Thanksgiving 2013 Wrap-up -- How'd it go?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Thought I'd start a thread for us to write down our notes for next year. I have things I want to remember for next year and if I don't get them down this weekend, I will get caught up in Christmas (which is what happens every year and then I'm surprised I don't have any Thanksgiving Notes.

Here's mine:
Went well. Opting for store-bought rolls over homemade saved me GOBS of time on my feet - made for a much more leisurely day. Taking ibuprofen first thing in the morning helped my legs make it all the way through. Christina Ferrare's Turkey and Gravy Recipe (videos on Oprah.com) is a winner for the 3rd year in a row. I might switch up the seasoning recipe next year to be different but then I'd have to give up the gravy too and her gravy is pretty darn awesome.

Cooking turkey upside down for first 2 hours helped keep the turkey breast moist. Thumbs up. (Think I got that from Alton Brown).

Next year: Need new cloth napkins for bread basket. Need goblets that are a bit more festive than our standard wine glasses. Need to work on a better centerpiece. Do a better job of checking movies to record. Got Chitty Chitty Bang Bang but missed Dr. Doolittle. Also (IMPORTANT) get a rubber tub to store all the extra food items that get used up on Thanksgiving. Would be easier and neater to have them all in one spot rather than spread all over the kitchen counters.

angelpugs

MHH Member
Oct 2, 2009
north adams ma.
All went fine here everything turned out well of course everyone was stuffed.Food was good but,i think next year i'll get a different tablecloth this was is nice but,maybe something a little more christmasy vintage.Hope everyone enjoyed here it's nice to have an old fashioned holiday.:elf::gingerbread:

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I didn't do the big meal...just made sides, but my beans and my sweet potatoes were a hit. Thinking I will cook next year...would love to have a combined dinner for both families, but it will never fly. I would love for the holiday to have more meaning, but our families find it to be a time for food. Lol

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I wasn't as ready as I usually am on Thanksgiving Day. Most of this was because DD was rather demanding in the morning so I wasn't able to do things like get the table set early or get the floors mopped. I didn't put up a list of what I was serving so I kept thinking I had forgot to put something out. The list always helps.

My back was bothering me so I was moving slower (seems to be an epidemic of back pain this month). I did forget to buy sweet potatoes. They were on the list but in the back of my head I thought I had some but had already eaten them. Need to remember to visually see what items I have on the list. lol

I had saved take out containers a few weeks before from Red Lobster. Was very nice for sending dinners and dessert home. Will do this again if nothing else as an excuse to get take out from Red Lobster right before each holiday.

I did not have something for each guest on the table to take home. Usually I have a little bag of something (candle or candy). Completely slipped my mind.

The plastic mold for my turkey butter has seen it's last days. I had Dh order candy molds that I will try out for next year's butter.

Over all it went really well and my notebooks saved me lots of time and energy. Things like at what time to put in the turkey. Remember to check if I had toothpicks. Things we tend to forget from year to year.

I have to say our family is more into the food than into the meaning of being Thankful for what we have and each other. A few years ago I also would ask everyone to write down what they wanted for Christmas. Not sure why I have stopped that.

Looking for a table cloth fell off my list a few years ago. I couldn't find one I really liked. I settled for suede like leaf placemats that I now put under plastic (for DD).

I did forget to get photos of us as a family (but did take some of the food).

Last edited:

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
Our Thanksgiving was good...just 4 of us to cook for. I had to cross some "nice to have" things off my list as I had to really tighten the budget. Next year I would like a table cloth and cloth napkins, water glasses and maybe something for each setting like a chocolate turkeys (found these once years ago, wish I could remember where!) I'd like a few more decorations to put up also.

I didn't take any photos either, wish I did :(

LadyEvenstar

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southeastern PA
Well, as usual, we dined out and it was so lovely that we will definitely want to continue that tradition.

This year I pushed for everyone to get ready earlier (we only have 1 bathroom) and that made for less rushing at the last minute. I actually got to do my makeup! So that was good. Plus we got there in time for a leisurely drink before dinner.

One thing I have to remember for next year is to have everyone decide a few days ahead of time what they want to wear that day and have it all ready and laid out. There was a bit of a scramble to find needed items. That goes for the upcoming Christmas holidays too.

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
I had to work a half day . came home and my daughter had dinner I cook for Christmas. everything was nice and everyone had agood time.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Thanks!

Here's mine:
Cooking turkey upside down for first 2 hours helped keep the turkey breast moist. Thumbs up. (Think I got that from Alton Brown).
:rudolph:
Cool idea. Thanks for starting it. How do you "flip" the turkey for the last hour or so of roasting?

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Thanksgiving 2013

It turned out to be a nice day. Us four and my sis and niece. Watched Macy's parade while preparing.

Two days prior I made the side casseroles. Then Thanksgiving morn I put in bird. Right before dinner, I heated the frozen Trader Joe's mashed taters, made the boxed TJ stuffing and heated the TJ turkey gravy. Did I say I like Trader Joe's? LOL

I made a list on the iPhone for shopping at Trader Joe's. Had the meal list of sides and all on it too. I did refer to it because yes, I almost forgot to set out the cranberry sauce and cook the gravy! LOL My sis brought ham and buckeyes. I roasted a turkey. I like the idea of upsidedown cooking first. Breast if always ... dry. But then, I don't eat it. I like the drumstick! We ate, played games and watched The Preacher's Wife. Nice day.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I've cooked the turkey upside down for awhile too. Always a problem turning it. Then I watched that crazy youtube about using clean oven mitts to grab it. Will try that next year. I'd better make a note to buy oven mitts just for this purpose.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Really?

I've cooked the turkey upside down for awhile too. Always a problem turning it. Then I watched that crazy youtube about using clean oven mitts to grab it. Will try that next year. I'd better make a note to buy oven mitts just for this purpose.
Really ... I will have to search on YouTube! :rudolph:

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Cool idea. Thanks for starting it. How do you "flip" the turkey for the last hour or so of roasting?

Well, it is easier said then done. I take a few minutes to size it up, say a prayer and then... make DH do it! :) He almost used oven mitts this time. But we've used 2 forks each time. a 15 lb bird. Its still solid enough at 2.5 hours that it won't completely fall apart. It's in a rack, in a pan and he stabs both ends and very carefully does a kinda lift-roll thing. It ended up on its side first and then all the way over. I did my job and fretted next to him over tearing the skin on it -- so he was careful not to do that. I was worried I hadn't oiled the rack and that it might stick, but it didn't. Won't take that risk again though. Yes, there were rack dents on the turkey breast after flipping it but they pretty much pop out by the time it is done cooking. Turkey still looked great at the end.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Idea!

I think a lot of us will be trying this! LOL :snowball: