thanksgiving 2021

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Cathymac2

Premiere Member
Aug 8, 2013
Arkansas
We had a really different Thanksgiving last year thanks to Covid, but it turned out great! Normally my mom hosts an extended family event that can be as many as 40+. Even without Covid it’s too much for her at her age even though it’s a potluck buffet.
Last year, we constructed a huge pavilion at our (very rural) farm. We all brought food and campers and generators for power, rode 4 wheelers and side by sides and had a blast. Everyone but us stayed the entire weekend. We had to come home because we were hosting the in-laws on Saturday and we didn’t own a camper.
I am hoping this year is the same but better!! We now own a camper and I am thinking we might have the in-laws come to the farm to celebrate. We’ll see!
Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday of all and I love planning it!!!!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
CathyMac2, sounds like a wonderful family time. Hope that you get to enjoy it again this year.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I just looked at the calendar and Thanksgiving this year falls on November 25th, just one month until Christmas. That will be another quick month!
Uh oh! I hadn't noticed that. Thanks for the wakeup call! I'm not a fan of the late Thanksgiving either. Stresses me out in December. I'll need to up my game earlier.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Our Thanksgiving is 1st weekend of October. Not really celebrated here but we do have a 3-day weekend. Have invited my family over for the weekend so need to start planning. want to make it as easy as possible so we can go outside (if not raining) and enjoy the Fall colors and temperatures

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Will be just the 2 of us here. I’ve been ok with that the last couple of years but today it made me pretty sad. Was missing my mom and dad. Actually missing everybody.
Anyways husband said all he wanted for thanksgiving was pumpkin pie. I could skip the turkey. So I think I might get some aged steaks and fix them on the grill. I won’t miss the turkey either. And I’ll make 2 pies lol.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Last year, we constructed a huge pavilion at our (very rural) farm. We all brought food and campers and generators for power, rode 4 wheelers and side by sides and had a blast. Everyone but us stayed the entire weekend. We had to come home because we were hosting the in-laws on Saturday and we didn’t own a camper. I am hoping this year is the same but better!! We now own a camper....
This sounds like a wonderful tradition! My immediate family is small so we don't have huge gatherings around here but my extended family is huge and on farms in the midwest. I loved going to visit as a kid because they'd have big gatherings like this. Such great memories! Maybe when my kids are older and they have kids of their own. :).

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
It's just the two of us here, but we still cook like we're having a houseful because well, we love the food! LOL The past couple of years I've been putting $5 a week in an envelope, beginning at the end of May, and by the middle of November I have $125 which is more than enough for us. Last year was the first year we decorated for Christmas over the weekend and I hope to do that again too. Late last year we became really good friends with another couple so I want to ask what they do for the holidays as they are here alone too, although they do have family on the west coast of Florida. It would be nice to spend a holiday together :)

Last edited:

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
I was thinking of Thanksgiving this morning.
My goal was to try different homemade rolls and go with one.

Was thinking Now is the time to start trying different recipes.

Like, Cathymac2- Thanksgiving has become my favorite holiday.

Annie

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Love Thanksgiving! This year will be a repeat of last with no guests or visiting for us, but that's okay! We will have the typical full turkey meal, a hike and take a family photo with our dog.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I'm not sure what I'm going to do about Thanksgiving this year. Early in August of last year, I made the decision not to host and contacted everyone. As it turned out my dd was in quarantine at our house until the day before Thanksgiving. This year we're all vaccinated but feel responsible for providing our guests a safe place to eat. I can't guarantee that. Maybe I should send out a COVID-19 waiver form for Thanksgiving Day dinner. :D;):D

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
I've decided now is the time to research and try different homemade roll recipes for Thanksgiving.

For the last several years, I want to make homemade rolls for T-day but I always wait until that week then I'm sitting there with several recipes and don't know where to start.

This year, I'm going to try a different recipe the weeks leading up to the holiday and then pick which one I'm going to go with.

Annie

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
I'm not sure what we will do. Last year, was just us three (DH, Me, DS) and DS slept all day! LOL I made turkey breast and a few sides.

This year .... we three still here. DD29 is in VT. My sister is an hour 1/2 away. She might come. My dad and stepma are south three hours. But those two sides don't speak (my sis has had no relationship with our dad since our parents divorced in ... 1977!) Sooooooooooooooooooo :rolleyes:

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Soooo for the first time in 16 years I'll be traveling for Thanksgiving. We're going to spend it with our oldest daughter who lives in Michigan and this ought to be interesting. She's my stepdaughter and did not grow up with me at all as a kid and they do things very differently than we do. Wayyyyyy, wayyyyy more laid back and not into holiday traditions at all and I'm the complete OPPOSITE!!! If 2020 taught me anything, it is to GO WITH THE FLOW. That's exactly what I'm going to do. I would never give up that control with Christmas, but I'm willing to travel there for Thanksgiving. They moved there just weeks prior to the shutdown in 2020, so this will be the first time we've visited them in their new home. They've only been here once since they've moved as well, so we defiantely need some time with our three granddaughters. They are 8, 6, and 4. I figure I'll take some of my my favorite recipes with me and just offer them up if needed. The only other thing I'm shooting for is to have their Christmas gifts purchased, so I can stick them in suitcases when we go to help with shipping. I just did the same thing when visiting my other daughter this past weekend.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Thanksgiving is done for us this year. the whole family came over (except one of my brothers because dnephew had 3 hockey games over the weekend, but dniece did come with my parents). they stayed 2 nights. was fun... but there were a few problems.... Saturday at supper sis got an allergic reaction (1st time) and her face blew up, she had to go spend the night at the hospital. They now have to figure out what she is allergic too. Sunday night dh got sick before supper and I got sick (probably gastro) all night Sunday.. did not feel well at all on Monday and Tuesday only worked half a day. Seems better today.
It was a nice time anyways.