Travel/vacation crafts?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

creativemom

Retire Member
Jan 9, 2008
I LOVE vacations and crafting. So far I'm working on notebooks for planning our vacations. After each vacation I make a scrapbook. We also stop at craft stores and I pick up things like Beads from a local place and create a bracelet to remind me of our travels. I want to do more to make the magic last... What do you suggest?

CanadianJingles

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
I like to bring something home from our vacations to decorate in my house. I have a poster I framed from the San Jose Museum of Art and a pair of metal geckos from our honeymoon.

You could do a photo collage for your wall or buy a mug/glass/platter on your vacation to paint with images that would remind you of that place. You could date them with the location and dates you went. :)

This is not a craft....but every new place I go, I pick up a nice looking rock and take it home to my outdoor tabletop fountain. I put a number on the bottom of the rock with paint that does not come off in water. I have a paper that I keep in a safe place with each number and where we were. That way I have a little piece of vacation in my fountain.

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
We've started keeping a little glass bottle full of sand from the different waterside places we've visited! We dry out the sand on a cookie sheet, but I don't wash it. It's neat to see the variance in the colors/texture of the sand from different beaches! If it's a craft you're looking for, I know that some people use the sand to make sand pictures or layer the sands in a larger jar.

Pressing flowers or leaves is another idea, depending on the season, I guess. You could use these in lots of ways -- making cards, sandwiching them between two pieces of glass, framing them.

Of course, we also look for an ornament for our Christmas tree that depicts the place some how! ::eek:rnament:

My DKs ask traveling friends to send us postcards of places they visit, and we put them all in a post card album.