The Declutter Club

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

snowqueen

Premiere Member
Nov 1, 2007
Vermont
What a grand idea. I'm in on this one. DS and DIL just moved into a goreous victorian home and all of my grandmother's things that I hung onto for years are going there along with a few other items but I still need to get things out of here. We are planning a tag sale in the town where they moved because they have a town wide tag sale there so this will be a good thing. I have until spring to declutter and think about what I want to do.

Someone is always thinking on here. I love it.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Snowqueen.... you are so right! someone is ALWAYS having good ideas here at MHH (often it is Gingerbug).... and helping/inspiring the rest of us!

WOW! Your son and dil are moving into a wonderful victorian house? What a dream come true! and to think that you have saved family heirlooms (not unusual) that they can actually use (VERY unusual!!!).

Snowqueen....... So.... you will be preparing for a BIG yard sale in the spring. The most important question is: WHAT will happen to the things that that are NOT sold at the yard sale? Is there a truck that will pick everything up and take it to a charity? Or.... will you have to take it to the dump?

For me.... it is kind of a pain to store things for my weekly trip to drop them off at the Thrift Shop. I HAVE had frends who devoted an unused garage.... to storing things for a yard sale. Come to think of it.... I only remember them having ONE yard sale.......

Anyway... making cash is a very very good thing! So... I applaud yard sales!

So.... TODAY... I did some decluttering of my dishes and cooking pans. Setting things aside to bring to the Thrift Store. I put a nice stack of paper plates into my cabinet... on top of my regular dishes. My sink/dishwasher are not functioning right now. So.... I am washing dishes in the bathroom sink (!). And... paper plates look very good to me, right now. If you wash dishes as you use them... you need fewer dishes. (Remember... just dh and I are at home now. It is a VERY different ball game when there are children in the house.)

I transfer bags to the trunk of the car.... with my contributions to the Thrift Shop. It is a good way to get things OTD!!!!!!

festivefun

Retire Member
Feb 25, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
I love the sound of this Gingerbug. I'm not sure how much time I will be able to devote to it, but if I can join you in little burst sessions. My problem is, having just moved in, we don't have furniture/storage for all of our things, including clothes. So some stuff is still in boxes, so to avoid all of this becoming perpetual clutter I want it all sorted by August 2011, one year from moving in.

It's always so much more fun doing all of these things with friends :)

angelpugs

MHH Member
Oct 2, 2009
north adams ma.
I did this some time ago as i had so much just started sorting and throwing finally got it done now i keep watch to make sure this doesn't happen again.:fireplace:

snickerdoodle

Retire Member
Dec 31, 2009
I'm in for this as well. About 5 years ago I did a major declutter and every year since then I have gone through every drawer, closet and storage area we have throughout the year. Paperwork is always an issue and this could be the year I tackle the photos! I have them all in boxes so they look neat on the outside. Oh how deceiving that is. Inside they are an unorganized mess. This is a great addition to the boards!

goodelf

Retire Member
Dec 31, 2007
I really, really need to do this. Clutter is holding me back so badly and preventing me from doing many of the things I really want to in my life.
I have a room I want to turn into a craft room / study / guest room, but it's so full of stuff that it's hard to see how I can make it happen. I also need to clear out the garage, and - well everywhere!

I'm definitely in, and ready to start!

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Sparkle, i would suggest you take it to the thrift store as you go. That's what I do. I'm not sure if your lucky enough to live near by a donation center, but I pack up a box and put it in my car to drop off. I do keep track of my stuff for donation purposes, but you don't have to. If you have alot of stuff or don't have alot of room, i wouldn't save it for a garage sale. If it's sitting somewhere else, it's still clutter. Just bless the world and move on to another room.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
I do the same thing as MinnieCo- once I have a bag, it goes right away.
With me, if I don't do it that way- then I notice the dang bags sit and sit.

Annie

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
You guys inspire me! I am going to donate things at the Thrift Shop NOW!!!!

I LOVE our Declutter Club, don't you?

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I've literally given them car loads and car loads this year. Where it keeps coming from I don't know. But it keeps feeling back up!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
When I first began to declutter I kept a box in the dinning room. I tried to fill it with somethings every day. I told my family and friends when they stopped by to check if there was something they wanted because on every Friday the box went to the thrift store.

I also asked everyone if there was something they had given me that they would upset them if I gave it away to please let me know. That way if it was something I decided to declutter I gave it back to them. No hurt feelings that I took something they treasured to the thrift store.

It is so much fun to declutter and bless others with those items.

Merry

MHH Member
May 2, 2008
Count me in too! I just went through a summer of decluttering and it feels so good to have a little space. I think there is always more to declutter and keep up. Can't wait to get started!!!

Dakotasmamaw

Retire Member
My first declutter in January will be clothes ... MINE... I have TONS of clothes and they range in 3 different sizes.. Even if I do loose weight this year.. I want new stuff.. so that is what is convincing me to get rid of most of it.. the thing is I have some really good clothes for work.. so I will definitely offer them to friends and family first .. I love your idea ahorsesoul.. it will mean a little extra work on my side, but thats ok. I think I will have the box here first.. and then Friday mornings take it to work and then what ever is left on my way home , gets dropped off at Goodwill... Great ideas on here.. about decluttering.. Thanks Guys.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I'm in also. I am kind of on a time constraint with this because I want it done by the time DH comes home on R&R in April. But I think I can get the majority done. Right now, our bedroom is the major project. Next I would say is the storage room and then the garage.

I'm not saying I will work in that order but I would like to possibly have a yard sale in the Spring when our town does their Town Wide sale but we'll see, last year it was in May. I have a box of clothes and a small bag of toys sitting on my laundry porch that needs to go somewhere. The clothes were given to me by a friend (some of them anyway) so I wouldn't feel right selling them, but the toys are all ours so I might hold on to them. We'll see.

LadyEvenstar

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southeastern PA
Oh, boy, do I need this! I used to be on a good track with this back when I was a daily poster on the Organized Home boards but without that support daily life just kind of took over. Now I really want (and REALLY NEED) to get back on track.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
It is SO much easier.... and so much more fun..... to do this with our peeps here at MHH!!!! PLUS.... the good ideas help!

Saquilla

Retire Member
May 15, 2010
Perth, Australia
This sounds just like what I need!

I have a room... a spare room which I would love to turn in to a guest room. It is so cluttered up with boxes of DH's things, and bags of baby clothes etc that, I kid you not, I can only take one step in and then have to climb!!

Also, with my younger girl turning one soon (and heading in to toddler-dom) I'll have lots of baby things to clear out.

So... I'll have my work cut out for me :)