thanksgiving 2018

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Wow - what stores are making you spend that much to get a free turkey? I think we are spoiled here! Local chain runs a deal where you spend $20 you get a free turkey - a smaller one - but free!

Meijer usually discounters the price of turkey per lb by 50% I think if you spend $20-$25 in groceries - maybe $40? I don't remember!

I'm on the hunt for turkeys for cheap! Co worker and I are organizing holiday giving again this year and there is a group of families (30!) that usually get Thanksgiving dinner via a church and for whatever reason that is not happening this year - so we're trying to figure out if we can get enough people at our work to donate the food.

30 turkeys is a lot! But they said they would take whatever we could give - doesn't have to be the whole shebang.

Reactions: Minta

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
You're very lucky! Martin & Giant offer this promotion. Last year the store didn't do this promotion and the turkey was on sale for .99 lb.

Our church does this too. The biggest problem is storing the frozen turkey donations until the Sunday before Thanksgiving when the food is delivered to the families since not everyone has the freezer space to store an extra turkey.

Reactions: Minta

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I have been wondering about frozen turkey storage too! I think I can squeeze 2 in among my various freezers but that would be it! I'd have to buy any others right before I dropped them off!

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
For those of you celebrating Thanksgiving next week, don't forget to take out your frozen turkey to thaw in the next few days. :)

Reactions: jampss and Minta

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
That is a GREAT deal, Myron's Mom!

I'll be starting my food prep for the few things I'm taking tomorrow night. Grocery shopping tonight - not a big list but I do need to go!

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Well as of yesterday we went from having 2 guests over for Thanksgiving to having 7 guests plus one of them staying with us for 5 days. Got to make a run to the store to pick up a few extra things but other then that we are all set :)

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Yeah, today I must shop for thanksgiving ...

Ham
Mashed taters
Broccoli casserole
Turkey, crockpot breast
Green bean casserole
Stuffing
Wild rice casserole - fake sausage, olives, feta, stringed butternut squash (DD26 vegetarian)
Cranberry Sauce
Cinnamon Roll Cake
Apple Crisp

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
have my groceries bought turkey is thrawing in the fridge i will make my side dishes to take to my daughters i work 10 -3 on thanksgiving its our busy day of the year .

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Grocery shopping done last night!

Got everything but pimentos - the shelf was picked CLEAN!!! Don't need those until next week though so not a tragedy!

I went ahead and made the cheesecake crust last night and have it in the spare fridge chilling. Also hard boiled the eggs, have them still in the shells covered in water in sealed containers in the fridge.

Getting excited!!!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
How was everyone's Thanksgiving???

It was a loooonggg day for me. Meijer at 6AM for the sales - then home to prep food while DH went to run a marathon. Then we got down to family at about noon. We were there until 5PM.

Food was great - wine was better :) And we had Coffee Martinis first - they were good but STRONG!

Time just flies so fast when we are down there!

Got home by 5:30PM and then I headed out to Walmart for their sale. That was just NUTS! Worst I've ever seen the crowding in the store! Got lucky and was able to check out quickly in electronics - of all places! - and bypassed the MASSIVE lines at the front of the store.

Then I went home and crashed - lol

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Coffee Martinis sound good.

Had our main Thanksgiving on Sunday. We figured out the meat thermometer wasn't working when cooking the prime rib. (will put that on my Christmas gift idea list) So it was overcooked for two of us but everyone else enjoyed it. Still have lots of leftovers that I'll freeze up later today. I think we'll have french dip sandwiches on the menu for a few times to use the leftovers.

I had invited the neighbor/LC1 over for dinner on Thanksgiving since her family wasn't doing one. Then her mom decided to have one at the last minute so LC1 had two thanksgiving dinners. lol

Since our dinners were what we generally serve on Christmas it was easier than doing Turkey. With the turkey recall Dh and I were not eating turkey this year. I'm not fond of turkey anyway so no great loss to me. I like my two leftover turkey recipes better than the roasted turkey.

We did get our Christmas photo done. Now I just need to print them and get Christmas cards ready.

Make sure to make notes on what worked and didn't work this Thanksgiving. It will help when you are planning next year.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Coffee martinis are new to me. I'll have to look into that!

Dh and the children were all home on Wednesday. :D Dh and I got the turkey started Wednesday morning. While that was cooking, I took the children to Old Navy to do shopping. When the turkey was done, dh carved it and I made the gravy and then boiled the bones for broth. I cut the dark meat into chunks for soup and froze it. The rest of the turkey went into the fridge for Thanksgiving dinner.

Thursday morning, we got up and read the paper. I finalized the shopping plan for Friday. Then started to get the meal put together. We had three guests for a total of 10 people. We ate at 4 pm and everyone left by 8 pm. We cleaned up the dishes and then went to bed. Dh had to work the next day and I went out shopping at 5 am.

It was a good day!

Reactions: AuntJamelle