Thanksgiving 2016

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Canadian Thanksgiving is a month away! (October 10)

Looking at my holiday notebook and menu is great; best part of Thanksgiving is all the planned for leftovers :)

Brunch:
Maple Breakfast Sausages
Pumpkin Pie French Toast Bake
Apple Coffee Cake with Greek Yogurt and Candied Walnuts
serve with warmed Maple syrup
Coffee

Dinner Menu:
Cranberry Relish
Herb Roast Turkey
Butternut, Sausage with Apples and Cranberry
Pan Gravy
Garlic and Rosemary Mashed Potatoes
Bacon wrapped Veggie bundles (omit asparagus and sub in green beans)
Roasted Squash with Pear and Blue Cheese
Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Candied Pecans

Dessert:
New England Pumpkin Caramel Pudding (new recipe to try!)
GF Apple Pie
Gingersnap Cookies

Mulled Apple Cider
Tea

Table decor is ready, just need a new milk/cream and sugar bowl, some extra napkins.
If I feel extra creative I may remember to make pats of butter for brunch into leaf shapes!
Will pick up the straw bale next weekend and the mums for the porch.

All dishes are prepped two days or the day before Thanksgiving (depending on dish) and just baked its final stage on the day of. The turkey and wrapping the veggies for the bundles is the only thing I prep just before putting into the oven. Looking forward to trying the new pumpkin recipe!

The weekend before we will visit the apple orchard and pick apples for the pies, and to make both apple chips and apple sauce! I love the flavours and foods of fall; squashes, pears, apples, cinnamon and ginger!

Reactions: Minta

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
This sounds so good! The roasted squash with pear and bleu cheese is a new idea to me.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
HouseElf - I want to come to your place for Thanksgiving!

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Sounds great ... I am still working on my menu. Need to get a final head count before I can finalize it though.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
DH may miss Thanksgiving this year. I'll still do a turkey or chicken for the girls, but we'll keep it minimal. I was thinking this year we might celebrate the American Thanksgiving since we'll all be together then. I've been trying to figure out if there are any dishes that are particularly associated with the American celebration....things we don't usually have with ours.

So far, the only things I've come up with are green bean casserole and sweet potato pie :)

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
My mom, stepdad, an uncle and a cousin and his wife & kids will be coming to my house for Thanksgiving this year. I'm sure there will be more showing up. No bother. I'll have plenty.

I'm having the regular: turkey w/gravy, ham, candied yams, collard/kale greens, macaroni & cheese, potato salad and fresh baked rolls. There's also going to be sauerkraut (a family favorite), crab stuffing and barbecue ribs (my new favorite for Thanksgiving).

For dessert, I will make a couple of sweet potato pies and maybe an apple pie.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Sounds great! I'm thinking of not hosting Thanksgiving this year. I just have too much going on to even get it together. Last year I had the bronchitis so bad that I was off the whole week before the big day and did it anyhow. This year, I'll pass it on.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I would love to do Thanksgiving at our house. It's always been at my mom's. Last year, we ended up being the only ones who went to my mom's, if I remember correctly. I love my sister and her kids, but they are so unpredictable with the way they live their lives...we can plan and plan, and we never know if they will show up or not. It gets very frustrating to do all that and then only about 1/3 of the people you plan for show up. And we never know who Dnieces will show up with (their husband or a boyfriend because they've currently left their husbands). Very socially awkward. I've tried to talk my mom out of doing it, and I can't let her do it my herself (tried last year...just couldn't bring myself to not help) because she's 81 now and in good health, but I know she hurts with arthritis.
Well...a book...sorry.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Nice that you are there for her Missjane. I took over Thanksgiving a few years ago from my mom who took it over from my grandmother. I just wanted to give my mom a break. When she was still working (she retired last year) she worked long hours even bringing that stuff home. Plus she was involved heavily at church. She was overwhelmed and always tired. She eventually gave up some of the duties at church as well.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
We host Thanksgiving every year and each year the number of guests vary. I still have no idea how many we will have this year:

Breakfast:
Pumpkin Cinnamon rolls

Pepperoni bread for the guys/kids to take to the high school football game to snack on.

Thanksgiving dinner:
Turkey
Homemade stuffing
Mashed Potatoes
Candied Yams
Green bean casserole
Steamed broccoli
Corn
Turnips (only my mom and aunt eat these)
Rolls
Cranberry sauce - the canned version
Cranberry Relish - I want to try to make this

Dessert: Pumpkin Pie, Sweet Potato Pie & Apple Crumb Pie

Drinks:
Water
Juice
Soda
Coffee

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

Sugarplum

MHH Member
Jan 4, 2013
Florida
This year will only be me and DH. While I will miss a big crowd, or even just my 2 kids, sometimes it is nice not to have to go crazy getting the house and everything ready for one meal.

I'll do my regular menu, it just means we have lots of leftovers which is fine by me. I'm off on Friday and I decorate for Christmas that .weekend so a fridge full of food is great.

Minta-Making homemade cranberry sauce is simple and delicious! You can just use the recipe on the bag of fresh cranberries. Make it ahead of time so it has time for the flavors has meld. Lots of good recipes out there too, Martha Stewart, Williams-Sonoma. I split my homemade relish, half is orange flavored, half is spiced (clove, cinnamon). Always one of my favorite parts of the meal!!

angelpugs

MHH Member
Oct 2, 2009
north adams ma.
As i have Thanksgiving here and i have a gathering the night before and Thanksiving itself we use two tables and the top of my buffet.
We Have an assortment of baked goodies and platters of cheeses and crackers. Dinner-Turkey & stuffing White Potato's,Sweet Potato's Broccoli & Cheese,Beans,Peas Cranberry Sauce,Deviled eggs Pickles,olives Gravies,Homemade Biscuits Tossed Salad Cauliflower & Cheese,Applesauce Pies-Apple,Pumpkin,Chocolate cream A Crumb Apple pie which is a thick pie A Pumpkin Chiffon Pie and assorted breads,and Pumpkin Cake and an Applecider Cake.happy-thanksgiving-animated-gif-55.gif

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Happy Thanksgiving!!