Thanksgiving 2019

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I love all Fall decor but am ALWAYS on the hunt for something new for Thanksgiving - mostly because you don't find much of it. It is definitely the "forgotten" holiday when it comes to decor choices!!! At least that is how it has felt to me! Either there is nothing or I see the same types of things over and over again...

Will have to check out Cracker Barrell! Love their store always! Got some cute camping theme items from the line they had this summer! :)

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I love all Fall decor but am ALWAYS on the hunt for something new for Thanksgiving - mostly because you don't find much of it. It is definitely the "forgotten" holiday when it comes to decor choices!!! At least that is how it has felt to me! Either there is nothing or I see the same types of things over and over again... :)

I agree there is not as much stuff for Thanksgiving as there is for the other big holidays. I do tend to find more at the Christmas Tree Shoppes in the fall than the other stores.

angelpugs

MHH Member
Oct 2, 2009
north adams ma.
Enjoying fall here as we have thanksgiving things out but,not alot as right now it's more fall and christmas which thanksgiving here at my home is christmas as it's a tradition my mom started when i was small and now i carry that on as my birthday is Nov.4th so our home is all decked out in christmas so never had thanksgiving things.

Reactions: AuntJamelle

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I went into the Dollar Tree today looking for pumpkins. I had been there three weeks ago and picked some up then but needed more. It was interesting to see that there was a very small section on the wall for Fall/Thanksgiving/Thankful decor. All the pumpkins were gone. However, there were plenty of Halloween and Christmas decorations. Those two holidays have taken over the seasonal section of the store.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I was at Dollar Tree yesterday and picked up some Thanksgiving dinner napkins and some paper plates for dessert. I am ready to skip October and move right into November. lol

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Our Thanksgiving is October 14th, coming up soon! We have rented a cabin for the family (2,5 hours from here). We are now making plans for the meals and what to take. We will be celebrating my parent's 55th anniversary at the same time.

DawnSu

Premiere Member
Sep 8, 2008
Missouri
Its time for me to get to planning Thanksgiving. As I always start the 15th. So tmro my brain will b in full motion. The last 2 yrs my dd & grandbabies have been gone. So this is a special one to have all 3 grown children together. Am sooo ready for the plans to fall into place...
Other than decorating tho. I do have to get my spare room cleaned out from all the totes of too little things of my 6yr olds.. have intentions of that happening Saturday. Then menu planning, to grocery list, sleeping arrangements.
Ohhh the fun of holidays. Love it.
Have a good one to all

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Every year I tell people going to the dollar tree and places like that...waiting till October and November is too late. Those items go out early and people buy the good stuff early. With the youtube dollar tree hack videos, stuff flies off the shelf. Same thing with the Target dollar bins. I went yesterday finally because time allowed and it was all gone. My daughter and I help keep eyes open on that kind of stuff and snag what we want up early. Come Halloween Christmas is going up...and if you wait till Thanksgiving to buy anything Fall...you are BEYOND out of luck.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I've decided to host Thanksgiving this year. Since H is in college, he likes being home for the holidays. M and J also voted yes, so I'm doing it. My parents are coming. My brother and his gf and her son are invited, but I doubt they will attend. I'd like my in-laws to come, but mil generally refuses to leave home on holidays because she expects everyone to come to her. So...we will see.

I'm planning the usual foods....turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, cranberry sauce and rolls. I'm not sure of desserts....probably pumpkin pie and cheesecake.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I've decided to host Thanksgiving this year. Since H is in college, he likes being home for the holidays. M and J also voted yes, so I'm doing it. My parents are coming. My brother and his gf and her son are invited, but I doubt they will attend. I'd like my in-laws to come, but mil generally refuses to leave home on holidays because she expects everyone to come to her. So...we will see.

I'm planning the usual foods....turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, cranberry sauce and rolls. I'm not sure of desserts....probably pumpkin pie and cheesecake.

Menu sounds great. I need to start working on my guest list and menu as well.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I just saw a large aisle display of Thanksgiving themed paper goods at Walmart this weekend - they were very pretty!!!!

I pinged our family we visit for Thanksgiving every year to see what type of cheesecake they want me to bring - they said they are all good and to just pick one LOL

Need to finalize the other things I am bringing - probably Deviled Eggs and Shrimp Cocktail again. Thinking of trying a Brussels Sprouts side dish of some kind - I've pinned a few yummy looking ones!

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Oh my gosh, I guess I should start thinking about calling people to see if they want to stop by for dinner on Thanksgiving. So much is happening here that I forgot about the phone calls. :oops: Time to make the list...

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Lisa, it sounds like a lovely meal. You will have a wonderful day no matter who attends.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
It's been decided I will make Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Pecans and Gorgonzola :)

I'm going to take down Halloween decor today and put out things I have for Thanksgiving.

Also starting to keep a close eye on the GottaDeal website for BF ads - Kohls ad is out and I'm excited to go through it!!!

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
It's been decided I will make Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Pecans and Gorgonzola :)

I'm going to take down Halloween decor today and put out things I have for Thanksgiving.

Also starting to keep a close eye on the GottaDeal website for BF ads - Kohls ad is out and I'm excited to go through it!!!

Saw your screen name on GD and wonder if it was you LOL

We will be taking down our Halloween decorations tomorrow and put up the rest of the fall decorations and the Thanksgiving decorations.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I'm unsure of where we are doing Thanksgiving. Last year we shared the holiday with our friends at our house. They brought their favorites and I cooked all our traditional things. Now that we've moved to another area on island and i'm friends with their attached neighbor and have talked with her, it seems that she loves the holiday, it's her favorite, and would love to host. I told her have at it as long as we're invited. haha So i'm not exactly sure what the deal is going to be or how my family will feel about going there for Thanksgiving. If we do go, i'll still make our favorite homemade noodles to contribute and whatever else the hostess would request. I guess I need to start talking to her about it and see what is going to happen now that we are into November!

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Will be just the 2 of us at home this year for dinner. Husband asked if I would mind fixing a small dinner instead of going out. I’ll just get a turkey breast since neither one of us is madly in love with turkey. I have my pie crusts made already for the pumpkin pie. A nice bottle of wine, a fire and our traditional thanksgiving night movies (miracle on 34th street and home alone) suits me just fine.
I’ve already checked out the kohl’s ad lol!