This year colors

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

farmerswife

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Central Wisconsin
I just started pinning ideas for this years Christmas and was wondering what color schemes people will be using this year. I need some inspiration!!!!

~Farmerswife

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Has anyone looked at Hobby Lobby? They are starting to put out Christmas decorations. So far, I've seen traditional colors and bright pea**** colors, very vibrant, which aren't to my liking. I'm thinking it's going to be traditional colors at our house this year. I'm thinking of wrapping in kraft paper, since I can get it early, and use colorful bows for my color. Those were the colors I was planning before all my paper was ruined. I wanted a woodsy look I may poke around in the attic next week to see how many decorations in traditional colors I have. After all, we do have a few more days in July left!

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
When our Sears closes in Mt. Vernon HL is coming in. Will be 20 minutes away in the town that Allen works at and where we grocery shop at. :) :) Other HL is about 50 minutes away!

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I don't really have set colors mostly traditional I guess. They stay the same every year

farmerswife

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Central Wisconsin
Thanks, everyone! I think I'll take a meander over to Hobby lobby and see what colors they have out for this year.
~ Farmerswife

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
I have a few themes and traditional mismatch downstairs that I pull from.

I think this year I will do golds and merlot... Leaning towards the 12 days of Christmas theme.

farmerswife

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Central Wisconsin
Thanks HousElf, I think I will ponder the theme idea a little more as that should lead me to a color scheme. Great Idea!!!!!
~Farmerswife

Puternut

Premiere Member
Apr 25, 2013
FL. USA
My interior color scheme will always go with my interior colors which are pastels, so pink/mauve/teal blue or other blues & white. Outside is all white, with colors only in lawn decor nativity etc. Did the traditional reds, greens or gold/silver & white years ago but no more.

dreamto

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
I do mostly Gold and Burgundy. My bathroom is snowman themed and in my dining room I do white and silver with a little blue accents thrown in in honor of my Mom who loved to do silver and blue :)

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Bonnie, I have a friend who does silver and blue and it always looks so elegant.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Such a variety of color schemes - but they can all be so pretty!

It makes it hard to choose!!! Since we are "starting over" with the new house this year - and since I have no idea yet how close to Christmas it will be when we move back in...I am keeping decor plans this year very simple.

But I have decided on a general color scheme - greens, white, copper - dashes of deep chocolate brown - as in satin ribbon - might appear as well... burlap too!

Being honest with myself, we may just manage to get a tree up this year. But I'm hoping to be able to do a bit more than that! I can't help it!!!

But I'm dreaming of very simple, natural and subtle things...

http://pinterest.com/pin/190769734186590898/

http://pinterest.com/pin/190769734186536070/

http://pinterest.com/pin/190769734188633205/

http://pinterest.com/pin/190769734188639467/

http://pinterest.com/pin/190769734188752523/

farmerswife

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Central Wisconsin
Aunt Jamelle,

I'm loving the green, white, copper and dashes of dark brown. My new favorite color combo is green and brown, it sounds dull, oh but so pretty when it's the right shades. I may just do this! Thanks.
~ Laurie

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Our tree as such does not have a theme, it is a mash up of many years of ornaments, although I favor the country type decorations.
Our mantle last year was lime and red and it looked great, this year I do not have a mantle so i am not sure what to do.
Last year and again this year our table will be set with a combination of Tiffany blue, white and silver. Very pretty.

Cathymac2

Premiere Member
Aug 8, 2013
Arkansas
I'm thinking about using kraft paper again this year too. I also like white or red solid paper and then use satin ribbon in red or green. I have about 6 rolls of tartin plaid left over-red, green blue and white. i think that will look good with the kraft paper. I also have a ton of burlap ribbon left from weddings. I'll probably use that some too.

I think I'm sticking with my traditional red, brown and gold (color not metallic) with some blues and sagey green thrown in. I really love the Tiffany blue and red together and might do that in my kitchen.

Last edited:

Peacefulhome

Retire Member
Aug 4, 2013
Traditional here. We enjoy decorating the tree with ornaments dating back to when we were first married and through our two sons childhood. It's like bumping into old friends. This year I'm also adding a lighted white gingerbread house and gingerbread people to the fireplace mantle. In fact, the gingerbread house is on the mantle now since it arrived about a week ago.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I noticed the Pea****s at Hobby Lobby too. I'm not a huge fan normally, but they had a tree topper that was GORGEOUS!!! I also had to laugh when I noticed the florescent colored bulb pack. Sure enough..pink, green, yellow and orange. And I mean 80's FLORESCENT.

I'm going to add a little more purple to my family tree this year I think. I've had purple lights, but I think I'm actually going to throw in some purple bulbs too.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Farmerswife I agree. Those colors are so pretty.

As for me I kind of tend to stick to traditional colors. However this year I purchased some green (sort of muted apple green if you can picture that) ornaments for my main tree this year. I also have a few themes that I do like gingerbread in the kitchen and poinsettia in the bathroom. This year I really want to do my bathroom another color/theme. I've found so many great ideas on Pinterest but it's hard to choose one. I had better make a decision by November LOL. I plan to have my tree up on Black Friday.