Thanksgiving 2012

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
:turkey2:

Seems fitting I should start a new Thanksgiving thread, given I just picked up my turkey for the upcoming holiday! Was three dollars off a pound. Couldn't pass that up!

A Canadian Thanksgiving is only about 18 days away - it is time to lay out this years menu and plan! Tomorrow I plan on picking up our mums, and transferring out our summer flowers and ferns from the porch.

Looking for sales on the needed fresh items and beginning baking bread to make stuffing.

This years menu:

Baked goat cheese brie with cranberry sauce
Served with seed crackers and slices of apple and pear

Mulled Apple cider (in crockpot)
Thanksgiving Punch

Roast Turkey with GF Apple and Sausage Stuffing
Cranberry Sauce
Mashed Potatoes with Roasted Garlic
Sweet Potato with Pineapple Bake
Mashed Cauliflower with Butternut Squash Swirl
Roasted Parsnips, Green Beans and Carrots
GF dinner rolls

Dessert is:
Rustic Apple Tart
Pumpkin Pie

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
We always have a big family gathering at my mom's with my sister and her children and grandchildren, my cousins and their kids and grandkids.

I would really like to start having a celebration here at my house, but DS and DDIL celebrate it with her extended family, her mom and dad, and also with DS's dad's family. So by the time Thanksgiving holidays are over, they are sick of turkey and dressing.

Would it be a bad thing if I went with non-traditional Thanksgiving foods? I love decorating for fall and have these wonderful serving pieces and dishes I want to use. lol

A local grocery store had flour for .69 for a 5# bag today. I got 2 bags of plain flour and 3 of self-rising. It's on sale for .99 through the 27th. I may go and get some more and put it in the freezer. Tomorrow, they have Blue Bonnet margarine for .59 a pound.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
I do not think it is a 'bad' thing at all to go nontradional (I think you are meaning turkey?) for a Thanksgiving meal!!

There are some wonderful 'fall' like foods that just do not get enough attention :)

Cooking in the fall is one of my favourites, my biggest 'hosting' time.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Thanksgiving is not a big thing here (except for the day off!), but my parents will be here for the weekend so I need to do some cooking but things that an be prepped in advance or are done quick because we will be spending our time at the local festival. for the weekend thinking of lasagna, muffins, pickled eggs, a cake, all prepped in advance. We are having supper at the festival on the Saturday night.

Brie with the cranberry sauce & fruits might be a good idea too :)

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I have no idea what we're doing for Thanksgiving....and we're Canadian, so not far away at all. Usually I have my brother up, but just found out he's planning a trip over Thanksgiving. Thought we might be going to stay with family, but they are going through a hard time, so I'm doubtful that will happen. Might mean we'll host dinner for them, but I have absolutely no idea.
Guess I ought to plan as though we were having dinner here, and then if we don't use the turkey I can always freeze it for Christmas. I'd rather have too much food than too little. Who doesn't love leftover turkey anyway?

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
I'm hosting Thanksgiving this year, but only for a small number of people. My parents, my brother and his wife, and nieces and nephews.

The menu will be the traditional dishes we always have:

Turkey w/gravy
Spiral Ham
Crab stuffing
mac & cheese
Sauerkraut
Potato salad
Collard/Kale greens
Candied yams
Freshed baked rolls
Sweet potato pie and another dessert

When I was little everyone went to my grandmothers. Then my mom picked it up when my grandmother could no longer do it and sometimes I would switch out with my mom. Then another family member started hosting. Which is great.

My dinner will be held early so that we all can go see the rest of the family at the big shing-ding. It's always lots of fun.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I'd like Thanksgiving in Oct instead of the end of Nov. I always fix the dinner since we all eat gluten free.

HouseElf, What's Thanksgiving Punch?

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Ahoursesoul, here is the recipe :)

Thanksgiving Punch:
Ingredients

1/2 cup peeled, chopped fresh ginger
1/2 cup sugar
4 cups pomegranate juice
4 cups pineapple juice
6 cups ginger ale

Preparation

Stir 1/2 cup peeled, chopped fresh ginger, 1/2 cup sugar and 1 1/2 cups water in a saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Let cool and strain. Mix syrup with 4 cups pomegranate juice, 4 cups pineapple juice and 6 cups ginger ale. Serve over ice. Serves 8.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
DH's birthday is Nov. 9, so I've been thinking that I may have a family Thanksgiving celebration in conjunction with celebrating his birhday. He will be 50 this year. I could start doing it every year. on the weekend closest to his birthday. I'll have to think of a menu. I think it will center around ham, though, instead of turkey since everyone seems to burn out on eating it before the holidays are over.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
HouseElf, That punch sounds great. I'm putting in my notebook. TFS

missjane, A Thanksgiving Birthday party should be exciting for everyone. Let us know how it goes.