Theme Trees

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Do you decorate your tree(s) in any specific themes? Here's a list of some I have used in the past.

1. Travel tree with little ornaments from different places we have traveled.

2. Wine tree with wine charms and corks

3. Kitchen tree...with tiny kitchen utensils

4. Gingerbread tree: with ginggerbread themed ornamaments

5. Victorian tree

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
Our large livingroom tree is a mish mash of things, but we also put up a small tree just for the boys in the family room. The themes (so-far) have ranged from Sesame Street, Cars, transformers and superheroes.

I also put up a 3ft tree in the diningroom that holds just my grandmother's Waterford ornaments and white lights. It's not a theme exactly, but it's very special.

I love the idea of a "wine" theme! I would never have thought of using wine charms!!! I have been saving the directions to make a tree out of wine corks for the last few years while I saved up the corks (you need at least 90!)...maybe this year I will actually MAKE it! If not, Martha has a pattern to make reindeer placecard holders out of corks. that would be MUCH easier! LOL!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Americana Tree: Celebrate a star spangled Christmas with an Americana tree

Santa Tree:

Winter Tree: snowmen and icy ornaments, mittens, gloves, and tiny scarves, snowflakes

Seaside Tree: Decorate your tree with little bits of sea side charm, shells, and other trinkets

Candy Tree: The candy garland out there is super cute and peppermint ornaments also are delightful

Sports Tree:

Angel Tree:

Teddybear Tree:

Rustic Tree:

Log Cabin Tree:

:tree2:

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
we only have one tree and as such it is a mish mash of everything over the years. The kids get a decoration every year and it is funny when we pull them out. It tells us what out kids where into in a particular year. This year found some tiny baby bootees belonging to the kids when they were babies so I am going to hang them from the tree this year.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
In the dining room turned game room that tree is all the boys' ornament that they get every year. The get ornament when we go on vacay or based on what they did that year.
When it was a dining room it was more formal w/ my antique ornaments and red and silver ornaments.

the living room tree is our version of the boys trees. Ornaments we have collected from trips and personal stuff all my life. I have an ornament from my frist Christmas.

I also used to have a snowman/flake tree but now it's just my snowman collection on the shelf.

In the kitchen is a white fiber optic in the retro gree, teal, blue. Just for fun. I would like more but that is all the rooms I have right now.

snickerdoodle

Retire Member
Dec 31, 2009
We don't have a themed tree either. I guess the closest we come is with the colors. Our main tree is done in white and gold ornaments with some solid red ornaments mixed in and white lights. Last year we put a small tree up in our basement family room. I used left over ornaments to decorate it but this year I'll have to consider using one of the great theme ideas listed here.

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
I decorate several trees with the prime focus being my snowflake tree. I also do a santa tree, a snowman tree, a wildlife tree, a tree with family ornaments on it and a tree with my White House ornament collection. I'm thinking maybe I have too many trees...nah!

ChristmasRose

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Almost at the end of my rope
Our main tree in the living room is a mish mash of ornaments that we've collected over the years. Every year is a trip down memory lane. I do a small sewing tree in my sewing room, I used to do a fruit tree in the kitchen, but last year I did a peppermint tree. When we lived in a Victorian house several years ago, I did a Victorian tree in the front hall. I do a bird tree on our sun porch. This week we started turning our dining room into a music room, so I'm looking forward to a music tree in there this year. I plan to make a shell tree (shell-covered cone) for our bathroom this year, too.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
These post make me feel so much better. Everyone thinks we're crazying for having 4 trees in our small home. But we have our family tree upstairs, a small tree in the dining room, my daughter has a Barbie tree in her room and our Disney tree is downstairs. To me, it all makes perfect sense!

ladybugsmom

Retire Member
Sep 18, 2008
massachusetts
For any of you that are doing a kitchen theme tree:

Jo-Ann Fabrics has small, wooden rolling pins in their Dollar Section. I bought three the other day, and am planning to paint the handles red. Not sure if DH will drill a small hole in them for hanging, or if I will tie ribbon on them. My plan is to encorporate them, along with some tiny tin muffin tins from an old toy kitchen set, into a garland to put on my kitchen hutch.

Hope this helps someone out!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Thanks for the tip Ladybugsmom. I want to do a kitchen tree ...we don't have a Jo-Ann's but I'll look for mini rolling pins at the dollar store.

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Minnieco - Of course it all makes perfect sense to me! My all time high was 7 trees (not all big) in a two bedroom/two bathroom apartment. People thought I was nuts too. But you and I know they truth - those other folks are multi-treeless!

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Multi Treeless..I love it!!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I would so love to have more trees in my home but it is just to small. To make up for it though my main tree is a monster. It is 7 foot tall and reaches right to the very ceiling. It is so round that we have to move some furniture out of the loungeroom. LOL. Last year our dog was having a sleep under the tree and we did not know that she was there.

I do love my tree.

:tree:

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
I would so love to have more trees in my home but it is just to small. To make up for it though my main tree is a monster.

Katrina - I love the description of your tree! I literally laughed out loud at the thought of you losing your dog under the tree! Maybe one day you can share a picture!!

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I have one like that two and it's a HANDFUL to decorate. I'm thinking of leaving the bottom 3rd off this year...Seriously!! But I told my friend it looks like a tree on a popsicle stick, but she insist my tree is the only tree that goes to the floor. So much that you can't get any gifts under it.

sassygirlsmom

Retire Member
May 22, 2010
We have our main tree in all red, lime green, and silver in the living room. I also have set of nutcracker ornaments that I put on a small tree in the same room. My daughter has a pink girly tree in her room with swirls and crowns and sparkles. There is a 3 foot tree with our 'family' ornaments including the ones the girls get every year and our travel ornaments. And this year I am going to add a Razorback tree! Thats the University of Arkansas mascot for those of you who don't know.

A friend of mine has seven trees and last year her new one was one dedicated totally to Jesus. I didn't get to see it but she has awesome taste so I know it was beautiful.

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
I LOVE the idea of a tree dedicated just to Jesus. I want to do one now...such a beautiful idea...I might have to may it a smaller one though and maybe it can be on the table where the nativity set is displayed.

alisonmcg

Retire Member
May 2, 2008
Reading about the dog getting lost under the tree reminded me of a few years ago when we couldn't find our dog Ben. We looked all over the house and were worried that he had somehow managed to get outside. Then I realised my other dog,Polly(we have four CKC) kept trying to crawl under the tree. There sitting to the back of the tree,completely covered by branches,was Ben! He had got under the tree and couldn't get out again! I must admit it was funny but I don't think he was too impressed. That tree is seven feet tall and very wide but I love it! It's decorated with ornaments from past vacations,things DD10 has made in school since preschool and ornaments bought since DH's and I first Christmas together. I have a food themed tree in the kitchen,DD10 has her own tree in her room which has girly ornaments and I have a tree in the porch. I also have two Advent trees. Wish I had room for more:)