Trick r Treat...Countdown to Halloween 2020

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I love Halloween!

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Halloween or Harvest, whichever is your choice, it's autumn, Pumpkin Spice Latte season, and all the glorious colors.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Halloween or Harvest, whichever is your choice, it's autumn, Pumpkin Spice Latte season, and all the glorious colors.
Beautiful, I am imagining it as I type.

Reactions: PamelaG

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I am so sad...we have decided to skip booking Halloween campsites (window opens in April) due to 1) fear that DH may be laid off 2) the info that keeps popping up on an expected resurgence of COVID in the fall

It's hard to get excited and plan right now.

But looking a beautiful pictures of fall definitely helps keep me calm. I should pick out a autumn themed craft project to do...

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I need to work out a patten for a lion mane for Eva. She should start wearing it soon to get use to it. I will need to find a whip for my Lion Tamer costume. I think DD might be her monkey. Now if I can convince Dh to be something from the circus to round it out. Boots I could put in a wire dog cage to be the black panther.

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
yes halloween coundown something to look forward to . things have to be better by then

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Does anyone think trick-or-treating might be cancelled this year? Everything I'm hearing is saying there will be a resurrgence in the fall. I feel bad for the little ones. As they didn't get to see the Easter bunny this year I wonder if we are looking ahead to a year without trick-or-treating or sitting on Santa's lap.

As it is I remember my Nanny telling me about what fun times they had with Halloween when she was a kid. "None of this trick-or-treating nonsense," she'd say dismissively. "We really knew how to have a good time back then. I'm so glad to have been born when I was. Kids today don't know what they're missing." She'd tell me how they all had big parties and taffy pulls and all the kids would run outside and there'd be firecrackers down by the lake etc. I'm thinking of compiling a little binder of alternate Halloween activities to make it a really fun time for the girls in case trick-or-treating isn't an option. And if it is.....well then I guess I'll just have a whole bunch of planned activities we can do leading up to Halloween.

GrammaDeb

Premiere Member
Jan 4, 2014
Nevada
Oh dear. I hadn't thought of it maybe being cancelled. My kids go all out on decorations, costumes and especially makeup & prosthetics. A Fall/Halloween craft sounds like fun. I'll have to check out Herrschners & Mary Maxim for a kit.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I love the door to the holiday season that Halloween opens.

I'm thinking large trick or treat celebrations will be cancelled, too. The parish seat here has a big downtown event for children with hundreds of people. I bet they don't get to do it. :(

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
We don't do Halloween here but I have a suspicion that things will still be pretty locked down by October. Fingers crossed that things have improved by then.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Gosh, I hadn't thought it would be cancelled but there are some good points here. My dd was to be ZaZu in her school's play of Lion King Jr. My mom and I made her costume. We decided that she could wear it for Halloween. She'll be so disappointed if the trick or treating gets cancelled. I guess I'll start to file away ideas for Halloween now too.

GrammaDeb

Premiere Member
Jan 4, 2014
Nevada
I talked to dd about Halloween. The kids will be 14, too old to Trick or Treat, really. Dd said they would still decorate, and she loves the idea of painting those tiny pumpkins (with acrylics), making popcorn balls, and having a taffy pull. (She remembers having a family taffy pull when she was about 7, and all the kids loved it)

I didn't see any crafty things from Mary Maxim that interest me, but I downloaded 2 patterns from Herrschners. As soon as the Halloween jigsaw puzzles are available, I will definitely order 1 or 2.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Our kids are older and would not be trick or treating however they do enjoy walking their younger cousins around our neighborhood. I hope it does not get cancelled. We will still decorate the outside of the house for Halloween and I will still buy candy. If nothing else I will make up goodie bags to deliver to some of the kids we know.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
I wonder if trick or treat via car would be an option? With all of the drive-by birthday and most likely graduation celebrations, this could be something that wouldn't be too difficult to organize.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I wonder if trick or treat via car would be an option? With all of the drive-by birthday and most likely graduation celebrations, this could be something that wouldn't be too difficult to organize.

That's an interesting idea that could work out in the less crowded areas. The drive bys, while nice, are hard to do in our town. It's one way streets with on street residential parking. You have to keep moving and hope that the birthday recipient recognizes the car and driver.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I've been thinking a lot about trick or treating being cancelled and I have a feeling it is a real possibility unfortunately. They are saying that the social distancing could be with us for quite some time even if things start to open back up. Hordes of children running around door to door asking for candy isn't really social distancing. However, they should be back to school by then so who knows. I think having a binder of alternate activities is a fantastic idea FS!! Would you share what you come up with? I know your children are much smaller than mine but maybe if we all share our ideas we can all have something that can interest different age groups.

We will still decorate no matter what. People could still walk or drive by and see the decorations. People could also still dress up and sit on their porches and families could walk or drive by (social distanced of course) to see the costumes, kind of like a parade and you could throw candy at them as they go by. I don't know, grasping at straws here. haha