The foods we eat.....

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

homemade4me

MHH Member
Jun 30, 2020
San Diego County
Many years ago I remember th
inking why would a grocery store sell food that was bad for us? I thought "how bad could it be?" That is when I started reading labels. So as the years went by I made homemade cookies and deserts to avoid the additives in boxes of any dessert . This week I watched a you tube video on the dangers of sugar, .very detailed .,.so now I am on a mission to cook and bake being mindful of sugar content....and more important look for recipes that don't use it.
Another video said sugar substitutes aren't that much better.
So if any one would like to join me on a journey to find find healthier recipes, maybe we could make it fun and be ready for holiday cooking and baking...? !
Laurie
Reason why....a little 4 year old girl.....

Last edited:

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Could you post the YouTube video you watched or the name of it. Thanks

Reactions: jampss

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
My husband is diabetic and has high blood pressure so I try watch the sugar and the sodium in my cooking. The problem with sugar and salt is that they are flavor enhancers. I have tried to decreased both to a minimum and still enjoy the things we like to eat.
You can pretty much decrease sugar in your baking by a 1/3 with out any major changes in the end product. Depending on the cake or cookie you can decrease even more. Pies are very forgiving in the sugar department. I would suggest just playing with your family favorites and see how they behave with decreases. We tried the sugar subs and didn’t like any of them, and for us personally, I’m not convinced that they are healthy for us.
I no longer have a garden but I do buy local produce to freeze. We love my frozen corn plain, but a can of low sodium or no salt canned corn- yuck!!!! I also make my own beef and chicken stock so I can control the salt content.
I will dig up the recipe I found for a low sugar freezer jam and post it. It’s basically fruit, minimum amount of sugar and some lemon juice. I made it according to the recipe last summer just to try. This summer I plan to decrease the sugar even more.
Keep us posted on your journey and your recipes.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
My father suffered from congestive heart disease and both he and my mom became obsessed with sodium content. Their diligence at reading labels and finding low-sodium recipes definitely extended his life. Dad's first by-pass surgery was a tripple at age 49, then both carotid arteries in his 50's, then a quadruple by-pass in his 60s, followed by a pacemaker-defibrulator implant. He lived to 83 (heart attack while in the hospital getting his pacemaker-defib battery replaced and recalibrated). I know this is an area I need to focus on, with my own health, given our family's heart history. Happy to share recipes I find (and get from my mom) that fit this journey.

homemade4me

MHH Member
Jun 30, 2020
San Diego County
My father suffered from congestive heart disease and both he and my mom became obsessed with sodium content. Their diligence at reading labels and finding low-sodium recipes definitely extended his life. Dad's first by-pass surgery was a tripple at age 49, then both carotid arteries in his 50's, then a quadruple by-pass in his 60s, followed by a pacemaker-defibrulator implant. He lived to 83 (heart attack while in the hospital getting his pacemaker-defib battery replaced and recalibrated). I know this is an area I need to focus on, with my own health, given our family's heart history. Happy to share recipes I find (and get from my mom) that fit this journey.
Thank you Lori, my Mom had that too, had a pacemaker and lived to 82.....I have often thought her shopping was a result of being born in 1922 and enjoying all these new wonderful processed foods that made life easier when she had a family.

homemade4me

MHH Member
Jun 30, 2020
San Diego County
My husband is diabetic and has high blood pressure so I try watch the sugar and the sodium in my cooking. The problem with sugar and salt is that they are flavor enhancers. I have tried to decreased both to a minimum and still enjoy the things we like to eat.
You can pretty much decrease sugar in your baking by a 1/3 with out any major changes in the end product. Depending on the cake or cookie you can decrease even more. Pies are very forgiving in the sugar department. I would suggest just playing with your family favorites and see how they behave with decreases. We tried the sugar subs and didn’t like any of them, and for us personally, I’m not convinced that they are healthy for us.
I no longer have a garden but I do buy local produce to freeze. We love my frozen corn plain, but a can of low sodium or no salt canned corn- yuck!!!! I also make my own beef and chicken stock so I can control the salt content.
I will dig up the recipe I found for a low sugar freezer jam and post it. It’s basically fruit, minimum amount of sugar and some lemon juice. I made it according to the recipe last summer just to try. This summer I plan to decrease the sugar even more.
Keep us posted on your journey and your recipes.
These are some great tips thank you !

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
I do need to learn how to post a video on here, but I did write it down to share because I thought it was that good and would want to share it...."the secrets of sugar....the fifth estate". It is labeled as a docuseries.
This one?

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I do need to learn how to post a video on here, but I did write it down to share because I thought it was that good and would want to share it...."the secrets of sugar....the fifth estate". It is labeled as a docuseries.
thank you! Off to watch

Reactions: homemade4me

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I can relate to much of what Myron's Mom posted. My daily cooking is very bland to most people. I use a lot of spices just not a lot of salt. My face and fingers swell if I eat salty foods and don't drink a ton of water the rest of the day.

For years now, I've been going for blood work and blood pressure checks every 6 months. I'm trying to stay off of medications as much as I can but I also know that no matter how much I watch my sugars/carbs for diabetes and stress/salt intake for hypertension, there are some things that are genetic.

I make my own seasonings (Taco, Ranch, Good Seasons, etc) and leave out the sugar. I lower the salt content or sometimes just don't add it in. I make tomato sauce from tomato paste. I don't add sugar. I use spices like oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, basil and parsely (salt and pepper to taste) when I'm short on time. If I have time, I like to add fresh garlic, grated carrot and sauteed onions for sweetness. However, with that said, I do keep a jar of tomato sauce on hand for an emergency dinner. It is going to be much cheaper and healthier than a drive-thru or take-out dinner.

