Traditions...

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Little Elf

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I was working on my Christmas notebook as well as working on my family tree one day not long ago. I had discovered my descendants come from. I found I had ancestors from Germany, Czechoslovakia, Ireland, French and quite a bit from Scotland. Now...I have a few generations at least that have been living here in Canada and began to wonder if my family had passed down any Christmas traditions from those countries (where the traditions originated from). Has anyone discovered what traditions they do and where they originated from? Care to share? :flower:
I have put a section in my Christmas notebook, traditions that my family do every year, new ones that I have started and then each country that I have descendants in and look for what traditions they possibly did back then. Perhaps there might be a new tradition or two that I discover that I might like to incorporate in my own traditions.

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
My grandfather had always kept one tradition that his parents did with him,and sibling's. On St. Nickolas day they were always given a brand new nickel. His children always found a brand new nickel also. With us grandchildren we were alway's given a silver dollar on the day, and has continued with his great grandchildren. He is now living with my aunt 3000 miles away but last year there were envolopes addressed to all the kids in the mailbox from St. Nickolas with thier gold dollars in them. It will be a tradition that I keep with my kids once my gramps is gone.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
KimD,
What a wonderful tradition that has made some great memories and future memories.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
We have the tradition that whoever found the first threeepence piece in the christmas pudding had to do the washing up. My poor father found it nearly every year and would hide it under his tongue until someone else found one. He always helped with the dishes anyway, before falling asleep on the couch.