Thanksgiving plans?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Lolwlias

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cadyville, NY
I haven't seen much yet about this year from anyone.
It is so close. Have you planned your menu? Will you be eating at home or somewhere else?
We will have dinner at my son's house. It will be their first Thanksgiving in their new home. It's larger than their last place, yet--smaller somehow. LOL The home is much larger, but a lot of the space is given to bedrooms, bathrooms & a super large laundry/furnace/storage room. The kitchen, dining, living rooms are open, but smaller.
I will bring a folding table to use. That should help.
My menu doesn't change. :)

angelpugs

MHH Member
Oct 2, 2009
north adams ma.
I'll be having dinner here with a few close friends and my son,we'll have turkey,stuffing,sweet potato's,white potato's,cranberry sauce,deviled eggs,broccoli & cauliflower with cheese,green beans,turnips,homemade biscuits,gravy,and for dessert pies,like apple,pumpkin,chocolate all homemade.:thanksgiving:

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
we have not decided yet. Last year we went to my parents. WE may again this year but I would like to stay home or have them up. Working retail it turns into a day trip and it's a lot of running for me. We will see.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I thought there was a thread up a while back about this, I posted in it, but it probably fell by the wayside. We aren't traveling so it will just be us here at home. I will extend an invitation to any single Drill Sergeants that DH works with, if he wants to do that or if he's not working himself, but I won't know that until right before the holiday.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Thanksgiving

We are home bodies for Thanksgiving. Sometimes my sis and niece come over but it depends on her schedule ... she's a nurse.

All the good food mentioned makes me hungry! It's 10:30 at night! LOL

We do most the traditional things and something vegetarian "meat" option for DD23.

snowlvr

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Western North Carolina
We live next door to my SIL who is single and we tag team Thanksgiving which works out great...She makes the turkey and stuffing, rolls, and sweet tea, and I make all the sides (mashed and sweet potatoes, broccoli casserole, green bean casserole, and pumpkin pie for dessert. She lives in the house her and my husband grew up in so we carry everything over there to eat. Then we come home and nap!

goodpace

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Elizabeth City, NC
We will be at home (hopefully together) even though my DH works/lives out of state.

My menu will change a bit this year since being diagnosed with T2 diabetes. Going to experiment with some recipes and see if I can come up with some no sugar/low carb-lo-fat alternate recipes that still taste decent enough for everyone!

We usually do turkey with stuffing, mashed potatoes + gravy, green beans with almonds, cranberry-orange relish, corn pudding, and either pumpkin or sweet potato pie.

Cathymac2

Premiere Member
Aug 8, 2013
Arkansas
We will have lunch at my Mom's house along with 60 of our closest relatives. And I'm not even kidding. We potluck the meal. My brothers usually have a ham and two or three turkey breasts smoked. Mom usually provides tea and coffee and everyone else brings everything else. I do the dressing, mashed potatoes, green beans, appetizers such as cranberry spread and BLT dip and a crockpot of warm spiced apple cider.

I think we'll host the inlays here on Friday night. Same basic menu just a much smaller crowd!

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
We will have lunch at my Mom's house along with 60 of our closest relatives. And I'm not even kidding.

BLT dip
Very cool and big! Mmmmmm that dip sounds interesting! May I ask how it's made?

conniemac

MHH Member
Oct 20, 2007
We will not be traveling this year nor will anyone be visiting us. It will just be the 4 of us celebrating Thanksgiving together. DH, DS19,DD18 and ME! I hate to cook so this year we are heading to Cracker Barrel and then home to watch football and study the Black Friday adds! I will have all my shopping done by then but my kids and DH love shop Black Friday. They always devise the best "divide and concur" schemes! LOL! I am looking forward to having 5 days off to just relax and enjoy the Holiday!

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
I hate to cook so this year we are heading to Cracker Barrel and then home to watch football and study the Black Friday adds!
The year we redid the flooring right before Thanksgiving ... we did Cracker Barrel ... YUM!

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL

Cathymac2

Premiere Member
Aug 8, 2013
Arkansas
BLT dip is super easy and super good!

Just blend together 1 cup mayonaise and 1 cup sour cream along with a well drained can of petit diced tomatoes and a jar of real bacon pieces. You can add in some garlic powder if you like. I serve it with crackers or tiny little rounds of baguette. Really good stuff!

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
My sister in law started hosting Thanksgiving a few years ago and as such I sort of "coast" on this holiday.....but I do have my Gratitude Brunch the Sunday after Thanksgiving so I have to get busy planning that....Its a Silve and Gold theme this year!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Snowlvr, sweet tea is not something that is really available in Australia but I tried it when I was in the U.S and I like it.
Could you please post how to make sweet tea?

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
BLT dip is super easy and super good!

Just blend together 1 cup mayonaise and 1 cup sour cream along with a well drained can of petit diced tomatoes and a jar of real bacon pieces. You can add in some garlic powder if you like. I serve it with crackers or tiny little rounds of baguette. Really good stuff!
Mmmmmmmm! Thanks!

DebbiGall

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Snowlvr, sweet tea is not something that is really available in Australia but I tried it when I was in the U.S and I like it.
Could you please post how to make sweet tea?

Brew about 6 teabgags in 1/2 gallon of water add 1 cup sugar add another 1/2 gallon cold water serve over ice, it's better cooled in the fridge for a couple of hours

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
i have to work. its cracker barrel busiers day of the year. my daughter and her boyfriend cook and we go there. I do take dessert . I cook Christmas for all

GrammaDeb

Premiere Member
Jan 4, 2014
Nevada
DH and I live with my mother. My sis & bil live next door and usually show up if they don't go to his family. They will be here this year. I found out tonight that my DD#1 & her family will be here. I just found out DD#3 & her family will be here too. I invited DS#1 & his family but they don't know yet. My low-key celebration just became complicated. We'll have turkey and ham, stuffing, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, green beans, cranberries, jello salad or a fruit salad, green salad, dinner rolls, and pies galore. We'll have chips, raw veggies, crackers, and dips before dinner. Guess who gets to do the cooking? Our menu never changes - it's tradition. I love having family gather, even though we'll miss DD#2 & DS#2 (they live hundreds of miles away).

Puternut

Premiere Member
Apr 25, 2013
FL. USA
In the morning watch the Macys parade, that evening off to the theater, where we will have a huge T-day buffet and see a good live show.