If I don't have enough homemade beef/chicken broth, then I use the low sodium "Better Than Bouillon." It's a paste that you put into hot water. Even with that, I will use half the amount needed to cut back on sodium.

I stopped added cream and sugar in my coffee except on Sundays. I have made a simple syrup with a flavored extract and that will be my Sunday treat. The other days it's non-fat milk only. (About 4 times a year, I meet with someone at Dunkin' and get a coffee with cream and sugar and a donut. ;))

Ketchup and mustard have sugars in them. I don't use them enough to make my own but it's something to be aware of if you do.

I will eat oatmeal or chia/flax meal mix for breakfast on the weekdays. There is no sugar in them. I make it with water because I also have to watch my cholesterol. Most days, I will add carmamom or cinnamon. Other days, I need to change it up and I add a bit of homemade compote. Most of the time, though, I don't have the compote on hand so I use a bit of jam. If I add my non-fat milk later, I can taste the sweetness from the milk. On the weekends, I will have shredded wheat or bran flakes.

One of the things that I discovered about myself is that the all or nothing approach leads to failure and over doing the sugar and salt. After I get through my pity parties, I then embrace the new journey. If I don't buy the salty foods or sugary foods/drinks to begin with, then I am solving half the issue.

It's harder when I go out socially and food is what the event is based on. I have to think of a game plan before getting there. It might be eating a big healthy salad with a lot of water before I even leave my house. Now I'm filled and won't want to eat much. Or maybe it's saying to myself that I can try 5 salty appetizers and then stop there. Or I can offer to bring a healthy version of a side dish, appetizer or dessert. Then I know I can have that and not feel like I'm letting myself down.

Recipe sites I like to use:

Cookie and Kate
Eating Bird Food
The Mediterranean Dish
The Minimalist Baker

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I have lots of stomach problem and have started the low-fodmap protocol. For now I am in the elimination part that lasts from 4 to 8 weeks and then will see when I do the tests but I do know I react to onions and garlic (and their salt)... so that is complicated. but I am doing better. I have a great low-fodmap spaghetti sauce that is tasty now.

homemade4me

MHH Member
Jun 30, 2020
San Diego County
I can relate to much of what Myron's Mom posted. My daily cooking is very bland to most people. I use a lot of spices just not a lot of salt. My face and fingers swell if I eat salty foods and don't drink a ton of water the rest of the day.

For years now, I've been going for blood work and blood pressure checks every 6 months. I'm trying to stay off of medications as much as I can but I also know that no matter how much I watch my sugars/carbs for diabetes and stress/salt intake for hypertension, there are some things that are genetic.

I make my own seasonings (Taco, Ranch, Good Seasons, etc) and leave out the sugar. I lower the salt content or sometimes just don't add it in. I make tomato sauce from tomato paste. I don't add sugar. I use spices like oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, basil and parsely (salt and pepper to taste) when I'm short on time. If I have time, I like to add fresh garlic, grated carrot and sauteed onions for sweetness. However, with that said, I do keep a jar of tomato sauce on hand for an emergency dinner. It is going to be much cheaper and healthier than a drive-thru or take-out dinner.

If I don't have enough homemade beef/chicken broth, then I use the low sodium "Better Than Bouillon." It's a paste that you put into hot water. Even with that, I will use half the amount needed to cut back on sodium.

I stopped added cream and sugar in my coffee except on Sundays. I have made a simple syrup with a flavored extract and that will be my Sunday treat. The other days it's non-fat milk only. (About 4 times a year, I meet with someone at Dunkin' and get a coffee with cream and sugar and a donut. ;))

Ketchup and mustard have sugars in them. I don't use them enough to make my own but it's something to be aware of if you do.

I will eat oatmeal or chia/flax meal mix for breakfast on the weekdays. There is no sugar in them. I make it with water because I also have to watch my cholesterol. Most days, I will add carmamom or cinnamon. Other days, I need to change it up and I add a bit of homemade compote. Most of the time, though, I don't have the compote on hand so I use a bit of jam. If I add my non-fat milk later, I can taste the sweetness from the milk. On the weekends, I will have shredded wheat or bran flakes.

One of the things that I discovered about myself is that the all or nothing approach leads to failure and over doing the sugar and salt. After I get through my pity parties, I then embrace the new journey. If I don't buy the salty foods or sugary foods/drinks to begin with, then I am solving half the issue.

It's harder when I go out socially and food is what the event is based on. I have to think of a game plan before getting there. It might be eating a big healthy salad with a lot of water before I even leave my house. Now I'm filled and won't want to eat much. Or maybe it's saying to myself that I can try 5 salty appetizers and then stop there. Or I can offer to bring a healthy version of a side dish, appetizer or dessert. Then I know I can have that and not feel like I'm letting myself down.

Recipe sites I like to use:

Cookie and Kate
Eating Bird Food
The Mediterranean Dish
The Minimalist Baker
Great ideas I will start trying, sometimes I put dates in my overnight oatmeal , I better check their sugar content though....thanks for all of the above !

homemade4me

MHH Member
Jun 30, 2020
San Diego County
I have lots of stomach problem and have started the low-fodmap protocol. For now I am in the elimination part that lasts from 4 to 8 weeks and then will see when I do the tests but I do know I react to onions and garlic (and their salt)... so that is complicated. but I am doing better. I have a great low-fodmap spaghetti sauce that is tasty now.
...and that "I am doing better" helps us keep going !