The Early Bird gets the Perfect Outfit

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
I don't know about your areas but here in my area the stores are clearancing out the summer clothing and accessories and bringing in the new fall and winter clothes. Every year I wait until the holidays are near only to be disappointed that all the new stuff is already sold out and picked over by September and October when we actually get our first cool snap.

Today I finally got the remaining accessories for my Christmas Day outfit. I started looking the minute I saw fall clothing hitting the stores. I know that wardrobe week isn't until the 6th week of the plan but if your area is like mine then you might want to rethink this portion of your plan as well. Now I need to get my Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve outfits pulled together. I also have one formal Christmas evening gown to pull together and my personal wardrobe is complete.

We're always so busy making sure that everything and everyone else is taken care of for the holidays that I end up putting myself last in the whole event. Not this year!

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
Yep, Im with you Ellen.

Its just that little bit early for me to organise yet but I always try to get it done as soon as the summer clothing is out. Our spring things are here but Im looking for more summer- a few more weeks!

Traditionally we have new outfits for:

Christmas Day- usually quite relaxed but still dressy. I often choose a dress. New outfit for both Luke and myself.
Santa Photo Day for Luke- new outfit for him. Often dress shorts and short sleeve collared shirt- Luke likes a preppy style look! I dont think Luke has ever worn a t-shirt unless its to sleep in- he likes a collar on his neck.
School Speech Night- new outfit for me. Luke wears his dress school uniform. This is quite a tricky outfit for me to shop for. Its not evening style, but not day style either.
Presentation Day at school for me. When I was teaching full time I always had a new outfit for this day. Its like academic award day. This year I will be involved as Im at the school one day a week. A dressy day dress in a business style. Its not vital to find anything as I already have lots of things I can wear but I always got something new for this day.

I will also need shoes for each outfit but will probably be fine for other accessories. I will pull some good jewellery out- I have lovely pearls that my Dad got for me to celebrate my divorce- I think Dad was happier than I was to be rid of my ex!

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
We live in such a small town that there is only one store with dresses. When they get them in, they usually only get one of my size in each dress. Since there are so many Christmas parties here, it's pretty much a case of being there the day the dresses arrive, or not getting one. Because of this, I've worn the same dress to DH's Christmas party for 11 years now. I'd love to get a new one, but with my big stomach I won't even be able to try them on. Chances are slim of getting to actually go to any of the parties this year though.

I would love to have something nice to wear on Christmas Day, so maybe I'll focus on finding a nice red sweater or something. I used to wear a nice red lace top and white shrug, and then people started pointing out that I was wearing it in every single Christmas photo every single year, lol

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
Frosty, Treat yourself! How about ordering from the net- lots of places here do free returns if the item is not suitable.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Frosty, Treat yourself! How about ordering from the net- lots of places here do free returns if the item is not suitable.

I may just have to do that. With a 2-month old I'm not sure I'll get to go to any of the parties this year, but I could at least to try to find something nice to wear on Christmas Day itself.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Yes, Frosty Shimmer, find something for you. I can not tell you how many times it is the day before Christmas and I realize that I have not gotten any thing for myself. For instance, I needed new stockings because mine had runs and holes in them. Another time I needed new shoes because the heal broke on one and I forgot. I really didn't have time to do the shopping then but I also had no choice. So I got stuck with whatever I could find. I just hate that feeling.

This year will be different. I'm going to make sure I take care of myself before Christmas Eve. I hope you do too.