Things to check in the New Year (2024)

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Thought I'd start a reminder of things to watch for / check in 2024, as related to Budgets and Bargains.

As many of you know, my DM has mild dementia that is progressing, more quickly than in the past. Although we're not yet at the point where we will need to execute Powers of Attorney, as her designated Financial Power of Attorney, she put me on her accounts, so I can handle her finances and may necessary transfers and payments. Today, I paid one of her remaining credit card bills, so I'm sharing this information as a reminder to check your statements carefully.

Kohl's is THE remaining department store in the area where my DM lives. It's where she gets most of her clothes and bed and bath linens. Over Thanksgiving, when she stayed with me for a few days, whe shopped at my Kohl's location and she got a new winter coat and a couple of clothing items. When I visited her yesterday, she gave me her statement and asked me to pay the bill. I about choked when I saw that they are charging her a 31.25% interest rate.

So, as a reminder, check all of your credit card statements in the New Year. First, check for errors in your statement, in case there were any unauthorized purchases. And, second, take a look at the interest rate. It may help you decide how much to pay, if not to pay it in full to avoid those outrageous interest charges.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I would like to look at all my regular bills this year and next to make sure that we are paying the best prices. Insurance is a big one with us and I would like to whittle it down if I can.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Kohls is pretty much the only place in town other than Walmart. Our Walmarts are trashy so I avoid going in. We keep our cards paid off each month so it’s not an issue but it’s still good to know.
I’m going to double check all of mine, even tho I keep them paid off each month. Wouldn’t want that accumulation if I got caught in an emergency.