay, so I tested a cookie recipe this weekend and it turned out awesome!

Sea Salt Butterscotch Pretzel Cookies - They have chocolate chips in them too. You start by browning 1 cup of butter and then stirring sugar, etc. into that once it cools some. The dough alone smelled divine!

Here is the link to the recipe in case anyone wants it!

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/190769734199767848/

I baked them on parchment paper for 8 minutes and they "looked" done, nice brown on bottom, starting to get ever so slightly brown on top - but insides were still partially uncooked in spots. 9 minutes was better, but ended up going closer to 10 with the last batch.

My first batch was only 2 cookies and I ate those to just "take care" of the problem ;)

I also froze 4 "balls" of cookie dough - will test baking them at a later date.

Then I froze the baked cookies. And then yesterday I tested getting some out, thawing and eating. Pretzels still crunchy - which is what I was worried about!

Side Note: I completely forgot to add the 1/4 cup of white sugar the recipe called for. I did add the 1 and 1/4 cup brown sugar and I felt like the cookies were PLENTY sweet with that. Just FYI!

Reactions: Minta and luludou

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
We don't have Andes mints here. I would have to look for a substitute but am sure that I can find something that works.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Well since I have a snow day off from work I figured I would test a new recipe that I found ... Old Fashion Ginger Bread. The kitchen smells wonderful right now and it's only half way done baking.

Reactions: luludou

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Minta, that sound delicious. Yum

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Over the next few weeks I will be trialing a few new recipes. Will be trying a coconut pie that looks quite easy and in a few weeks will be trying a salted caramel cheesecake. Looking to add one to our Christmas menu so am glad I am trying now and if neither of them work will look for something else.