Thanksgiving Decorations

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
We have great bundles at the local garden centers here - straw bales, corn bundle, mum and ornamental grasses/kale; usually by the third week in September. Makes an instant statement on the kitchen porch - and is great for the birds and your garden (straw makes a great mulch for tender perennials) the birds love the grass seeds and hanging the corn by the bird feeder gives them extra perch and cover in the bare winter. Add my pole scarecrow, an apple basket and wreath - done!

I am still on the lookout for the perfect 'horn of plenty' for our dining-room buffet. I like to fill it with leaves, corn, gourds and nuts. Will have to do an Etsy search soon.

Last season I found some great burlap type place-mats, need to work on the table settings as I think I am shy a few items - a few knives, glasses and bowls. I know I have linen napkins on my list :)

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Oh, Tam! That all sounds so lovely!

I've never been able to host a Thanksgiving dinner before and have always wanted to do it and include some of those little extra touches to the table, you know?

Never see straw bales around here - other than the little ones they want a crazy amount of $ for! :( Maybe I'm just looking the wrong places!

I've been working on building up my stock of Thanksgiving decor - which is very minimal currently. I often re-use Fall items again in November (having taken down during Halloween season).

Will post back later with some of my plans/craft projects I've lined up!

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
We also get hay bales from local farmers who sell them along with Corn stalks. Some places sell the corn stalks with the ears of corn still attached. We bought those once and ever since we make sure to buy the corn stalks without the ears of corn or we remove the corn otherwise the squirrels take over the corn stalks and then they don't look so pretty anymore LOL.

Once the halloween decorations come down we put up our inflatable Turkey, scarecrows that are decked out in pretty fall outfits.

I have a few fall/thanksgiving themed Candle holders and wooden turkeys that are used inside the house.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I don't have much in the way of Thanksgiving decorations, either. One thing I've found out for sure is that if you find some and want it, you better get it even if you have to pay full price for it. It doesn't stick around long!

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
I too don't have much as far as Thanksgiving decor is concerned. I just keep everything autumn themed. With that being said I do need to go to the stores and pick up a few things so that I can decorated at the end of this month.

If you have a Big Lots in your area, they have really nice fall, Halloween and Thanksgiving decor. Pieces you don't find in most stores. I love their fall decor.

Lolwlias

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cadyville, NY
I don't usually do too much for Halloween decor. With a little one in the house I should probably start.
Thanksgiving on the other hand......love my fall decorations!!!!!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I am trying to slowly build my stock of Thanksgiving themed decor. I have a couple of turkeys I really like - one is made from resin in natural colors - it's small - and has really long metal wire legs that end in a wooden base - it's classic/whimsical I guess!

I found a small tealight holder made completely out of a copper colored metal at a garage sale this year - it is also a turkey :) But it is really unique looking! I love it!

Other than that I have a small skinny wooden sign that says Happy Thanksgiving.

Oh! And I bought a small wicker cornucopia from Hobby Lobby this year that has some painted metal fall leaves in a pattern around the opening. I plan to put that up for Thanksgiving!

I just rarely see anything for sale in this category that really appeals to me. I think I have enough turkeys!

angelpugs

MHH Member
Oct 2, 2009
north adams ma.
Actually also going to make a New England Caramel Pumpkin Pudding,found it on pinterest but,a few people here make it all the time for their holidays so i'm going to myself.ad4674b078559d5839574bf7edbc8040.jpg

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
I kind of lump all my "fall decorating" together with the exception of a few specifically Thanksgiving items (turkey with dried flowers, pilgrim figures, wall hanging made by my DDs when they were quite young, and maybe a horn of plenty if I get it out). The rest consists of pumpkins, fall leaves, candles. I don't even get out much of the Thanksgiving décor unless we are having Thanksgiving here, and if it's just the two of us, maybe not even then. That's been the case over the last couple of years, but this year we may go to DD's in Nebraska for Thanksgiving. Yay!