thinking of changing plans

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

teachturnedmom

Retire Member
Oct 21, 2007
SE PA
Every year, we go to dinner at my aunt's and then stop at DH's aunt's for dessert on our way home. Well, this year we are seriously considering just going down to the shore house(just the 4 of us) I'm worried I may miss the traditional, but it was my idea. I'm pregnant, moody, and wouldn't mind a nice quiet weekend with just my fam. I started working Part-time as a favor for a teacher friend, and have missed the extra time that I've always had with the fam. So, now I'm thinking, maybe we could go down the shore, watch the parade, lounge around, and maybe go out to dinner. I was thinking maybe Cracker Barrell, if they're open. I'm not really sure...Has anyone else ever skipped the traditional? Has anyone eaten at a restaurant? I'm curious to see other input from holiday junkies like myself... :friendly:

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
We've never done that, but I have to tell you at this point that sounds pretty good. I think it's a great idea, especially with you being pregnant and overworked anyway! Maybe you could make a pie or other favorite dessert to take with you to have after you eat out. If you don't like the way it goes, you don't have to do it next year! I've had Cracker Barrel's turkey and dressing and it's good. Of course, their apple dumplings would make a pretty good Thanksgiving dessert! LOL!! Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
We've gone out to eat for Thanksgiving before. It was a huge blessing! The two years after my Mom passed away, everyone knew there was no way they could 'do' Thanksgiving like her. Everyone would be comparing the food to Mom's, and we'd all end up weepy, etc. So we went to a nice hotel's Holiday buffet dinner. We could all dress up, no preparation stress, messy kitchen, etc.

However, the down side is, NO LEFTOVERS. I ended up roasting a small turkey a day or two after just for the sandwiches!

I agree with Cathymac -- if you want something home made, make a pie or dessert to share later as a family. And if going out to eat just doesn't feel right, you don't have to do it next year. Sometimes a break from the traditional can help you appreciate traditions a little more.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Yes, go! You need the break. It might be that start of a new family tradition!

When we lived in NC, we went out to K&W cafeteria for Thanksgiving. It had everything and more than I would have made with a lot less stress and mess.

teachturnedmom

Retire Member
Oct 21, 2007
SE PA
Well, we've broken the news to the fam that we're going. I'll let you know how it goes. DH called Cracker Barrel and they said they have a great THanksgiving dinner, so we'll see. :turkey:

LadyEvenstar

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southeastern PA
We go out to dinner every year with my DH's family and it is so relaxed and wonderful! At first I thought I would miss the traditional large in-home gathering my family alway has but that's never been the case. it's so wonderful to have a realaxing cocktail before dinner (non-alcoholic of course when I was expecting ;) ) and then sit down together all at the same time with no one rushing around to get things on the table and no one burdened by a mountain of dishes afterward.

My MIL just called me yesterday with this year's menu for our usual restaurant and I could just feel stress melting away! You'll love a peaceful dinner out with your family and there's no reason why you can't go back to your usual next year if you miss it this year.

I always say ONE day I will get there BUT somehow I don't really see it. We have such a large family here in Florida that the holidays will always be a production. Maybe when the cousins start getting older and married off it will ease up BUT at this rate they are all going to be single forever...lol My sister right now is the only one married and I have been divorced. Three others have kids but NEVER married. So like I said not sure if it will ever happen soon.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
When I was expecting my first (difficult), we stayed home and did a very quiet celebration, it was nice! "Skipping" doesn't mean forever, just this time .
Enjoy how you wish, find the balance you need. Good luck!

purplecrush

Premiere Member
One year my whole family went out to dinner on Thanksgiving..and we all found it depressing LOL no leftovers, no nothing..so we went home and made an entire Thanksgiving dinner and had Thanksgiving 2 days in a row. We will never go out to eat again. Its not for us...but thats just us.

Some people LOVE it! Just do what you want to do. Others will understand :)

What you have planned sounds relaxing..go for it and have fun!

:friendly:

txgal

Retire Member
Nov 11, 2007
Texas
A couple of years ago we stayed home for Thanksgiving. It was just after Hurricane Rita and the last of our 9 family members who evacuated to our house had returned home. We went to the parade in Houston and then returned home to a non-traditional dinner. I found it very relaxing and wouldn't mind doing that each year. Last year, my grandmother passed away just a few weeks before Thanksgiving and none of us really felt like celebrating, so my parents went to my sister's house, and we stayed home.

This year we are all getting together again at my parents and will be going to visit DH's family Thursday late afternoon.