Tip Top Tip for Today, Wednesday, July 7

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
In today's fast paced world it's amazing what you can learn if you take the time to listen and observe what is going on around you. Take the example below...

********************************************************************************************
July 7, 2010

Today's tip comes from Pam Spaur

Pam writes:

I listen to people all year long to get clues as to something he or she wants or likes. This way, I can narrow the gift down to something the recipient will really want. For instance, I know my boss loves the Colts, so I always try to get him something that is Colts related. With kids, they change their minds every five minutes, but if you listen, you can often follow a thread of their thoughts and get some ideas. And I do know that kids LOVE to open presents. I like the Victorian philosophy: something they want, something to read, something to wear, something they need.

While listening is good, so is planning. That is why I carry my little Christmas notebook with me. I jot down suggestions, sizes, etc. so I can pick up gifts when I see them.

Which leads me to another tip: DON'T SPEND MORE THAN YOU CAN AFFORD!

********************************************************************************************

Thanks, Pam! I practiced this tip (since I had early access to them!) just a few weeks ago and discovered my MIL wanted a composter. We gave her one for her birthday and she was amazed that anyone knew that is what she wanted. It came together all because she made a comment in passing and I listened. It works! Pam, your name has been tossed into my magic hat for the random drawing later this month. Good luck!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Pam that is a great tip.

I do apply to the kids the 1 thing to wear, 1 thing to read, 1 thing they want & 1 thing they need.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I think this is the most important tip in gift giving.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
This IS a wonderful tip! It is SO MUCH BETTER to receive something that you want -- rather than a much more expensive gift which is really nothing you want/need! Don't we all love to think that someone cares enough about us to remember what we like.

orangesforadam

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Isn't it fun when you can surprise someone with something they want? I love the Victorian philosophy and will do my best to shop by it!

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I've tried to get my DH to do this with me but he never does. I always "listen" to family and the kids and could have a million ideas by Christmas if I chose to write everything down. I also carry a notebook. hehe

charscorner

Retire Member
Jan 7, 2010
Pam's tip about listening for needs or wants really works. For me the greatest memory of paying attention was when my youngest Navy son was deployed to Iraq in 2005. In an email he mentioned working out at the fitness center including rope jumping so I sent him his own jumprope found at Dollar Tree in his next Care Package. He was amazed and thrilled that I could think of such a thing and was especially pleased that it had swivel handles that made use so much easier. When I cut and pasted his prior message that clued me in he never realized what he had done.

I also try to apply the listening for clues to my guys' Christmas gifts. It makes shopping easier and everyone happier.

Charlotte

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Charlotte - What a great example! Thanks!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Charscorner -- your post touched my heart...... and made me stop and say a prayer of gratitude for you and your family. Thank you for being in our lives.

charscorner

Retire Member
Jan 7, 2010
Thanks, Sparklenana. Appreciation by others and prayers are so important and heartwarming for military families.

I am proud to have been a double Navy mom but oh, so happy that both are now veterans. That is so much easier on this mama. My experience is why I very much appreciate and feel for Jessica and other spouses who have posted on the forum.

Charlotte

Last edited:

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
My daughters birthday is in March and with Christmas being so close, she tends to get alot of gifts all in a matter of 3 months. So I do "listen" all throughout the year and I always get her the gifts she's forgotten she'd asked for. Not the last minute gift list at Christmas, but different things mentioned througout the year. Then I distribute her most recent list to friends and family that ask for gift ideas.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
I agree Pam! My family knows that they should be careful what they say around me...I've been known to write down their "suggestions" all year long, too!