The Holidays and Diets....

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

farmerswife

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Central Wisconsin
I was wondering if anyone else will be strategizing on how to make it through the Holiday seasons while still adhering to a diet plan or at the least not gaining weight.

I'm on a journey to loose 30 1bs, down 13 of them already but know that the cookies and cakes are going to be a big part of the holiday for me and I will need to have a plan, to enjoy but not sabotage my goals.

Any thoughts out there, how do you all do it?

~Farmerswife

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
During the holidays is not a time to lose weight BUT if the current weight can be maintained it is good!

I guess the usual applies, smaller portions. I know I do want to taste all holiday desserts but why not just a small portion to taste? Maybe more walks outside after the meals to help even things out. More water instead of more drinks. Eat more veggies (less dip!) and eat smaller meals more often.

Never go hungry to a party... why not a small soup before your leave? or a glass of tomato juice? or a yogourt?

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I know at thanksgiving I'll eat way too much pecan pie and at Christmas it will be the same. I just try not to over do it. I give myself permission to have some. So I can take half a piece of pie. It's really the first few bites that are the best. And I might have it before the meal. That way I fill up on food instead of wishing I had more of the goodies.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I have to second those said above. don't allow yourself to be deprived. If you want something, take a small serving, half a slice, a taste or two. If you go in saying you will not eat XYZ then when you do you will be upset at your self. Also Like Lucie said, have some sort of snack before you go. Drink extra water while you are eating to help fill you up.

farmerswife

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Central Wisconsin
Thanks everyone, they are all good ideas to put into my strategy for the upcoming holidays.

~ Farmerswife :)

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
I have lost 21 lbs so far, and plan on more before the holidays (need to lose another 30) - BUT do plan on having what I want on Thanksgiving Day, at Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and Christmas Brunch.

I think a key in longterm lifestyle changes is for 'treats' to truly be a 'treat'. The one piece of GF pumpkin pie with real whip cream I plan on eating at Thanksgiving will not break all the work I have done so far this year. :)

candysprinkles

Retire Member
Jan 29, 2011
Indiana
I am down 14 pounds since I joined TOPS this spring and I have a long way to goal. I set my goal between now and Christmas for 10 more pounds. So, I am hoping to lose a few before Christmas, but just to try to maintain for the during part. Then, to continue with the weight loss after New Years. Good plan...it is just the doing it part that is hard. lol I don't intend to do without...just to minimize the portions like others have said. Good luck to you all in your weight loss endeavors. We will probably need it.

farmerswife

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Central Wisconsin
HouseElf and Candysprinkles, Congratulations on your weight loss. I'm sure it feels great.

My plan of attack is very similar, I will try little amounts of what I truly don't want to do with out. Making sure that it is not everyday and only items that are truly special.

As the Director of Food Service there is always food all around me, but ........not all of it needs to be tested by me. :)

~ Farmerswife